bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
3/4/09 11:02 a.m.

I haven't had to change one in many years. What brand is considered the best, and where do you guy it?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
3/4/09 11:56 a.m.

I've always heard Spicer were good. I put them in one of my Spitfires.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/4/09 1:21 p.m.

Normal applications - Spicer

Heavy Duty - Alloy USA (*disclaimer - I work for them)

Insane duty - CTM

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
3/6/09 5:49 a.m.

Anyone know where to get any of these? All I can find is Precision (Federal Mogul) and Neapco.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/6/09 6:39 a.m.

Since we're on the subject, any of you guys with access to the catalogs know it there is a u-joint available that would fit the 1961-63 Pontiac Tempest & LeMans axel shafts?

According to the guys on the Pontiac forums they're nla. I don't have the specs, but could get them if needed.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
3/6/09 7:08 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Anyone know where to get any of these? All I can find is Precision (Federal Mogul) and Neapco.

I bought mine from a local driveline repair shop.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/6/09 8:19 a.m.

Any major brand is good for standard duty.. Just run away from the super junko ones @ cheapo auto parts stores.

A hint is that non greaseable joints are slightly stronger due to no holes for grease fittings. They will not last as long as a good greaseable though.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/6/09 10:12 p.m.

I have always had the best luck with the sealed non greaseable ones, I just pack them full at installation. There's no grease holes drilled through which reduces strength. If you think you need to grease them, drill and tap the caps for 4 individual grease fittings and squirt away.

If you get U joints with that 'clear' grease, do yourself a favor and pack them with 'real' grease before installation. BTDT.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/6/09 11:17 p.m.

I'd like to find a replacement U-joint for the mercedes. I called up a shop and they made it sound like a big deal, but my old man is an expert with a press and could do the U-joint no problem. I'd just hate to pull it open only to find out the part is NLA.

When you test the U joint you just move it back and forth and feel if anything is binding, right? Mine felt a little sticky in one direction.

Good topic!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/7/09 7:00 p.m.

A number of 4x4 boards have praise for the Neapco units.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ceTzD5U3fYdNX9JYwqDTR2gPJKBn4TploCnyymHFmCBWOWqpJmWc2aQs8afizSeI