1 2 3
John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/09 9:42 a.m.

JATO JATO JATO JATO

HeavyDuty
HeavyDuty Reader
11/10/09 12:39 p.m.

Geez Bob, simma down now, this forum is non specific so that anyone can come here and ask about any car, not so they are forced to go elsewhere. Moving on... I must say Im having flashbacks, I think any car can be modded and to each his own but I do remember getting into a heated argument with some guy on here who demanded that we respect him and his echo because of some work he had done on the car. Sorry, its a little hard to demand respect, you can ask for appreciation and probably will get it without asking, but demanding respect is another thing altogether. If this guy wants to mod his echo, lets give him our blessing and sit back and watch the hijinks ensue...

I remember that thread well. The guy wanted grassroots to do a story on Echo's and I agreed. I'd love to see a build on one. I still do. See if it could be done for a grassroots price. See if it's possible for an Echo to take on a Civic. We probably all know the answer already, but maybe I would be surprised at what can be done with an Echo. There used to be/are videos around of an Echo keeping up with a Porsche in corners on track somewhere.

No useful information, but for the original poster I support you. This was the magazine that brought stories of Yugos and other unloved by the masses cars that could be turned in to something very awesome.

stoptheeconobox
stoptheeconobox New Reader
11/10/09 1:20 p.m.

i won't demand respect. i'll just make an open lapper a little jealous...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/10/09 1:43 p.m.

I tried with Hyundai's, I'm tryingwith Suzuki's... at least this time around it;s a better starting point. Shoot, I kinda want to make the Elantra a track car but not sure where it'd fit class wise wit hthe mods I'd want.

But going native and forging your own way, while cool, takes a lot of money and time and frustration and you'll end up with a $12k Echo that;s worth $4k.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
11/10/09 3:23 p.m.
HeavyDuty wrote: Geez Bob, simma down now, this forum is non specific so that anyone can come here and ask about any car, not so they are forced to go elsewhere. Moving on... I must say Im having flashbacks, I think any car can be modded and to each his own but I do remember getting into a heated argument with some guy on here who demanded that we respect him and his echo because of some work he had done on the car. Sorry, its a little hard to demand respect, you can ask for appreciation and probably will get it without asking, but demanding respect is another thing altogether. If this guy wants to mod his echo, lets give him our blessing and sit back and watch the hijinks ensue... I remember that thread well. The guy wanted grassroots to do a story on Echo's and I agreed. I'd love to see a build on one. I still do. See if it could be done for a grassroots price. See if it's possible for an Echo to take on a Civic. We probably all know the answer already, but maybe I would be surprised at what can be done with an Echo. There used to be/are videos around of an Echo keeping up with a Porsche in corners on track somewhere. No useful information, but for the original poster I support you. This was the magazine that brought stories of Yugos and other unloved by the masses cars that could be turned in to something very awesome.

Heck, I agree with you, you know its much easier to respect someone and their car when the car is a magazine. )!

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/09 7:02 p.m.

Commit insurance fraud and buy an E36. Seriously, it's an AUTO...

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
11/10/09 11:01 p.m.
plance1 wrote:
Schmidlap wrote: Why do people come to a non-model specific forum and ask how to modify their specific model of car, especially when nobody on that has probably even driven that car, much less have any experience in modifying it?
Geez Bob, simma down now, this forum is non specific so that anyone can come here and ask about any car, not so they are forced to go elsewhere...

But has he received any useful advice at all? Seriously. There have been 7425 posts of "take your $6000 and buy a miata/E36/hovercraft" or "swap in this random engine/transmission combo" but the only real tech has been Problemaddict's post pointing to Grantsfo telling us about coilovers and springs as well as an Injen Intake. If he had come here and said "I have an Echo, I'm looking to improve this specific problem with my car and want advice on how to do it" then I could see it, but I just don't understand the "Random people of GRM, tell me how to make my RandomCar the fastest, best handling, sweetest smelling RandomCar in the world" thing. Two seconds of searching would have shown him he was wasting his time looking for Echo advice here. That's the part I don't understand. When I have a problem, I don't go asking random people with no specific experience for the answer. I look for the answer myself and if I can't find it, I identify the best place to ask questions, and go there. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just don't get it. It's the whole "signal to noise ratio" that I'm hung up on I guess. And yes, I realize that I'm contributing to the noise.

Bob

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
11/11/09 6:54 a.m.

Well, if you're looking for usefull tech information, the XB and XA have the same motor and get moded more often that the Echo. If I were looking to make an Echo faster I would look for XB upgrade parts. I know that they sell turbo setups etc. for the XB but should bolt up to the Echo.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/09 7:42 a.m.

You are still stuck with an auto. You will use $1000.00 swapping in a manual.

I would love to see a well done radical engine swap in an Echo, but for some reason I see this project ending up being Quasi Mofo'd.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
11/11/09 7:49 a.m.

I missed the "auto" part. Phail.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hmXoaSyONXTYR7NaKCdOei0N1flQ0W0fI4FddD4mBBvOUC3URbF43tnSmYFn0Vq4