1 2
stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/14 8:46 a.m.

I have a lot of vacation time and I'm looking for an adventure. What states should I look at for cars that are rust-free or close to it generally?

thanks, Stan

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
6/19/14 8:54 a.m.
stan wrote: I have a lot of vacation time and I'm looking for an adventure. What states should I look at for cars that are rust-free or close to it generally? thanks, Stan

Michigan. On no, you said rust free!

When I was living in Mexico a guy we were with went over the boarder to Tuscon and picked up a mint Bronco 2 and a 70 T. Bird and had them shipped back to Michigan. Amazing completely rust free vehicles.

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/19/14 8:57 a.m.

Washington and California

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/14 8:59 a.m.

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, SoCal.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
6/19/14 9:00 a.m.

I can say w/ the utmost certainty it ain't Pa., so scratch that off the list.

Hope that helps.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
6/19/14 9:05 a.m.

Southern AZ. Period. It's super dry. The F-I-L's 91 Civic STD had a small parking lot accident in Jersey the week before he moved to Tucson. It had developed a light coating of surface rust on that fender. It stopped and was that way for 11 years in Tucson before he sold the car. Not a single spec of rust from anywhere on that thing.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/19/14 9:14 a.m.

There's plenty of states that are good for that, including Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California, The carolinas, Georgia, certain parts of Florida, Oklahoma, etc... But they not only need to have rust free cars, they need to have the cars. I've found that Washington seems to have an unusually high number of clean classic cars for some reason.
But just as importantly, if you are buying a vehicle you are going to drive all year round, you need to make sure to protect it immediately, or it will literally disintegrate within a year or two.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
6/19/14 9:25 a.m.

for my fly-drives - both 911s came from Texas, the e28 from maryland (car was from CA and only been in MD for 2 months), 928 from san francisco, early bronco from Arkansas (life lesson vehicle - was a rust bucket). My take on things is that bigger cities/wealthier places have more interesting, well-preserved junk.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/14 9:33 a.m.

Easy, the further away from PA the better.

Tom_Spangler
6/19/14 9:59 a.m.

I'd say it also depends on where you are coming from and how much driving you want to do. For me in Michigan, I would look in the Atlanta area first for several reasons. First, as we've documented on this forum, there seem to be a lot of interesting enthusiast cars there. Second, it's a Delta hub like DTW so I can fly there any time for relatively cheap. Third, it's an easy day's drive back home.

Having said that, the one time I did a fly-and-drive, I went to Rhode Island. So don't listen to me.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/19/14 10:42 a.m.

As mentioned the Southwest holds many rust-free cars. The problem is the climate is so dry and hot the interiors are usually trashed. So you get a beautifully clean body--- with ripped seats, cracked dashboards, faded paint, etc. This is great if you are doing a full-on resto. Less great if you just want a nice car. This isn't a problem for fairly modern cars, but if you are looking at something old--- it's an issue.

I'd look at places with moderate climates, that don't salt roads. ( GA, NC, SC, TN, AL, MS, FL, WA, OR )

Colorado and New Mexico can be good-- as they don't salt, but expect the paint to be faded, and the dash to be cracked. The windshields will also be pitted, as they use gravel out there-- which sandblasts the glass.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/19/14 11:16 a.m.

Mexico, loose emissions, no rust, high value for your dollar, mexican super bee valiant

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/19/14 11:17 a.m.

in the country, arizona

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
6/19/14 11:25 a.m.
ryanty22 wrote: Mexico, loose emissions, no rust, high value for your dollar, mexican super bee valiant

Having lived in Mexico for a short time and having spent many vacations there as well, I've never seen a car older than 6 months look that clean down there.

Also what about importing it. Once it's over 25 years you can do it, but is it feasible as a fly and drive. What about stopping to get it inspected and legal for importation.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/19/14 11:32 a.m.

Its mexico, drive across a dirt road somewhere in the backroads of arizona and worry about it later. Make your car an illegal alien

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/14 11:35 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: As mentioned the Southwest holds many rust-free cars. The problem is the climate is so dry and hot the interiors are usually trashed. So you get a beautifully clean body--- with ripped seats, cracked dashboards, faded paint, etc. This is great if you are doing a full-on resto. Less great if you just want a nice car. This isn't a problem for fairly modern cars, but if you are looking at something old--- it's an issue. I'd look at places with moderate climates, that don't salt roads. ( GA, NC, SC, TN, AL, MS, FL, WA, OR ) Colorado and New Mexico can be good-- as they don't salt, but expect the paint to be faded, and the dash to be cracked. The windshields will also be pitted, as they use gravel out there-- which sandblasts the glass.

I believe CO started using MagChloride about 5-7 years ago... at least in the areas I used to drive (in and around Denver).

Also, CO doesn't have any sort of inspection requiring you to have a clear windsheild in order to register your car, so you see lots of REALLY BAD windshields.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/19/14 11:48 a.m.

Joe mentioned something I forgot about. I bought my CRX in Florida. It was literally rust free. But since I bought it I've had to replace MANY interior and exterior plastic pieces because they were brittle and broke.
I think no matter where you buy an old car, there are going to be trade offs.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
6/19/14 12:03 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: I've found that Washington seems to have an unusually high number of clean classic cars for some reason.

Oregon too... just avoid the coast...... Yes it rains in Wash and Oregon... but there is little, or no road salts used here...

Tom_Spangler
6/19/14 12:05 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Joe mentioned something I forgot about. I bought my CRX in Florida. It was literally rust free. But since I bought it I've had to replace MANY interior and exterior plastic pieces because they were brittle and broke. I think no matter where you buy an old car, there are going to be trade offs.

No doubt. But I'd rather replace interior trim for the rest of my life than deal with rust.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/19/14 12:17 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Michigan. On no, you said rust free!

Right. Michigan is the answer to "Where can I get cars for free due to rust".

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
6/19/14 12:37 p.m.

The cleanest old cars I've seen came from west Texas, but they were full of dust. Montana and Wyoming are good places to look as well, since they don't have the beating sun that destroys interiors like the southwest.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/14 3:39 p.m.

When bringing a car up from the desert, be sure to check it underneath. The under side has often been stripped of paint / coating by all the sand and gravel. The metal will be good, but bare. It will rust super fast if not treated. Get out the POR15!

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/14 4:47 p.m.

Atlanta area of GA, TX, SoCal, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona. Oklahoma isn't bad either. They get some snow, but don't use salt.

I really like Atlanta cars. Its salt-free, but not blazing desert heat. With Arizona, Nevada, and parts of TX you trade the rust-free bonus for the pitfalls of completely wasted interiors.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/14 6:58 p.m.

Be careful in thinking all of the cars from TX are good too. There has been a huge flight to TX from the north, especially IL and NY. So there are some really crappy cars here. Also the interior do take the heat damage.

I would also look Alabama. It's pretty darn cheap overall and the quality of cars are good.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/19/14 7:20 p.m.

Didn't a lot of the Katrina cars end up in TX also?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kaw5mlIOJRN4cTnEtNlNQZgRqNPMiH9w9LjGKPpoEp0skagIldhb6qGJtIy0dcAG