1 ... 3 4 5 6
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/21/16 11:13 p.m.

Not many people know this, but the Toyota Camry has stuff guys like, like rims, and the sleekness of the body. Plus, it's grounded to the ground.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
9/21/16 11:30 p.m.

LHD MGAs still have the throttle linkage from the pedal in the same place as the RHD version. They just use a long rod on the throttle pedal that goes across the firewall to the RHD location.

If you're the passenger, you can hook the toe of your boot under the linkage and work the throttle yourself.

Scares the hell out of the driver.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/16 7:45 a.m.

Hondas usually have a hood prop service position. On the S2000 you remive the prop and place it in a hole by the battery.

E46 M3 with SMG will give you an extra manual gearbox setting when you turn off traction control all the way. In this setting you can also activate launch control.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/22/16 8:59 a.m.

On the Mercedes R class there is an extra bulb is that in the rear light cluster. When one of the turn signal lights or brake lights burn out or don't work for whatever reason that bulb takes over and you get a message on the dash.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/16 10:05 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: In reply to CobraSpdRH: On a lot of cars with push-button start, pushing the button with the brake pedal pressed starts the car. If you don't press the brake pedal, it'll just turn on accessory power.

On stick shift cars, it's the clutch. With your foot off the clutch, the first button push gets you ACC. Second gets you IGN. Third shuts it off. At least, that's the Mazda way.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
9/22/16 10:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
rslifkin wrote: In reply to CobraSpdRH: On a lot of cars with push-button start, pushing the button with the brake pedal pressed starts the car. If you don't press the brake pedal, it'll just turn on accessory power.
On stick shift cars, it's the clutch. With your foot off the clutch, the first button push gets you ACC. Second gets you IGN. Third shuts it off. At least, that's the Mazda way.

IIRC from the S4 I drove at one point, for the Audis with a stick, you have to press both the brake and clutch to start it. I initially tried with just the clutch pressed and it didn't start.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
9/22/16 11:59 a.m.

On chrysler minivans (not sure on what all model years but a bunch of them) the cowl area can be unbolted and removed from the firewall in a matter of 5-10 minutes to give you easy access to the rear of the engine. This was an awesome thing to discover.

My buick riviera had an extra set of headlights mounted outward of the turn signals. When you put the turn signal on the light comes on that side lighting the way around the urn.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/16 12:00 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: On the Mercedes R class there is an extra bulb is that in the rear light cluster. When one of the turn signal lights or brake lights burn out or don't work for whatever reason that bulb takes over and you get a message on the dash.

Probably one of the rear fog lights. They will do this in the front, too. Headlight burns out, the control module will light up that side's driving light and then tell you.

Knurled
9/22/16 12:01 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote: My buick riviera had an extra set of headlights mounted outward of the turn signals. When you put the turn signal on the light comes on that side lighting the way around the urn.

This used to be the way most high end American cars were. They're called cornering lights.

I think they started showing up in the late 60s. Every 70s car that my friends and I had were equipped with them, and some of them even worked!

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
9/22/16 12:13 p.m.

My MGB has a fresh air vent hidden way up under the dash, I think it is supposed to be operated by feel. MGB's also have a plug in the center tunnel, remove it and you can reach the dipstick for the transmission - yes a dipstick on a manual transmission.

On my Volvo 1800 you didn't slam the hood/bonnet to close it. It opened by swinging a large lever under the dash. When you were done, set the hood down nicely, swing the lever the other way and the hood would close.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
9/22/16 1:25 p.m.
RevRico wrote: In reply to Brett_Murphy: Oh yes, the battery killer switch. I never was a fan of that one. As far as I know, the hill holder is Subaru standard, which is a feature I wish I had in San Francisco. Before I spend an hour pushing buttons and turning keys, does anyone know any secret codes for the 06 era grand Cherokee?

Not all Subaru's have the hill holder. It went away for a while and then came back. My 02 and 05 WRX's didn't have it nor my 97 Outback. I am not sure WRX or WRX STi's have ever had it

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/16 5:30 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
gearheadmb wrote: My buick riviera had an extra set of headlights mounted outward of the turn signals. When you put the turn signal on the light comes on that side lighting the way around the urn.
This used to be the way most high end American cars were. They're called cornering lights. I think they started showing up in the late 60s. Every 70s car that my friends and I had were equipped with them, and some of them even worked!

My 66 Caddy has a set. They're actually a really good idea. It also has a little amber light on the top of the fender (approximately 15' away from the driver) that shows you the indicator is on. So it encourages you to signal - at night, anyhow - but makes sure you can't miss the fact it's flashing. Pretty smart.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/16 6:14 p.m.
NGTD wrote:
RevRico wrote: In reply to Brett_Murphy: Oh yes, the battery killer switch. I never was a fan of that one. As far as I know, the hill holder is Subaru standard, which is a feature I wish I had in San Francisco. Before I spend an hour pushing buttons and turning keys, does anyone know any secret codes for the 06 era grand Cherokee?
Not all Subaru's have the hill holder. It went away for a while and then came back. My 02 and 05 WRX's didn't have it nor my 97 Outback. I am not sure WRX or WRX STi's have ever had it

My 2015 WRX has it. 05 Impreza RS did not. 96 Legacy Outback did.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/16 6:19 p.m.
SEADave wrote: My MGB has a fresh air vent hidden way up under the dash, I think it is supposed to be operated by feel. MGB's also have a plug in the center tunnel, remove it and you can reach the dipstick for the transmission - yes a dipstick on a manual transmission.

This was common in BMC cars. I had a 59 Austin A55 Cambridge that had the plug for the dipstick. I was driving along in deep slush with a new girlfriend in the passenger seat. It seems the slush was building up between the trans and the body, because suddenly there was a scream from the passenger seat and I looked over to see a geyser of grey slush rocketing up from the trans tunnel and covering my girlfriend. I laughed hysterically (which may not have been the right response...). Hardy girl - 42 years later, she's still with me. Still hates old cars 'though.

Knurled
9/22/16 7:02 p.m.

Crossword puzzle hint:

Six letters, starts with S, 5th letter is an R, clue is "Maker of weird cars that also have dipsticks on manual transmissions."

You have two choices and they're both right.

(And some of those S cars have TWO dipsticks on a transmission, one for ATF and one for gear oil!)

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
9/22/16 7:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Knurled wrote:
This used to be the way most high end American cars were. They're called cornering lights. I think they started showing up in the late 60s. Every 70s car that my friends and I had were equipped with them, and some of them even worked!
My 66 Caddy has a set. They're actually a really good idea. It also has a little amber light on the top of the fender (approximately 15' away from the driver) that shows you the indicator is on. So it encourages you to signal - at night, anyhow - but makes sure you can't miss the fact it's flashing. Pretty smart.

The 79 Lincoln has the corner lights too.. but not the extra blinker. I had to look realy hard to see if the signals were really working

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
9/22/16 7:41 p.m.
mndsm wrote: If you buy a beige corolla, no high school.girl will ever flirt with you. I learned this a long time ago.

Or College. I learned the hard way.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/16 8:05 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
mndsm wrote: If you buy a beige corolla, no high school.girl will ever flirt with you. I learned this a long time ago.
Or College. I learned the hard way.

If you buy your wife a new Fiat they will wish you were their dad.

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
9/22/16 9:50 p.m.

On some late 70s/80s GM stuff, there were fiber optic lines to little doodads on top of the fenders that showed if the headlights and turn signals were working. For the back, they were piped into the headliner at the top of the rear window, and you could see them by looking in the mirror.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
9/23/16 12:23 a.m.

You can defeat the clutch interlock switch on a Ford Ranger by sticking a shoeless left foot under the dash.

tedium850
tedium850 Reader
9/23/16 8:36 a.m.

Early MG Midgets and A-H Sprites (probably most LBC's) had a mechanical lever on the fuel pump to prime the carbs WHEN you ran out of gas.

drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
9/26/16 11:45 a.m.

Miata's all come from the factory with manual traction control.

In the snow or ice, I would pull up the parking brake a few clicks to help get moving. Once moving I would release it. Would probably work for almost anything rear drive.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/26/16 12:48 p.m.

B6 Passat has a feature where every time you shut it off the wipers move slightly so that they never get locked into a "set" position. It's kinda cool how the wipers never get that chatter on the upstroke that every other car I've owned eventually develops.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UberDork
9/26/16 1:36 p.m.

Allroads with the "Hot Weather Package" have a sunroof that is also a solar panel which runs the blower motor as long as the sun shines. This keeps the interior at a very reasonable temperature on a hot day.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
9/26/16 1:49 p.m.
Slippery wrote: Hondas usually have a hood prop service position. On the S2000 you remive the prop and place it in a hole by the battery. E46 M3 with SMG will give you an extra manual gearbox setting when you turn off traction control all the way. In this setting you can also activate launch control.

Honda Fit has two different holes, one in the normal hood up position, the other one is further back on the hood and that hood goes darn near vertical. Makes plug changes a breeze.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cYD42g0QwCsYE15Py5WgeSHWuwXLH0mB3FBmswiAyjSjE4tFBwFC9WqqbPJIqCjA