MKI_GT6
MKI_GT6 New Reader
8/20/14 9:17 p.m.

I posted this in the tech tips but no response so far. Thought I would try it here. I'm researching different designs for the bell crank I'm going to build for the rear pushrod suspension on my GT6. It seems like there are quit a few different methods of pivot, from bearing, to uniball, to oil filled nylon, to rubber bushing, to just rotating on a through bolt. I wanted to get some opinions on what you guys thought might be the best way to allow the bell crank to pivot.

Thanks

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/21/14 1:04 a.m.

If I was fabricating from scratch, I'd go with a sealed bearing. Greasing things sucks. Non greasable squeaks suck more.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
8/21/14 5:37 a.m.

I used sealed needle bearings in conjunction with oilite bronze thrust bearings to deal with any minimal axial load

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/21/14 8:17 a.m.

I am assuming you will be using two per rocker, so I think I'd go with spherical bearings:

With these, you can get away with less than perfect alignment whereas needle bearings have to be spot on. If you use the seals they will last a long time. The downside is they will transmit noise easily, that may or may not be a concern.

If you are going with a single long bushing in the center I'd do a bronze bushing on a hard steel pin. You could do urethane, but it will have 'give'.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
suubd1idR4pXo6SvuwMiPp222nvt4mXoFZeEAZdfvufqT2elEGVERPcribukvuJ6