1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/22/19 3:51 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

Andy, I think you and I have similar ideas in mind for what we want our cars to be. Fun street cars that see the occasional track day that won't beat you up when running errands.

My car is equipped with Koni Sports, Eibach Pro-Kit springs with matching bumpstops, Eibach antiroll bars, and lightweight wheels w/Hankooks RS4s. The Konis are set at 3/4 turn from soft and the ARBs are on their soft setting.

My car is perfectly comfortable on the street, wife approved, and feels very much at home on a track or fun backroad. Eventually I plan to go with Ground Control coilover sleeves so I can increase the static spring rates to reduce my reliance on bumpstops as supplemental springs, but right now I'm very happy with the car,

This is almost the exact recipe I have in my 924s. Extremely competent on the track and very good on the street. 

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
12/22/19 5:27 p.m.

TBH, I get pretty concerned with adding dampers and springs to an older, daily-driven vehicle a potentially questionable uni-body structure.

My concern is once you've driven a vehicle for a certain period of time, metal fatigue comes into play. Once one decides to add higher rate springs/stiffer dampers, you're effectively removing the dampening characteristics from the suspension and moving it to the uni-body structure. You could pretty much plan for every interior panel to start squeaking and a car that won't effectively handle the way you would want, nor ride the way you want during the week.

With it being older, I'd lean towards adding TRIANGULATED front/rear strut tower braces that tie in to the firewall and trunk floor first then add front/rear adjustable anti-roll bars. Doing it this way allows you to assess exactly how much of a torsion, or twisting moment is occurring when you turn into a corner-you'd be surprised!  It also keeps the coil springs/dampers doing what you're supposed to do;  maintain the suspension system at a predetermined height and support added weight without excessive sagging and control spring oscillation (assuming you're still on OEM wheels).  

Depending on how far you plan to take this daily, those upgrades that others alluded to, will only enhance the upgrading of wheelsets/suspension system.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lHqafF0KsLz4kCH4V0czAdmANWaEp8QdsckQwDqAdroSbYBkGLimpXaR6BmLx9n8