1 2
phillyj
phillyj New Reader
8/7/08 7:47 p.m.

can you tell me about this car? I like its style, like a updated e30 bmw. Can't find too much info about it though

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/8/08 7:07 a.m.

I seem to remember someone out of St.L autocrossing one a few years back. I think his name was Lynn & he was on solo2.org quite abit, you might try searching there.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
8/8/08 10:34 a.m.

The C230 is a very nice looking car. The supercharged 2.3L 4 cylinder motor isn't anything spectacular though. I had it in my SLK. I think it is basically the same motor with the newer cars having slightly higher compression. Not much torque or power, not very responsive, and didn't sound all that great. Not very moddable either. The few mods that are around are quite expensive.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/8/08 10:50 a.m.

now how can a factory forced induction car not be mod-able?

can you get 'em with a stick? what do they weigh?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
8/8/08 1:41 p.m.

$1k+ for a supercharger pulley for starters

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/8/08 1:56 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: $1k+ for a supercharger pulley for starters

what are your fingers broken? Can't use a lathe?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/8/08 2:14 p.m.

yank the oem pulley- break out your dremel- cut some groves around the shaft- reinstall belt.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/8/08 3:12 p.m.

Its an electro-magnetic clutch solution. Which is why it is so much more expensive.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/8/08 3:46 p.m.

LIKE MADMAX STYLE!!!???

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/8/08 3:58 p.m.

Ah, the car that ruined Mercedes. My sister has one. You'd be wise to avoid.

Details at 11.

fiat22turbo
8/8/08 4:55 p.m.

Well, yeah sorta. The MR-2 with the Supercharger was the same way.

Basically it is just like an A/C compressor clutch.

I'm not sure why they would have it turn on/off, but maybe it is for economy or idle quality, etc.

Stefan

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
8/9/08 2:06 p.m.

oh man, this sucks. I liked the styling on the 4 door 1995- versions.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
8/9/08 4:04 p.m.

They arent really that fast either, my old shelby charger had no trouble passing the "im going to accelrate to 85 mph in the passing lane and then slow back down to 10 mph under the speedlimit at the end" type of people that seem to like driving them. lol

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
8/9/08 4:44 p.m.

too bad about the power. must have been a heavy car. I'm gonna guess 3000lbs

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
8/10/08 9:38 a.m.

They do look fine, though.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/10/08 10:39 a.m.

According to what i found searching on google, they weigh about 3200 lbs and have 189 hp. That would make sense they they are slower than my charger was becasue it had 145 hp but only weighed 2500 lbs.

schumithecat
schumithecat New Reader
8/10/08 10:45 a.m.

I have an 05 c230 with 6 speed used as a daily driver. It is a great car. Not as fast as the 95 M3 I used to drive, but it has been extremely reliable (zero problems in 3 yrs.), very comfortable, great gas mileage (33 mpg highway cruising at 85 with a/c on), excellent brakes, pretty tossable. It can be modded to add significant additional power with a pulley and ECU mod. If you want to drag race kids in turbo civics it probably isn't the car for you. In real world, it will pull from 60 to 125+ mph wonderfully.

integraguy
integraguy Reader
8/10/08 10:57 a.m.

There have been a few of these C230 Kompressor sedans in my neck of the woods for sale too. Yes, they do look great, but if I'm going to have an expensive car to maintain and insure(?) why would I get one that's lacking somewhat in power, isn't really all that mod-able, and won't be worth much as a trade when I'm sick of it?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/11/08 9:49 p.m.

If you really want to know how to mod the pulley on the c230 M62 with the magnetic clutch I did it for my 924ssc project. Went form a 3.5-4" (I forget the exact size now) pulley to a 2 3/8" pulley with out the clutch.

A bit goofy and I think I would have it professional turned up at a machine shop next time but I took two alternator pulleys and melding them together and then grafted them on to the center splined section form the original clutch. (tig welders are your friend) I then had to have the inner section of the pulley turned to fit over the stock bearing on the snout and radius to clear the stock c clip that holds the bearing on the snout. you then have to shim the newly made up pulley to center the bell over the bearings on the snout with washers over the small bolt that was installed through the stack of heavy duty fender washers that was wended to the end of the new pulley.

Ok I have to go get photos to explain this. But it works!!!!

And if I dont get the new lower pulley for my car the 11psi. I am making is maxing the fuel and spark management I have. I have to back it down to 7 until I can get to the Dyno. Thank god for WBO2.

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
8/13/08 7:08 p.m.

whats this magnetic clutch thing? Wikipedia gave me "Magnetic particle clutch." Is this the thing?

fiat22turbo
8/13/08 7:39 p.m.

It is a clutch that uses and electrically activated magnet to provide the clamping versus a purely mechanical method, like say a hydraulically activated lever.

If you've ever seen the inside of an electric motor or a starter solenoid, you'd already know how they work in principle.

The electrico-magnetic solution is a relatively easy way to deal with the spinning parts without having to deal with a throw-out bearing, etc so it also tends to be more compact.

If you look at an Air conditioning compressor, it typically has one of these as well.

the obvious drawbacks to them is that they can draw a lot of current to maintain their grip and decreasing slip is more difficult than it is in a "normal" mechanically operated clutch solution. they also don't deal well with wear of the friction material so occasional adjustment via shims is usually needed.

More info from HowStuffWorks.com

phillyj
phillyj New Reader
8/14/08 9:12 a.m.

Ok i got it. So this is an electromagnetic clutch and what I found on wikipedia "Magnetic particle clutch" is a type of electromagnetic clutch. Correct?

Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_particle_clutch

Now off topic: Are there automotive uses for Magnetic particle clutch? I doubt it and it probably uses alot for electricity.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg New Reader
11/7/08 11:52 a.m.

I have added this car (C230 K Sport Sedan) to my short list for my next daily driver, because I no longer give a whit about modding my daily driver, it's RWD, it's solid, it gets better gas mileage than any other RWD or AWD car I've found to date, and it's thou$$ands less than a BMW or Audi 2.0T Quattro of the same year. Depreciation is our friend, fellow GRM'ers.

Sadly, in 2006 Mercedes ditched the Kompressor in favor of NA V-6 power in their base model. "Sadly" because going that route gained some power and refinement, though not enough to really be competitive with BMW, but lost fuel economy. In fact, I don't think the performance numbers improved at all, so it was kind of a nothing for something trade, in my book.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
10/22/09 5:43 a.m.

I have always really liked these rims. The parts of the equation are exactly what I want; good MPG in a Luxury car that looks sporty and classy as well. What has always kept me away is a fear on Mercedes quality issues and high repair costs associated with repair.

Is there much internet support for these cars?
What is the good owners repair website?

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/09 7:41 a.m.
schumithecat wrote: If you want to drag race 2010 Challenge builders in turbo civics it probably isn't the car for you.

Just an homage to all the turbo Honda drivers who bring those Honda's to the challenge.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3aOwv8VluYT6zRxWz6YCYUssMp5m2w2wfRiqwHG2AqUXEoO5Y7MzAerqejPvC2H4