Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
9/1/10 9:00 a.m.

I googled to find motors on a whim because of the bike lovers/haters thread... and I constantly come across old bicycles out for the trash or for sale in front yards on the super elcheapo. Have any of you tried this? At $150 it seems reasonable for the amount of coolness an old Roadmaster with a smokey loud 2 stroke would bring me.

This: ZB BLACK SLANT 80CC MOPED BICYCLE MOTOR ENGINE KIT?

Plus this:

Equals awesomeness.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks HalfDork
9/1/10 9:11 a.m.

do it now

Luke
Luke SuperDork
9/1/10 9:13 a.m.

Didn't Tommy make something just like this recently?

His turned out pretty cool. But you'll have to sift through the Sprockets forum, or try your luck with the search bar to find it.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
9/1/10 9:20 a.m.

I had one back in the early-mid 80's, great little scooter. Used a wheel that started it when you engaged the lever. I could lean it out and almost keep up with some of my friends mopeds.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/1/10 9:22 a.m.

I have an old Sears Free Spirit / Tanaka front mount two stroke that my father bought new for me when I was a kid. I don't know how it compares to the new Chinese engines, but these are better for sustained cruising or as a helper engine for big hills. They have no clutch so idling around the pits are not their strong suit.

Photobucket

Photobucket

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Reader
9/1/10 9:23 a.m.

It does look like nearly 150 dollars worth of fun.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
9/1/10 9:26 a.m.

Been there and done that. It was a hoot. Yes that's duck tape.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
9/1/10 9:39 a.m.
Woody wrote: I have an old Sears Free Spirit / Tanaka front mount two stroke that my father bought new for me when I was a kid. I don't know how it compares to the new Chinese engines, but these are better for sustained cruising or as a helper engine for big hills. They have no clutch so idling around the pits are not their strong suit. Photobucket Photobucket

Ha!...That was the one that I had.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N8R22aCVfDd2P9am93uNqevrmddK583lVgJXMUnNAwYq3q8VVIIpJtG67MLJIrpY