1 2 3
Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
11/9/09 3:02 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: I bet there is tons of discussion on performance on the echo forums. NOT!

How about:

• Supercharged 1ZZ / 6 speed swap

• Group buy for LSD

• Discussion of brake pads for track use, with info from a guy who has done several track days at Mosport (where the original poster wants to OWNZ ALL!!@!@!!!111!)

• Discussion of modifying intake manifold, with CFM results from a test bench

• Standalone engine management

I was shocked, but apparently people really do modify these things.

Bob (sorry, the bullets don't line up right, and neither did numbers when I tried to number things - I suck at GRM forum posting)

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/9/09 3:06 p.m.

I recall someone on here with both a Porsche and a modded Echo. He was posting about embarrassing the Porsches at a PCA event in his Echo.

RossD
RossD HalfDork
11/9/09 3:13 p.m.

Use the Echo to go look for a donor for a locost. Build locost from donor for $6k (or less).

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/9/09 3:20 p.m.

I was thinking buy a cheap Miata, mod the hell out of it with what's left of the 6K, race the Miata, have a nice Echo for DD. But that's way too intelligent.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
11/9/09 3:24 p.m.

1UZFE Swap. Megasquirted. It'd fit right in with the upcoming BMW Grandpa Car -> Beemerus Track Toy article series.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/9/09 4:03 p.m.

Swap out the transmission with one out of a Prius, then add lots of old cell-phone batteries and a controller? Might not make it faster long-term, but would make for some interesting spurts of speed I would think.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker Dork
11/9/09 4:10 p.m.

I am pretty sure my own echo moves at the speed of sound.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/09 4:26 p.m.

An echo that does not move at the speed of sound is a Toyota.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
11/9/09 4:38 p.m.

To over come the lifting bubble issue, install wings on the trunk and hood. It helped a tc set the FWD lap record at some track

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
11/9/09 4:42 p.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: how do you turn a 2000 toyota echo sedan, into a really fast highway machine that not even a camaro SS can stop. it also has to handle like it's being moved from underneath by a magnet, and has to cost fairly little. i'd like parts that you can get in CANADA, please :)

Put it on a flat-bed train and signal the conductor to go

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
11/9/09 4:50 p.m.

Grantsfo was the screenname of the guy w/ the tricked Echo. Here's an archive post:

http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=898

and some googlin' got me this:

http://www.autoxforum.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t1137.html

I was intrigued by these things when i learned their curb weight is sub-2100lbs. All it needs is some massive box flares and huge swaybars

924guy
924guy Dork
11/9/09 7:46 p.m.

put it on the back of this thing...

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/9/09 7:58 p.m.
problemaddict said: Grantsfo was the screenname of the guy w/ the tricked Echo. Here's an archive post: http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=898

WHOA! Nostalgic Flashback.

as cool as the new forum is, I kinda miss the old one.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/09 8:15 p.m.

the echo definatly needs suspension work above all else. Not only does it need sticky tyres, stiff shocks and springs.. but it needs a wider track.

Once you make the thing safe to drive fast... I imagine that many performance toyota engines can shoehorned in.

personally, I got stuck behind the wheel of n Echo for a week.. and hated every moment of it

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
11/9/09 8:18 p.m.

Back to my CG issue...

On that post, someone wrote that the Echo is the same height as a Focus SVT. Well, I investigated that, and that's not quite accurate. The Focus is 56.3" high, with a track width of 58.8"; while the Echo is 59.4" high, width a track width of 56.9". So in stock form, the Echo is 3" taller and 2" narrower than a Focus, which is already a very tall car. In comparison, my Sentra is 55.5" tall with a track width of 58.1".

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
11/9/09 8:27 p.m.
Schmidlap wrote: Why do people come to a non-model specific forum and ask how to modify their specific model of car, especially when nobody on that has probably even driven that car, much less have any experience in modifying it? Stoptheeconobox - have you thought about maybe going to Google and typing in "toyota echo forum" and finding some people who just may have experience with your car and asking them? I know it sounds crazy, but I found several forums that actually have discussions about modifying Echos and could actually give you some advice on how to make your car go as fast as a stock V6 Camry. Bob

Geez Bob, simma down now, this forum is non specific so that anyone can come here and ask about any car, not so they are forced to go elsewhere. Moving on... I must say Im having flashbacks, I think any car can be modded and to each his own but I do remember getting into a heated argument with some guy on here who demanded that we respect him and his echo because of some work he had done on the car. Sorry, its a little hard to demand respect, you can ask for appreciation and probably will get it without asking, but demanding respect is another thing altogether. If this guy wants to mod his echo, lets give him our blessing and sit back and watch the hijinks ensue...

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/09 8:33 p.m.

shennanigans. yep, i'm callin it.

which one of you made up the username to start this thread... :evileye:

and just in case you're for real, It's still shennanigans to attempt to do that with an echo and I approve.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/9/09 8:40 p.m.

At an event a couple years ago a buddy's regular autocross car had an "issue" when leaving his house, so he brought his DD echo (with some suspension upgrades, but nothing drastic)

Since he got there late and didn't get a walk-through, he asked me to ride shotgun for the first run and draw the course for him. i will note that he is a pretty good/aggressive driver and he drove the echo in that manner as well.

scariest thing I've ever done in my entire life. I'm quite sure that around several turns the car was up on the outside front tire with no other tires touching the ground. I was half tempted to hike out the window (like in sailing) as a counterweight (and/or to escape when the rollover was sure to start) around righthanders....

if you have to do this....box flares, widen the track, and then widen it some more.....

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/9/09 8:43 p.m.

all that said, there are more unlikely vehicles you could use that have more power:

and he did not finish in the bottom-10 in either pax or actual time

Photobucket

nderwater
nderwater Reader
11/9/09 8:44 p.m.

R-compounds + coilovers + swaybars + lsd + clutch + forced induction = quick lap times for about $6,000. Of course, you could also use the same money to buy an E36 M3 or seriously modded Miata... or a set of 22" chrome spinnaz. To each their own I guess.

irish44j
irish44j Reader
11/9/09 8:46 p.m.

bet this has an even worse height-to-track width-ratio:

Photobucket

Photobucket

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
11/10/09 8:24 a.m.
stoptheeconobox wrote: how do you turn a 2000 toyota echo sedan, into a really fast highway machine that not even a camaro SS can stop. it also has to handle like it's being moved from underneath by a magnet, and has to cost fairly little. i'd like parts that you can get in CANADA, please :)

Pssh! that's easy. Go to your local import auto recyclers and pick up a driver's side floor mat from a late model Camry.

m

slefain
slefain Dork
11/10/09 8:36 a.m.

Easy, buy one of these for every straight on the track:

Exit turn, light rocket, repeat.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
11/10/09 9:36 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

At least he was on street tires. Would NOT want to see that on slicks. That just wouldn't be Smart.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
11/10/09 9:42 a.m.
maroon92 wrote:
problemaddict said: Grantsfo was the screenname of the guy w/ the tricked Echo. Here's an archive post: http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=898
WHOA! Nostalgic Flashback. as cool as the new forum is, I kinda miss the old one.

agreed

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VULbYzXB6BtVVbrbxBuEHbd687o9ZwyEdizp3hXxF30nqTzpsVahc9eYknsyn4ql