GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/15 7:48 a.m.

Most Samurai owners believe that, although cosmetic and performance addons for a Samurai are expensive, it's always possible to do any mechanical fixes cheaply. I thought the same thing, until yesterday.

The Samurai's drag link and tie rod both have rod-ends built into them for some idiotic reason. Yes, this is on the same vehicle where you can replace just the rubber in all the powertrain mounts. If one of these rod-ends wears out, you have to replace a linkage. No 3rd-party manufacturers make these linkages, your options are used, aftermarket performance, or the stealership. New linkages will set you back most of the value of a typical used Sammy in the US

If you run across any used steering linkages in good condition, I suggest you get them as spares. If you're good at fabrication, I suggest finding substitute rod-ends and fabbing linkages to fit them (bonus: possibility of giving the drag link big adjustability for making a perfect DIY high-steer setup).

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/15 8:01 a.m.

Lowrangeoffroad.com. All the parts you need to use FJ ball joints on a Samurai. You will have to fab the center link and tie rod.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/15 8:39 a.m.

It's probably common knowledge, but worth mentioning in this thread that a new steering box will also run you a couple hundred even from a 3rd-party manufacturer, but those are pretty reliable and it's easy to find used ones with many years of life left in them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hXHoo4goTJYBVPlzWDDK9HfbhAQcA6yGsRVvvZKwuMd3ab66BNs3rk9HooalGkTC