G_Body_Man Dork
May 27, 2016 12:14 a.m.

Adjustable up to 3" lower in the front, and a fixed 4" lower in the back. This combined with Bushwacker's new pocket-style flares mean that you can now build your new widebody small sports truck of your dreams.

Chadeux Reader
May 27, 2016 12:23 a.m.

The new Colorado isn't small though.

Trans_Maro PowerDork
May 27, 2016 1:07 a.m.

People still build minitrucks?

NickD Dork
May 27, 2016 5:21 a.m.

Have they released a kit that makes the transmission not blow up before 3000 miles though? Because that'd be just grand.

captdownshift UberDork
May 27, 2016 6:19 a.m.

I'll take the bushwacker flares and a long travel suspension on mine in diesel flavor and 2wd on some BFG KO2s or General AT2s.

Yes they aren't small trucks, but they are a parkable size that can navigate a road that doesn't feature 11' wide lanes while still being capable of towing more than an MA miata on an open deck aluminum trailer. And provides seating for 2 adults in the rear (though above 6' in the rear is an issue). In 3 years I hope to have a diesel in the driveway as the daily, I'm even over the sticker based on it serving 3 duties with one vehicle (daily, towing, light/moderate off roading (yes even when opting for 2wd).

bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
May 27, 2016 6:49 a.m.

Boiler plate opinions are like shiny happy people disclaimer

Pocket flares are one of the most atrocious things ever slapped onto a truck or SUV. Flares have a place, exposed hardware and the related "pockets" do not.

Datsun310Guy PowerDork
May 27, 2016 6:59 a.m.

I was looking at one this week and my first thought was it looked tall for 2WD

G_Body_Man Dork
May 27, 2016 11:32 a.m.
NickD wrote: Have they released a kit that makes the transmission not blow up before 3000 miles though? Because that'd be just grand.

No idea. Although the 6L50 transmission appears to suffer mostly from software issues, the few hardware issues reported are a bit troubling.

Chadeux Reader
May 27, 2016 11:40 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

The last crew cab short bed one I saw as parked next to a GMT900 Yukon XL. They looked to be about the same length and height to me. I think I'd rather just have an older full size if it's going to be that big.

wlkelley3 UltraDork
May 27, 2016 11:40 a.m.

The term Mini Truck should be upgraded to Midi Truck since that's what they really are now.

With the brodozer appearance being the fad now, really the 4-wheel drive appearance. All truck look like 4-wheel drive trucks. Found out that it works in the manufacturers benefit. They only have to build one platform and the only differences are the addition of a transfer case, front diff and axles. That's why my new 2WD Tacoma is the same the same height as a 4WD Tacoma. They even advertise off-road capability.

NickD Dork
May 27, 2016 11:41 a.m.
G_Body_Man wrote:
NickD wrote: Have they released a kit that makes the transmission not blow up before 3000 miles though? Because that'd be just grand.

No idea. Although the 6L50 transmission appears to suffer mostly from software issues, the few hardware issues reported are a bit troubling.

I know. I work for GM. We had one that by 290 miles had had 2 new transmissions put in it. Something about the design, there is a large snapring that has to be indexed juuuuuust right or it fatigues the tabs in the case and then breaks them off and junks the case. Seen a few. Also seen a lot of issues with the 3.6L engine, go figure. And the diesel uses a timing belt design (Why?!) with a 150,000 mile interval! That sounds like broken engines just waiting to happen.

chiodos Dork
May 27, 2016 12:35 p.m.

So pretty much no...

Secret_Chimp New Reader
May 27, 2016 12:42 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: People still build minitrucks?

Those who still do are still using garbage-spec 80s and 90s S10s with terrifying drop frames built out of booger-MIG'd square tubing

RealMiniParker UberDork
May 27, 2016 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I saw a delivery-spec Colorado at the FLAPS, next to a ~70ish GMC. Without getting out a tape measure, I'd say they were the same size.

Knurled MegaDork
May 27, 2016 1:29 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: The new Colorado isn't small though.
Trans_Maro wrote: People still build minitrucks?

And we're done here.

G_Body_Man Dork
May 27, 2016 3:38 p.m.

Well since the 6L50 is having issues, why not just row your own with the standard stick?

captdownshift UberDork
May 27, 2016 7:07 p.m.

In reply to G_Body_Man:

Sadly the manual is apparently more soul sucking then actually letting in ponder which gear to select on it's own. The diesel also doesn't have the manual option.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
May 27, 2016 8:07 p.m.

My new diesel canyon should be here next week. Stoked. 30+ highway mpg and can tow as well as the 1500 I have now? Yes please. They're also super easy to park.

NickD Dork
May 28, 2016 5:49 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

And I have yet to actually see a stick shift one. Every one that we've gotten in on our lot has been automatic. The manual Colorado is like the sub-$32000 Colorado: On paper it exists, but I have never seen one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

11 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

22 hours ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

23 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

1 day ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

1 day ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

1 day ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 day ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

1 day ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

2 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

2 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

2 days ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

3 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
yDN6zUKg2qaWDWZohu65bdZJyW9Gl7aW