Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/7/17 9:26 p.m.

So I need to start thinking about wiring, I would like to rewire my RX7 and I will need to wire my dads car and I'd like to rewire my motorcycle one day. So I need to figure out some type of crimp connectors to us!

Iv been using Molex & JST connectors for work for a while, anything from 38-18AWG wire so some small stuff. Did some looking and looks like the GM style delphi crimps and connectors seem like the answer for cars. Looks like a cheap crimper and a kit with lots of connectors can be had for under $200. Plus you can get wether proof ones and they seem to fit 24-14AWG which covers most cars applications.

So I wanted to see what you guys use and what you think about the GM style and how easy they are to use?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/7/17 9:57 p.m.

Link to that kit.?

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/8/17 7:51 a.m.

Hey NoHome, that was just a random photo for the sake of a photo. 

Here is the kit I think I would get (Ebay Delphi crimp tool kit)

It has the better ratcheting style crimper and enough crimps to keep me going for a while. Seems good enough for home garage use and would make my life much easier. 

But still hung up on that or just get a standard molex kit?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/8/17 9:29 a.m.

Crap that's a nice kit. My preference is generally the DMC Daniels type kits because I like cannon plugs but those Delphi kits are a really close second and less than half the price.

Plus the refills are a lot cheaper than I thought.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/17 10:00 a.m.

I like Deutsch the best for ease of crimping but they are more expensive. Otherwise I would go Metripack/Weatherpack. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
12/8/17 10:05 a.m.

The best are also the cheapest.

Deutsch DTM Connector Kit

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
12/8/17 10:19 a.m.
chaparral said:

The best are also the cheapest.

Deutsch DTM Connector Kit

That is less pieces for more money, so not really the cheapest. I have never used the deutsch stuff, so I can't say that they are better or worse, but the gm weatherpack stuff is really really good. If you buy those and crimp them properly they will serve you well.

EvanB
12/8/17 1:12 p.m.

Those are the stamped and formed Deutsch connectors (and it doesn't come with a crimper). The solid contacts are so much easier to crimp (and more expensive).

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/17 1:18 p.m.

The Deustch DT/DTP/DTM connectors are EXTREMELY solid.  I've had great luck with both the stamped and solid Deutch pins.

The stamped ones can be crimped with this cheapie tool off of Amazon, which is of surprisingly good quality: https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Ratchet-Crimper-AWG28-18-0-1-1-0MM%C2%B2/dp/B017JU20Z6/

EvanB
12/8/17 1:33 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 1:55 p.m.

Thanks to you guys I'm spending my afternoon looking through the LADD online catalog. It does a pretty good job showing how the Deutsch connectors work. 

LADD Catalog

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/9/17 7:48 a.m.

Ah the Deutsch connectors are the other ones iv sen used on cars. I like them but I don't like that you have to put all the wires through the seal before you crimp them. I can see me forgetting to do that often. 

Now what style of connectors will still be in use 10-20 years? This should be a investment so I don’t want to have to buy into another system down the road or rewire something due to the crimps not being available. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/9/17 8:10 a.m.

Anyone know if Mazda style connector parts are available?

EvanB
12/9/17 1:31 p.m.
Skervey said:

Ah the Deutsch connectors are the other ones iv sen used on cars. I like them but I don't like that you have to put all the wires through the seal before you crimp them. I can see me forgetting to do that often. 

Now what style of connectors will still be in use 10-20 years? This should be a investment so I don’t want to have to buy into another system down the road or rewire something due to the crimps not being available. 

You are thinking of the weather/metripack putting the seals on first. With deutsch you just crimp the connector and insert it into the body. The seal is on the back side of the terminal shell.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/9/17 5:43 p.m.

DTM connectors are a little more expensive, but worth it.  With the exception of crimping the pins on the wires, they're totally rebuildable with nothing more than a small screwdriver and some forceps.  Proper crimpers are pretty cheap on eBay.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/10/17 11:20 a.m.

I ordered a couple different sets of These to try out. Haven't had them long but we will see when I get around to using them.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/10/17 8:47 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer : That’s a good price, what about the crimp tool?

Ya I like the ones that get one seal per wire, just seems like a better system. They also have the Delphi’s that are not weather proof for a bit cheaper. Good for under the dash.  

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/10/17 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Skervey :

No tool provided. I think one of the ones posted earlier here would work though. I would have to compare them to the real deal but the quality seems pretty good at first examination.

Edit: I will compare the crimps to the big names. Likely it is a complete copy of one.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
12/11/17 8:18 a.m.
Skervey said:

In reply to singleslammer : That’s a good price, what about the crimp tool?

Ya I like the ones that get one seal per wire, just seems like a better system. They also have the Delphi’s that are not weather proof for a bit cheaper. Good for under the dash.  

Single wire seal is not better, but is necessary depending on the size of terminals used.  For smaller terminals you can get many more circuits in a smaller connector if the connector has a mat seal.

I have an admitted bias against the Delphi terminals, but that is based on testing their connections and having failures even on samples prepared by Delphi themselves, but the Delphi (or JST or Molex) terminals are in a completely different class (a lower one) from the Deutsch terminals.  The Deutsch connectors are also definitely a much higher quality connector and are better for high vibration environments.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/11/17 11:14 a.m.

In reply to camaroz1985 :

I didn't mean that they were "better" im just more likely to remember to install them before crimping. I just know my work flow and I can see myself forgetting to run them all through the seal before stripping and crimping.

Cost definitely goes up with those connectors, but we use a much smaller crimp at work that is very similar and they are much easier to remove and repin.

Hum this guess I need to do some more research and maybe hit up YouTube for some tutorials.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
12/12/17 9:04 a.m.
Skervey said:

I didn't mean that they were "better" im just more likely to remember to install them before crimping. I just know my work flow and I can see myself forgetting to run them all through the seal before stripping and crimping.

Cost definitely goes up with those connectors, but we use a much smaller crimp at work that is very similar and they are much easier to remove and repin.

Hum this guess I need to do some more research and maybe hit up YouTube for some tutorials.

Most connectors with mat seals don't need to be crimped first.  The seal is designed such that it can accept the crimped lead without damage to the seal.  I would have to look at these specifically, but that is generally an industry requirement.

Skervey
Skervey HalfDork
12/12/17 3:42 p.m.

Good that makes me feel much better about them. I have seen one video that it looked like they used that same style crimps and they had passed all the wires through the seal then crimped.

Now what kind of wire wrap,sleeving do you guys like to use?

I love the way this stuff looks, only used it once and I think I got a cheap kind because it was a bit of a pain to mes with.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
12/12/17 9:55 p.m.
Skervey said:

Good that makes me feel much better about them. I have seen one video that it looked like they used that same style crimps and they had passed all the wires through the seal then crimped.

Now what kind of wire wrap,sleeving do you guys like to use?

I love the way this stuff looks, only used it once and I think I got a cheap kind because it was a bit of a pain to mes with.

Raychem DR-25 and ATUM glue shrink. It'll outlive the car you put it in. 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/12/17 10:39 p.m.

Yep, Deutsch connectors are designed to leave the seal in place, and push the crimped crimps through the seal, in to the connector.  Can't forget to install the seals.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3WjpVu4Ct1zGLHlSed4Q5qPwLUeelTBW6BMwWp4IgZJ4sfYVVs4mlDmJamG4Iq6C