edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/29/16 1:42 p.m.

Hi all,

I'm short on garage space right now - the place we bought doesn't have one and I want to build a shop eventually. However, I still want to go ahead and learn how to get a megasquirt installation running from scratch. My idea is to get hold of a junkyard engine mounted on an engine stand and get it to run using a megasquirt instead of the factory ECU. Anyone ever gone down this route? Any suggestions as to what engine would be a good candidate? I'm thinking a small 4-banger would be ideal. Or is there a better way of learning to use megasquirt altogether?

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
4/29/16 2:02 p.m.

I have no advice to offer on this but have also wondered the same thing for learning to play with one.

maybe a bit more costly but a fuel injected motorcycle engine would be even smaller and could sit on top of a work bench.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/16 2:18 p.m.

I think you don't even need an engine, start with a STIM!

http://www.megamanual.com/v21stim.htm

The website said: The stimulator (aka. stim) is a small board that supplies the signals to MegaSquirt® controller that would normally come from the engine to your MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, and display the outputs from your MegaSquirt® controller on a series of LEDs. This allows you to test MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, and learn the tuning software. It also helps you to verify that MegaSquirt® is operating correctly if you have problems on the vehicle, and lets you 'play' with MegaSquirt® to better understand how it operates. Before assembling your MegaSquirt® EFI Controller, you should assemble the stimulator, which you will use to test your MegaSquirt® as you proceed.
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/29/16 3:03 p.m.

Best way to get started is to learn by doing. I got started by putting together an MS1 V2.2 (back when that was all there was) for my Dart. It's often cheaper and quicker to just start with some beater car than to fab up a good run stand.

robotic
robotic GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/29/16 3:13 p.m.

If you have the driveway space, just buy a cheap, easy to work on car and use it instead. It shouldn't take too much to get it running on MS if you do the homework up front (read the Megamanual, familiarize yourself with the car's wiring diagrams).

It's not the absolute cheapest route (save some money by getting the MS kit and soldering it yourself), but to get it going on your own, buy a preassembled MS2 or MS3 and relay board from DIYautotune, and a junkyard Ford EDIS setup (crank trigger wheel, VR sensor, controller and coils) for about $80.

I did this and was surprised at how straightforward it was. No real issues with initial startup, mostly because I spent the time researching, and once I wired and installed it, there were enough videos online that walked me through the tunerstudio settings needed to get going.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
4/29/16 3:33 p.m.

As Robbie mentioned, the simulator is an awesome way to get started with Megasquirt. Learning both software and hardware can sometimes be tricky when working on an actual car. The simulator helps establish a good understanding of what is involved.

I took it to the next level and built a portable engine dyno to experiment with. Installing a megasquirt on just an engine allows you to confirm the engine will run, but without a load you really cannot do much tuning.

B3 engine with megasquirt

Link to portable engine dyno with megasquirt.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/16 3:45 p.m.

Are you already familiar with using Megasquirt in an existing config? If not, then I think doing that is the right first step. Get a megasquirt for a known-working car (Miata is a great choice), install a known-working base map, and start playing with it. Datalog things, tune the fuel, take it to the dyno, add some octane, play with the timing to look for more power. By starting with a known-working base you can change things one at a time and if you get lost (make that WHEN you get lost) you can just throw it all out and go back to your base. Once you're familiar with doing all of that, THEN think about trying to build something from zero.

Trying to start from scratch with an ECU you're not familiar with is a recipe for extreme frustration, IMHO. Doing it on an engine stand doesn't sound very useful unless you've got an engine dyno as well because you won't be able to tune it with any load on the engine.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/29/16 8:41 p.m.

All good thoughts, thanks for the ideas all! I didn't think of the stimulator idea, that's also a good one. I've read through lots of the diyautotune website and most of the megamanual online, and at some point you reach a limit to reading and just want to give it a crack.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/29/16 10:39 p.m.

Climb up on that high dive platform and strike a pose.

I dove in head first and never looked back.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/29/16 11:14 p.m.

Just do it. I'm not technically or electrically inclined and got mine running. The forum support is really great as well.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
4/30/16 5:24 a.m.

As others have said, just do it, and then go find msefi and spend some time over there...

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
4/30/16 8:58 a.m.

Do it on a Pre-OBDII car and be smog legal!

I have run Turbo Volovo's through DEQ here in OHreGun, with an MS in sight on the floor and a laptop on the pass seat open and running Tuner Studio and passed!

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/16 9:32 a.m.

Install megasquirt into your one and only daily driver, guaranteed you'll learn it. and fast too!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
4/30/16 8:16 p.m.
Run_Away wrote: Install megasquirt into your one and only daily driver, guaranteed you'll learn it. and fast too!

Scary, but it works!

Also, msextra.com and the MSExtra facebook group for help.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Riv0dvuVXMzqbNrLHDieW4NT6IbOjdGCtIKz9F1QPKysuOGqpbAaFT5uPH2nmksv