dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/5/19 1:10 p.m.

With the newly acquired 2014 Volt comes a serious need for new tires. We'll only drive about 5,000-7,500 miles/year in this car so most of the long life tires will age out before the tread is gone. I want an all season as I don't plan on running separate summer and winter sets. What I prioritize is handling - including rain and occasional snow - and low road noise over longevity. We don't get a ton of snow here in Columbus, but 2-3 times a year it'll be driven in significant snow and those need to be safe times.

Right now the front runner for me is the Yokohama YK740 GTX. They seem to be highly recommended. It has a 60k mile warranty which like I said means little to me as we'll probably replace them in 5-6 years with only 30-40k miles on them.

Any other input on the best tire for our use?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/19 1:30 p.m.

Westlake RP18, not bad in the wet or snow, dirty cheap. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
6/5/19 1:33 p.m.

I can't say I have hardcore experience with a wide range of all season touring tires, but with the experience I do have, I like the General Tire RT43. If you look at Tire Rack data they always perform really well in wet, snow and dry. CR data favors them too. The price is very good and they are GRM supporters. They may not be as refined as some, but I'd rather have the performance and value. The have a lower treadwear rating than some of the pricier offerings from bigger brand names, which I suppose may be part of the reason they perform better.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
6/6/19 9:56 a.m.

I have the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus (yeah it's a mouthful) on mine.  Quieter, and smoother than the OEM tires, maybe lost a mile or two of range.  Have only had them on for about 20k miles, but they seem to be wearing well (i.e. wearing evenly and slowly).  The OE tires lasted me about 70k miles, and I have confidence these will do the same.  I only drove in snow a few times with them.  I usually swap to my snow tires but I got by this winter without doing so.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/6/19 10:30 a.m.

I will always recommend the Continental DWS (or its current replacement) for year-round dailies that will see rain and snow.  I've had multiple sets on multiple cars and I love them.  Very good dry, wet, and light snow handling.

Not sure if they come in the size you need.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hSTBmiGBQVUDeuhI8uld7dqnB4VU8fUQYm3xCeBvKUC1MNsuBIIUyNwIIq2Hn32Z