1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/18 4:21 p.m.
feature_image

Mazda is going to drop details on the upcoming MX-5 early tomorrow morning. The embargo will be lifted at 5:00 a.m. Eastern tomorrow—2:00 a.m. Pacific. Check back here at that time for the full scoop.

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/18 4:25 p.m.

Oooooo, I wonder what it could be? wink I'm really looking forward to this car.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/19/18 4:28 p.m.

I'm calling it now: Body colored license plates!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/18 4:29 p.m.

Coupe

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/19/18 4:31 p.m.

They finally make a V8 of their own to cut out the middle-man? 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/18 4:34 p.m.

New palate of pastel colors for all the hairdressers. No other changes... devil

Keith Tanner
6/19/18 4:35 p.m.

Let's just say we have one on order already....

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/18 4:50 p.m.

HP bump is my guess.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork

I am anticipating this to be simply official confirmation of 'unofficially' expected stuff like a retuned suspension, 181hp, 7500rpm, accompanying improved engine internals, 'low-interia' dumass flywheel, and a telescoping steering column. A second bolder and more interesting (non-white/silver/gray/black spectrum) color option would be nice too. I don't really have high hopes for any unexpected 'big news' beyond that though, as that is a substantial amount of good news already...Although, I am always open to being proven wrong too.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork

Let's synchronize our watches!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/18 4:52 p.m.

I'm guessing 181hp, 7500RPM redline, lighter weight dual mass flywheel, new color and interior options, among many other small changes?

Keith Tanner
6/19/18 5:03 p.m.

New crank, new rods, new pistons, new cams, new valvesprings, new head casting, an oil cooler, a change in the transmission bellhousing, larger throttle body...you know, the little stuff.

Some of the changes being attributed to the 2019 are already in the 2018s but nobody noticed. For example, did you know that you can get an Eternal Blue 2018? Here's what it looks like with FM springs and bronze 6ULs. The rumored changes to the rear suspension are also a 2018 update.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/19/18 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

All MY2018's, or changing over on the fly?

Keith Tanner
6/19/18 5:08 p.m.

The suspension and steering? All 2018s as far as I know. They actually showed up on the 2017 RFs, the soft tops didn't get the update until 2018. It's amazing what you learn when you talk to the engineers instead of reading forums wink Mazda never really announced the changes, they didn't play up the dynamic changes that showed up with the RF but you can feel them pretty much immediately if you know the cars.

The engine did not change for 2018, though. That's all 2019.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/19/18 5:21 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

New crank, new rods, new pistons, new cams, new valvesprings, new head casting, an oil cooler, a change in the transmission bellhousing, larger throttle body...you know, the little stuff.

Some of the changes being attributed to the 2019 are already in the 2018s but nobody noticed. For example, did you know that you can get an Eternal Blue 2018? Here's what it looks like with FM springs and bronze 6ULs. The rumored changes to the rear suspension are also a 2018 update.

Heeeellllooooo nurse.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/18 5:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Man, that's such a good color. Crazy how the miata went from "fine, I guess" to "WOW" with the ND.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
6/19/18 5:38 p.m.

And yes, that image of Eternal Blue is much more blue (bold) and much less silver (bland) than it appears on the Mazda website...Making it far more interesting and exciting to look at.

Keith Tanner
6/19/18 5:41 p.m.

That's a press photo from the UK, I don't know how processed it is. But it's a CX5 color, so you may have seen it already.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/18 5:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The suspension and steering? All 2018s as far as I know. They actually showed up on the 2017 RFs, the soft tops didn't get the update until 2018. It's amazing what you learn when you talk to the engineers instead of reading forums wink Mazda never really announced the changes, they didn't play up the dynamic changes that showed up with the RF but you can feel them pretty much immediately if you know the cars.

The engine did not change for 2018, though. That's all 2019.

Well very few people work for the most successful supplier of aftermarket parts and tuning options for the Miata.

So there's that. wink

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/18 6:35 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I guess it's official. I am 100% getting a ND RF if this color is an option. Unless they have a purple coming. Especially a pastel purple or the one the new BMW's come in. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/18 6:37 p.m.

have they fixed the transmission yet?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/19/18 6:47 p.m.

That RF in blue is really sweet looking.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/18 7:03 p.m.
MrChaos said:

have they fixed the transmission yet?

It wasn’t really an issue, just an overblown forum lore.  Some of the road racers had issues.

They did make a change to the internals after feedback from the folks racing them.  I believe that was a running change last year and current owners can have theirs replaced under warranty if they have issues.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/18 7:22 p.m.

I still want to see a yellow one, but that blue is definitely much more blue than the photos I've seen before.  The other ones basically look like silver with a hint of blue in them.

Keith Tanner
6/19/18 7:32 p.m.
yupididit said:
Keith Tanner said:

I guess it's official. I am 100% getting a ND RF if this color is an option. Unless they have a purple coming. Especially a pastel purple or the one the new BMW's come in. 

That's a 2018. You can buy one now. Although I expect a price drop within 12 hours or so. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n2h2iJUaobh8oWBctoMrhBpoaZeyVOtZh6SxcTzCqD5AdZ0IShrq8mV7kXfyRwJe