dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/11 7:33 a.m.

This

(not the actual car his is pearlescent black with a red and black interior.)

At 290K it cost more than my house. A good friend of mine just got one (same friend that has the R type JAG). We were out in it and bar non it is one of the most amazing cars I have been in. It is so quick I swear it can cause a disturbance in the space time continuum. This is not a sports car this is a 6000lb 2 door 4 seat-er luxury cruiser/muscle car. But 0-60 in 4.3 seconds 0-100 in 8 seconds. Then there is sport mode. It turns it in to a snarling beast. It goes into bonkers mode. It can corner accelerate and brake with the best of them. This was my first experience with carbon/carbon brakes and they are nothing short of amazing. And I now completely understand the logic behind a 6l V12

Since I have never done a "real" car review really don't now where to start or what to say. I just wanted to share.

I know this is silly and childish but one of the coolest thigns is when you are in sport mode and you decelerated it does the exhaust burble thing. You know the thing that Jeremy Clarkson really likes? It does that! Pointless useless purely for your driving pleasure and you know I really like it. You need a grin-ectomy after 3 minutes of driving this thing. I now completely get it. Another thing I really liked was the paddle shift. This one really worked. This car probably has more technology than most third world countries but the dash and the controls are simple unobtrusive and easy to use. It really is transparent. The dash is almost old school with manual pull levers to control the vents.

Anyway I did not get photos but I will be seeing him again this weekend and if I can stop drooling for a moment and pick my jaw up off the ground and get that grin off my face I will try to remember to take a couple.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
7/22/11 7:39 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Then there is sport mode. It turns it in to a snarling beast. It goes into bonkers mode.

Maybe not a pro review, but that may be the best review sentence I've read this year!

Sounds uber-cool, and I'm a little jealous that I don't have friends like that!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/22/11 7:42 a.m.

I was surprised at how small they are in person. I realize that they are heavy, but in photos it looks like it would be as big as a 70's Cordoba, but its actually reasonable. It's no Miata, but it's not a boat either.

dean1484
7/22/11 7:51 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I was surprised at how small they are in person. I realize that they are heavy, but in photos it looks like it would be as big as a 70's Cordoba, but its actually reasonable. It's no Miata, but it's not a boat either.

When I first saw it that was my very first comment actually.

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
7/22/11 10:03 a.m.

Had one pass me on I-15 in Utah - he was cruising at 90.

"I now completely understand the logic behind a 6l V12 "
Are you one of those Geico dudes living under a rock? (no offense intended, but DANG)

dean1484
7/22/11 9:04 p.m.

No offence intended but DANG have you actually driven a car with a 6l v12 that can do 0-60 in 4.3 seconds?

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
7/22/11 10:48 p.m.

If all of you will give me all your money I will buy one and cruise the country going to everyones houses for test drives for the rest of my life I promise

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/23/11 7:09 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

It's funny you mention the Cordoba. I saw a new sedan the other day and the first thing I thought of was it looked like a modernizd Cordoba

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
7/23/11 9:12 a.m.

When I saw a Super Sport up close, I thought that would be the Bentley Darth Vader would drive.

dean1484
7/23/11 10:19 a.m.

My first thaught was

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/11 3:09 p.m.

how do they get it to weigh 6000# if it isn't that big?

KermitHermit
KermitHermit
7/25/12 4:37 p.m.

The Bentley GT Speed. I completely agree with the paddle shift and the dash and controls. I have recently driven one too and it's just amazing how sure a luxary-looking car turns into a monster in sports mode.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/12 4:43 p.m.
a401cj wrote: how do they get it to weigh 6000# if it isn't that big?

The 13 endangered-species, fresh from the Sahara animal carcases in the interior, probably.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
7/25/12 5:55 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
a401cj wrote: how do they get it to weigh 6000# if it isn't that big?
The 13 endangered-species, fresh from the Sahara animal carcases in the interior, probably.

That and I swear have the parts in the car are milled out of billet. The SS is the only Bentley that I have driven that just makes me giggle. The CGT feels tame. Plus it makes stock car like noises when you are least expecting it.

I really think they need to make a SS in the flying spur, the 4 door is actually a better car then the CGT and that would be a freaking hoot. I know that a few people make chips for the stock motor that push it past the SS power.

coll9947
coll9947 Reader
7/25/12 6:21 p.m.

Even if I hit the Powerball tonight I couldn't bring myself to buy something that shares a platform with the Phaeton.

The Bentley is gorgeous for sure, and 6.0L V12 makes me all hot and bothered... but... it's a Phaeton underneath. Some of the buttons and dials are straight out of a Phaeton. You can even bolt a Bentley steering wheel (and paddle shifters!) straight into a Phaeton.

That's the most ae's I've ever typed in one post.

Josh
Josh SuperDork
7/25/12 7:09 p.m.

If I won the powerball I probably would buy a car on the Phaeton platform. It would cost about 20 grand and have a big VW badge though.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/12 7:58 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: The SS is the only Bentley that I have driven that just makes me giggle. The CGT feels tame. Plus it makes stock car like noises when you are least expecting it.

This!!!! Until you drive one you will just do not understand. I did not understand the need for a twin turbo V12 in a car that can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds. A car that is just over the top in so many ways. Then you drive one and you completely understand.

I think giggling like a school girl best describes it. I needed a grin-ectomy after driving that car. I still crack a smile even now when I think about it.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/12 8:29 p.m.
KermitHermit wrote: The Bentley GT Speed. I completely agree with the paddle shift and the dash and controls. I have recently driven one too and it's just amazing how sure a luxary-looking car turns into a monster in sports mode.

Zombie thread revival!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KIv3EEikx13eWWmpIJwHt9YbaEi0Tlc80Sn3ayPJQcfNyXQ5mUZZoxAYkInEbXU0