ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/18/18 6:14 p.m.

I bought a small pistol safe to mount under the back seat of the Grand Cherokee. It's the inexpensive clam shell type with the cable. It's pretty solid especially since I reinforced it with a little light welding. My plan was to use 1/4" grade 8 bolts from inside the case through the floorboard sheetmetal with large fender washers.  Unfortunately 2 of the 4 points I want to mount would come out inside a frame brace where I can't get to them. I thought about jus using large self tappers but that seems too easy to snatch out.

Any other fastener ideas?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/18 6:24 p.m.

Large self tapping screws thru the safe wall into the floorboard and into a frame brace? And you are worrried that someone would snatch the whole safe?

Are you assuming that they would hook a truck to it? 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/18/18 6:34 p.m.

Lol. Okay...maybe I worry too much?  

So you don't think your average meth junky could pry one up with a quickness?

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
7/18/18 6:37 p.m.

Nutsert or weld in a nut?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/18/18 7:04 p.m.

Hmm. Nutserts would be perfect. Maybe this is my excuse to buy that set I've been looking at..

I think I'd trust the self tappers over my ability to weld a nut to sheet metal...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/18 7:15 p.m.

Totally nutserts. They're made for this.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
7/18/18 9:06 p.m.

They do make snap off head screws, just for this.  Once driven in the tightening torque twist off the driver head leaving a domed top with no way to back them out.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/18/18 9:11 p.m.

How about security screws, like what are used to put together bathroom partitions, etc. ?

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
7/19/18 2:18 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

Use the 14" grade 8 bolts, and get a pair of Toggler anchors to go into the frame rails (need 1'2" hole, then it slides into place & stays there. 

https://www.amazon.com/12-TOGGLER-SNAPTOGGLE-included-Fastener/dp/B01IU6HG48/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531984510&sr=8-1&keywords=toggler+wall+anchor+1%2F4%22

I use these all the time for wall mounting displays, etc. The link says "holds 80 pounds" but it's much more. it gives you a really solid compression load against the other side of whatever you're anchoring to. In this case, a frame rail will be super solid. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G4Sq2izVnX0xqaqCLDGDXSZWIeVhmVmzcXtizbj9vMPDbmxOrZxaz4g8x0QfFIRH