stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/14/18 11:18 a.m.

I did a search on this board, but the newest response was over 7 years ago.

Any ideas for a knowledgeable place to browse now that it's 2018?

I'm thinking about getting back into the older Mustangs.

thanks. 

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/18 11:40 a.m.

I don't have any input on forums, but what Mustang are you looking for? Any interest in a 65 Hardtop, inline 6, 3-speed manual?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/18 12:23 p.m.

At a guess, it's probably GRM.

I've perused several G35 forums since I bought it. It's kind of depressing knowing the type of people most of the internet is populated with. It's a jungle out there. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/14/18 12:36 p.m.

I cringe to ask what "older" is to you...  (if you say 90's I am going to die a little inside)

Likely able to get good answers on here for the asking, but let us know what years you are looking for.

Also, what are you trying to do with it?   Restoration is one thing, pro-touring another.  Also, 79 up one way and 73-older another.  74-78...  If you are doing that..  awesome! but I am not sure theres a great technical source for those...

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
11/14/18 1:25 p.m.

I have a '66 I need to get back to work on so following with interest. The marque forums are usually pretty good places to find info on what reproduction parts might actually fit and things like that. Mine's more of a street/strip build. Old school .030 over 302 built for a shot of nitrous, C4, 9" rear with 4.88 Detroit locker.

stan
11/14/18 1:45 p.m.

Sorry that I wasn't a bit more specific, but I have a 289, 4-speed and a 9" rear end I'd like to put in something. Probably looking at a 1st-gen Mustang at this point, but have also been looking at Falcons and Comets. I know there are a LOT of Mustang people and parts so I'm thinking that would be the easy (-est) button. Not looking to do anything in particular other than drive around a SBF and 4-speed for a few years (on the street). 

Oh and my avatar is from my '83 Mustang...with a SBF....and a 4-speed that I stupidly sold...

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/14/18 6:15 p.m.

I’m on Vintage Mustang Forum for discussions about my ‘69 Cougar.  Same screen name. I’m also on Classic Cougar Community but it’s pretty slow there. 

For my restomod/Pro Touring focus I’m also on lateral-g.net and Pro-touring.com. I’m not a resto purist and love the builds on these two. The classic forums tend to lean mainly toward restorations or day two style mods (15” wheels as a +1, cams, exhaust). 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
11/14/18 6:30 p.m.
stan said:

Sorry that I wasn't a bit more specific, but I have a 289, 4-speed and a 9" rear end I'd like to put in something. Probably looking at a 1st-gen Mustang at this point, but have also been looking at Falcons and Comets. I know there are a LOT of Mustang people and parts so I'm thinking that would be the easy (-est) button. Not looking to do anything in particular other than drive around a SBF and 4-speed for a few years (on the street). 

Oh and my avatar is from my '83 Mustang...with a SBF....and a 4-speed that I stupidly sold...

Well this explains the lack of response to the email I sent you about the Ranchero....

I think we're close enough to get together for a few wrenching sessions if you're interested.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/14/18 7:25 p.m.
GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/15/18 7:43 a.m.

ranchero's, are awesome,  AKA early one's , there is a 67 w/ 390 4 speed runs around, basic white all oem it's beautiful. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/18 10:38 a.m.

Definitely do not rule out 67-70 Cougars in your search.  Lots of Mustang compatibility, no Mustang stigma.  (Plus some really cool rear turn signals...)

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/15/18 10:51 a.m.

^^^What he said!  I haven't yet crashed when leaving a Cars & Coffee in my Cougar!

stan
11/15/18 11:28 a.m.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I will visit VMF asap.

..and I'm looking at everything. Missed an opportunity on getting an engine-less '63 Falcon (same wheelbase) by a few days...

Sorry Indy-Guy! Did that go to my yahoo account? (I've recently changed my email, so try again?) Also, I'm about 45 minutes east of Richmond and will keep you in mind if/when. And. If you need a hand, just let me know.

Stan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9Rzkufga9ETHRvFuCdGgLCZyiWAFEUnKTWwJ3N460QvlzGQbSuMAise8LixTZWL