1 2 3 4
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/19 8:21 a.m.

An E46 BMW with a 6-speed manual with a 2.93 rear end ratio could mathematically hit 208mph at 7000rpms.

(This combination was available in the 330i and 330ci)

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/Speed.htm

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/5/19 8:29 a.m.
Cotton said:
z31maniac said:
ProDarwin said:
z31maniac said:

Also don't forget, at least for me, I would want SIGNIFICANT safety equipment in a car I was planning on breaking the 200mph barrier with. Cage, halo seat, helmet, etc, etc, would easily eat $5k of that budget. 

This.  I was thinking $10k in safety equip for something capable of doing 200mph in 1/2 mile.

I suspect you're right that it would be closer to $10k than $5k. I was just thinking at least an 8pt cage, FIA seat, HANS, a fire bottle as a minimum. 

10+ point cage, higher end FIA seat, nets, fire suit, helmet, fire system with nozzles in the cockpit and engine compartment (takes a long time to slow down from that speed if something lets loose and starts a fire).

For the ecta the rules for newer cars up to 185mph is just safely gear for you body...helmet, fire suit, etc.  Car can be stock.  For up to I think 210mph they want a 4 point cage,  5-6 point belts,  and racing seat.  Now this is for 1 mile racing,  so would have to look up the sanctioning body the OP is looking to run 1/2 mile with to get the details.

For bikes,  which is the class I hope to run this year with my tuned k1300s,  they want leathers, gloves, helmet,  and boots.  The bike needs little things like a tethered kill switch, but that’s it.  My bike should be in the 190s before I hit the rev limiter and the safety gear costs are extremely low.  I realize we’re talking apples to oranges here though since the OP is talking 1/2 mile in a car.  I just think his goal is more achievable,  and at lower cost,  if he can find a 1 or 1.5 mile event to run.

I never mentioned rules, I was just saying what I would want regarding safety for a car like that. I would NEVER trust the front crash structure of any car built in the last 20 years, hell, today, in a 75+ mph crash. Modern cars are designed to do well in the IIHS crash tests, for ratings. Losing control/tire blowout/oil leak/etc at 150+ is not one of the things they aren't tested for. And we all know, anything can happen on track.

I used to track motorcycles, so I understand risk. After wrecking a motorcycle at the track 12+ years ago and still have a bit of limp (and dealt with horrible Post-concussion syndrome headaches) I take safety on course very seriously.

I suspect OP needs to look at things like the Texas Mile and see what cars are hitting 200mph in even 5,280 feet. And also not forget, that its going to put a TON of heat into the brakes to slow down safely from that speed. 

http://www.theusmileracing.com/full-results/?event=26

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/5/19 8:33 a.m.

I'm really not trying to be the proverbial wet blanket, I just think OP isn't really considering what it takes to go that fast, and do it relatively safely.

If there is no concern for safety, buy a 1000cc sport bike, buy your leathers, back brace, gloves, boots, helmet, change the gearing, add some HP, and save $10k.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
1/5/19 8:46 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I'm very concerned with safety. X2 kids, 2 and 4. 

The safety equipment is a given. Pretty much spend what I need to. But, I am interested in the mind hive opinions. 

Based on what I've read a Retired RR nascar with 800+hp is goi g to be the ticked. All the other co figurations are a "maybe" get there. 

I appreciate the bike comments, but I dont ha e the skill on a bike to even consider this. 

In my life, I've been 175ish, but that additional 25mph is a huge undertaking. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/5/19 8:51 a.m.

https://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/d/oak-grove-corvette-for-sale/6786196169.html

buy this.  Spend 10K more on go-fast stuff.  Take it to Texas and use the whole mile getting up to speed.  The 1/2 mile requirement is what’s killing your build right now.

And as for safety, while things “can” happen on a top speed run, it generally isn’t driving into a wall and i’d Think very rarely do they flip.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/19 9:04 a.m.

There's also The Arkansas Mile (June 2-4, 2017). 

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

Ad was deleted. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/19 9:50 a.m.

A C5 should have the gearing for 200 right out of the box, IIRC stock they actually top out in 5th. 6th is a 0.5:1 ratio in most T56 applications, which should get you WELL beyond 200, even with redline at 6k, stock sized tires, and 3.42 rear gears. This seems like the easy button starting point to me, and a beat example should leave plenty in the budget for safety and power adders.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
1/5/19 9:51 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to NordicSaab :

The safest place to go really fast ( assuming you don’t have access to the big testing grounds) is someplace like Bonneville or The dry lakes of California.

Not trying to be a E36 M3 about this but going fast on salt or at the lakes is very very different to doing a Texas mile event. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/19 9:54 a.m.

There is also the Loring Timing Association way up in middle of nowhere Maine. Looks like they run a couple of 1-1.5 mile events per year.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/19 9:56 a.m.

The standing mile formula seems to be c5 or c6 + forced induction + some aero + and at least 700WHP.  I can see that being doable with a 8k c5 twin turbos and e85 and maybe an iron block 6.0 swapped in! 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/5/19 10:45 a.m.

No help on the car selection. But consider another venue if you're looking at the Texas mile. East Coast timing Association has three or four events a year in the Arkansas mile in Blytheville Arkansas. And you already have been through Blytheville or at least close to it!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
1/5/19 11:01 a.m.

Incidentally, Blytheville is pronounced "Bli-vull".  Long 'i'.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/5/19 11:40 a.m.
NordicSaab said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Based on what I've read a Retired RR nascar with 800+hp is goi g to be the ticked. All the other co figurations are a "maybe" get there. 

238mph with significantly less power than a turbo LSx can make. All the swap parts are out there reasonably priced and well documented. They make reasonably quick drag cars with an LSx swap with people putting down low 11's without much skill or setup experience and solidly in 10's with some drag racing experience so the short distance stuff wont be hurt by a bad launch. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
1/5/19 11:56 a.m.

Here you go. Currently for sale on Racingjunk. Asking $35,000. Ran 244 at Bonneville. 211 at The Ohio Mile. Former Dale Earnhardt car

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/19 12:57 p.m.

This is a fun exercise.

My first thought was also F body, or LS swapped FC or 300ZX.

I went looking and found this partial list:

https://ecomodder.com/wiki/Vehicle_Coefficient_of_Drag_List?fbclid=IwAR2xDY0BI8xVcQ6nM58hT3NilwPd5DWB7VRg22A38bJl9pAkkI6DA8p8xqY

Some thoughts:

DSM and SW20 MR2 would be pretty decent choices as they are slippery, can make good power, and have excellent traction.

CRX are surprising, but I'm not sure they're the best choice. I know of one Honda that does 1 mile speed events, an integra that recently broke the 200mph barrier. I think it's over 900hp.

4th gen Fbody has surprisingly bad aero according to that list.

Left field idea: 1st gen Lexus LS400. 0.27 cD is very very slippery, and it has the engine bay for a V8. Slamming it to the ground probably cuts a lot of frontal area as they're not low vehicles.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/5/19 1:11 p.m.

The downside of that list is that some relatively (in the scope of building 800+ hp cars) minor mods can wildly affect the drag coefficient of a car, and by differing amounts.

The same is not true for drag area.

Will
Will UltraDork
1/5/19 1:15 p.m.

Why a road race NASCAR instead of a superspeedway NASCAR? Those have awesome aero and run ~200 mph with about 450 hp through the restrictor plate.

As for the 4th-gen F-body: The Michigan highway patrol tested the LS1 B4C package and it hit 175 mph completely stock. And there's really nothing special about the B4C package itself. Seems like a good starting point. 

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
1/5/19 5:33 p.m.
Will said:

As for the 4th-gen F-body: The Michigan highway patrol tested the LS1 B4C package and it hit 175 mph completely stock. And there's really nothing special about the B4C package itself. Seems like a good starting point. 

I know one of the writers from Car and Driver broke 200 with a 4th gen firebird at Bonneville and then promptly flipped it.  It got extremely squirrelly when it hit 200.  The shape is bad for high speed aero stock.  It became a wing at 200.  The backend took off.  

Wxdude10 - Mike
Wxdude10 - Mike Reader
1/5/19 5:52 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/5/19 6:26 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Sorry.  It was a 97 vette with some drag racing stuff already added, a bit scruffy around the edges, for $6,500.

Anything from VAG with a W12 engine should run over 200 right out of the box.  And since they are invisible to LEO, just do it on a deserted stretch of interstate.  Clarkson did 202 in a Phaeton on the autobahn.

pirate
pirate Reader
1/5/19 8:34 p.m.
Will said:

Why a road race NASCAR instead of a superspeedway NASCAR? Those have awesome aero and run ~200 mph with about 450 hp through the restrictor plate.

Speedway cars are designed to turn left only with chassis, front and rear suspension set up for banked ovals.  The road race chassis are built to turn both right and left on flatter tracks. Having watched numerous high speed crashes don’t think you can beat the chassis integrity of a former NASCAR race car with a cage built into a street car. Especially with the budget listed. The question then becomes what would a heavily modified street car be worth if not built to to a specific spec or rule book. Seems as if OP was trying to tick off a bucket list item not become involved in this form of Motorsport for a long period of time. Will say buying a finished race car will be a whole lot cheaper then building one. My opinion only.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/5/19 11:13 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to NordicSaab :

Wide open for miles so  you rent something with that potential and just do it.  During any event I’ll bet someone with a 250-300 mph car properly prepared and plenty safe enough would gladly rent you the car to offset  his costs especially if your goal is less than the cars potential. 

In all probability it would be far easier and cheaper than safely building your own. 

Came here to say exactly this.

Fly and drive.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/19 2:03 p.m.

Read an article today about a car that ran 208 in the 1/2 mile.  It's a twin turbo Porsche cranking out 1600 AWD hp. 

Going 200 isn't terribly hard.  There are recipes and venues for that.  However going 200 mph in the 1/2 mile or even 1 mile; that's a totally different ball of wax.  And that's why with a budget of 30K a LS powered twin turbo Vette is still going to be the way to go.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/6/19 2:55 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

In reply to yupididit :

Anything from VAG with a W12 engine should run over 200 right out of the box.  And since they are invisible to LEO, just do it on a deserted stretch of interstate.  Clarkson did 202 in a Phaeton on the autobahn.

An indicated 202 maybe, but we all know about optimistic German speedometers, don't we?  It's the law.

demnted
demnted New Reader
7/13/21 6:34 a.m.

not an ad. 1st gen Neon, load the DCR parts cannon.. he had 7 second if memory serves me 1000+HP at FRONT wheels inline 4 turbo 2.7 in early 2000s. 

This same year, Darrell teamed with Jorgen Moller in building the engine and intake manifold for the Bonneville Salt Flats record. In 2003-04 Darrell built and was crew chief for driver, Mike Crawford in the Hot Rod class and Scott Mohler in the All Motor class for NHRA Sport Compact series. In 2004-06, long time driver Mike Crawford finished the Mopar, Dodge and SRT sponsorship for Darrell Cox Racing, setting the all time record for the Dodge SRT-4 of 7.90 e.t at 188mph in the 1/4-mph.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3T4sYsi9EQ7iF50BYlDxqJCeiNRfqo9ifPVESnc0feNjfWT2XVH5B1JLGuN46FD1