1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/21/15 8:29 a.m.

Zoombie thread.

The fate of the subaru was decided when an axle came apart and the wife was driving. I did a junkyard swap on the engine and that was OK, but the axle, for her, was it. It has a home outside of Asheville, NC now.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/21/15 9:24 a.m.

Good to know. I plan to drive this monstrosity, assuming I actually get it built, so a little axle falling out is no problemo.

Also, I realized that the cheap shell in Chicago is likely an auto and therefore not worth the drive. If anyone sees a cheap(ish) 05-09 Legacy/outback with either an H6 or a manual trans that is in good physical shape, let me know.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
5/21/15 10:44 a.m.

As a note on these swaps, as it's something I've looked seriously into, the ez30r (05-09 3.0) and the EZ36 are both DBW with a CANBUS ECU. This means you HAVE to run an aftermarket ECU or it's a HUGE hassle. You could swap in the dash, cluster, body immobilizer unit, ecu, tcu, climate control and a couple other modules, but I've only heard of one person doing that. This means for a road car, passing any sort of inspection can be difficult, and the reason I bought a '95 legacy.

Dropping the motor in is the easy part. It's the wiring that's a total pain on these swaps. Everything physically fits, but the wiring take a LOT of work to get right.

How cheap are you looking to buy an H6? and which version?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
5/21/15 11:12 a.m.

I don't even have a car yet, just wanting to throw it out there for people to keep their eyes peeled. A 1500 EZ36 would be a pretty good deal to me. In central Missouri there are no rules. It is the wild west here. I am planning a Megasquirt (3 probably) for the build anyhow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
81FmfunqA6xRNP70KgS9DEIh7b9GCYeLPz0XXIvyuCBQm7OqUc8Ol0muR8osaMbe