1 2
dculberson
dculberson UberDork
12/8/15 1:52 p.m.
chiodos wrote: In reply to dculberson: That's just replacing a critical component. Any car that's not map based will run like crap with a torn connector for the charge side.

Of course. My point was that I didn't like things about the car other than the power. Then I got the power back, and the other things I didn't like receded into the background.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/15 2:50 p.m.
Robbie wrote: this is why I never drink and eBay.

Works for Facebook, too.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/15 3:03 p.m.
Tyler H wrote:
Robbie wrote: this is why I never drink and eBay.
Works for Facebook, too.

Meh, I was stone-cold sober. SWMBO should feel lucky it's not a third orange Javelin...

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
12/8/15 4:47 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
chiodos wrote: In reply to dculberson: That's just replacing a critical component. Any car that's not map based will run like crap with a torn connector for the charge side.
Of course. My point was that I didn't like things about the car *other than* the power. Then I got the power back, and the other things I didn't like receded into the background.

My bad, I do see what you mean now.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
12/8/15 6:30 p.m.

I bought a car like that once. Another forum member was selling a project on ebay, so I decided to help him out by bidding it up to what I thought was a "safe" dollar amount.

Checked email in the morning and I was the winner!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/15 8:43 p.m.

Been there done that. I have a shelf of eBay trophies like that.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
12/8/15 9:01 p.m.

I always wondered why the supercharged GM cars at the Pick-n-Pull were missing the superchargers. Now I know why. They sell them for the same $25 they get for a used turbo.

At $325+ a pop in profit, somebody has himself a nice side business.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/15 10:00 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

There's a HUGE difference between the tiny 20-year old Eaton blowers on 3800 V6's and 8-year old complete blowers with intakes from a much rarer model that made the same HP with half the liters.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/8/15 11:25 p.m.
chiodos wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote:
clutchsmoke wrote:
Rufledt wrote: Well, looks like you have to supercharge something now. Them's the rules.
This. How hard could it be?
After all, if Haggard Garage can strap a cheap Turbo to an automatic Protege, practically anyone with internet access can do it as well.
Please for the love of humanity never watch that junk again. We're trying to learn you in the proper way of mechanicals not what those kids berk up

My point is that if those idiots could strap a Turbo to a Protege, how hard could it be?

EvanR
EvanR Dork
12/8/15 11:27 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to EvanR: There's a HUGE difference between the tiny 20-year old Eaton blowers on 3800 V6's and 8-year old complete blowers with intakes from a much rarer model that made the same HP with half the liters.

Clearly someone has a use for those 3800 blowers.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
12/8/15 11:30 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to EvanR: There's a HUGE difference between the tiny 20-year old Eaton blowers on 3800 V6's and 8-year old complete blowers with intakes from a much rarer model that made the same HP with half the liters.
Clearly someone has a use for those 3800 blowers.

You can get them to fit on a lot of things.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/9/15 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

They're actually not much different really, the m45(mini), m62(css/irl), & m90(GM 3800) are all similar designs from Eaton.

The biggest difference & advantage these m62's have is the liquid to air intercooling setup. If it isn't included in the setup, you'll need to order a heat exchanger and electric pump(most of us bought one from ford when ours died, because it was the same Bosch part, but for 1/3rd the price of the GM sold one)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gU2YzPjixEjTS1PA97zvT49FlXTd5FBy3lIkF0o5MXUEn0mSTyrc08XDfi3f7JXH