1 2 3
pigeon
pigeon Reader
2/21/09 10:21 p.m.

I love that Celica, very sexy with the lowered stance and those super wide wheels (though I'm not a fan of the tooner blue lugs).

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
2/21/09 11:07 p.m.

What does the wide 5 look like on the car? The wheel caps must be huge, are they moonies from the 60s?

They actually remind me of the old VW wheels.

What's an inside out brake?

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
2/22/09 9:14 a.m.

^Look up a buell motorcycle and you'll see.

I'm assuming the adapter/spacers are some type of T shape to clear the calipers? What kind of offset range are the wheels available in?

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 New Reader
2/22/09 10:21 a.m.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told the PS/MS racks mount differently and require the cross-member to be swapped out as well.

I swapped mine to MS a few months ago, and the PS rack/x-member ass'm seemed to weigh 20+lbs more than the MS unit.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/22/09 11:05 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: I'm converting the front to a wide-5 setup (yes, like circle track cars) so that I can run affordable yet light weight 15 x 10's.

Don't forget the weight of the hub/adapter in your figurings... it may turn out to be a net weight gain.

But Wide-5 wheels are badass in a way that is beyond words, so I am watching intently.

subrew
subrew New Reader
2/22/09 9:28 p.m.

I've seen a couple setups like this before..one was on a Saab and one was on a 240Z that ran at "local" events about 10 years ago. The hub adapter for the Zed was about 3 pounds, and they were running the Real brand 15x10s which are between 8 at 10 pounds depending on the shell thickness. So, 11 pounds for a 15x10, not bad!

What's funny, is I have sketches for a wheel adapter for a future car I'm thinking about, to run wide 5s. That way I can have some 15x8s for the street, and 15x10s for the 275 hoosiers, using the same centers.

BTW, what do the Real brand adapters weigh? They don't list them on the site. I won't be using them, as I won't need the 1.5" offset to clear the caliper, and that really starts to dig into the backspacing requirements.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/22/09 9:47 p.m.
subrew wrote: I've seen a couple setups like this before..one was on a Saab and one was on a 240Z that ran at "local" events about 10 years ago. The hub adapter for the Zed was about 3 pounds, and they were running the Real brand 15x10s which are between 8 at 10 pounds depending on the shell thickness. So, 11 pounds for a 15x10, not bad! What's funny, is I have sketches for a wheel adapter for a future car I'm thinking about, to run wide 5s. That way I can have some 15x8s for the street, and 15x10s for the 275 hoosiers, using the same centers. BTW, what do the Real brand adapters weigh? They don't list them on the site. I won't be using them, as I won't need the 1.5" offset to clear the caliper, and that really starts to dig into the backspacing requirements.

I'll get weights when they arrive.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/7/09 8:23 p.m.

Wheels are here. I'm in love.

The 15 x 10 with the lugs, adapter, etc. came in at 15#. Not heavy, especialy considering the width, but not as light as I had hoped. That said, the big ass NASCAR spec studs and nuts are HUGE. Lots of weight in those.

I'm considering having some different centers machined to save a few pounds, but all in all I'm very pleased with the wheels.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/8/09 12:22 a.m.

that last picture is ridiculous, you've got some huge tires on that car

cwh
cwh Dork
3/8/09 9:36 a.m.

I completly understand the benefits of the big rubber, but is there any effect on rolling resistance from the big ones? Top end cars always seem to have very skinny tires. Yeah, I know, they don't do corners, but how much of a difference is there?

fifty
fifty New Reader
3/8/09 9:53 a.m.
cwh wrote: I completly understand the benefits of the big rubber, but is there any effect on rolling resistance from the big ones? Top end cars always seem to have very skinny tires. Yeah, I know, they don't do corners, but how much of a difference is there?

You can almost never have too much tire for auto-x (unless they are not getting up to temps), it's all about maintaining momentum in the corners. Also, with a FWD the same tires turning the vehicle are the ones driving it, so you need a lot of tire to maintain traction.

cwh
cwh Dork
3/8/09 11:18 a.m.

Fifty- You missed my point. I was not talking about cornering but straight line performance. Is there an increase in rolling resistance, and can it make a difference.

sachilles
sachilles Reader
3/8/09 11:27 a.m.

someone asked in the thread about generic fender flares that look halfway decent. and ebay search of "jdm fender flare" brings up all sorts of results. I found these for $75 ebay link

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/8/09 12:13 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: that last picture is ridiculous, you've got some huge tires on that car

"good ridiculous,". of course

It's gonna be trippy being able to just hammer down through the corners like that. It's just going to stick no matter what you do.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
3/8/09 12:20 p.m.

Dave,

Where did you source the center adapters from?

fifty
fifty New Reader
3/8/09 3:50 p.m.
cwh wrote: Fifty- You missed my point. I was not talking about cornering but straight line performance. Is there an increase in rolling resistance, and can it make a difference.

Yes! But in auto-x corner speed is almost always more important than straight line speed

cxhb
cxhb New Reader
3/8/09 4:08 p.m.

As far as having really wide tires on a fwd car i would get tires skinnier for the rear so it rotates better.... anyone else do this?

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 New Reader
3/8/09 9:45 p.m.

Yeah, for winter I have Fusion HRi tires, 195 rear, 205 front. Even that little difference makes it much more balanced compared to when I had 205's on the rear.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/8/09 11:58 p.m.
cxhb wrote: As far as having really wide tires on a fwd car i would get tires skinnier for the rear so it rotates better.... anyone else do this?

With the proper sway/shock/spring setup, the balance should be taken care of. The super stick tires would just magnify the speed that you'd be able to enjoy that balance (AFAIK).

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/09 2:33 a.m.
gamby wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: that last picture is ridiculous, you've got some huge tires on that car
"good ridiculous,". of course

but of course

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
3/9/09 3:32 a.m.
sachilles wrote: someone asked in the thread about generic fender flares that look halfway decent. and ebay search of "jdm fender flare" brings up all sorts of results. I found these for $75 ebay link

Yep. $75 with a completely reasonable shipping charge of $125.

I wish ebay would change their policy about these types of ads...

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/9/09 8:28 a.m.

Actually, items of that shape/size are a bitch to ship. That's why it's not worth buying a front lip online. The lip itself will go for $40, but it costs $100 to ship the damn thing.

Nature of the part. I think those shipping charges are close to legit.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/9/09 9:38 a.m.
PHeller wrote: Dave, Where did you source the center adapters from?

I'm a dealer for Real racing, and speced them out.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/9/09 9:39 a.m.
cxhb wrote: As far as having really wide tires on a fwd car i would get tires skinnier for the rear so it rotates better.... anyone else do this?

275's front, 225's rear. Very balanced with equal springs all around and no swaybars.

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/9/09 11:19 a.m.
problemaddict wrote:
sachilles wrote: someone asked in the thread about generic fender flares that look halfway decent. and ebay search of "jdm fender flare" brings up all sorts of results. I found these for $75 ebay link
Yep. $75 with a completely reasonable shipping charge of $125. I wish ebay would change their policy about these types of ads...

You can report the ad at the bottom of the page if you feel the shipping is excessive.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vh8pog3LSGZeExscSv7g7AMJkxAbnRaAwMLeK4nsc496uIsNcllOjeFrpxN5Ok3w