Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
8/28/19 1:49 p.m.

We recently got to spend a week with a new BMW 330ix and can report that we liked a lot about it. We also didn’t like some things about the new car.

First, we need to admit that, as 3 Series owners who have owned nearly every iteration of these iconic cars, this one hits home for us: We have …

Read the rest of the story

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/29/19 9:48 a.m.

That's sort of an alarming price jump. The extra money for leather and basically any paint color almost makes it seem like the price jump is even worse and they're trying to mask it by hiding it in the "options" list.  That and the harsh ride gives the impression that BMW knows they are selling to people who just want to be in (be seen in) a BMW and are pretty undiscerning about value or what reasonable expecations for a 50k+ luxury car are. As you said about the M Sport package, it's vaguely insulting. But, for someone with no interest in the details it will either go unnoticed or just not bother them. 

A 255hp midsize doing 0-60 in 5.3 sure reminds me of that time i E36 M3 on the Lexus IS200t review because it barely cracks a 15 second 1/4 mile. There is a whole ocean of performance between these two 2.0Ts in the same market segment. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Reader Services
8/29/19 10:54 a.m.
Vigo said:

That and the harsh ride gives the impression that BMW knows they are selling to people who just want to be in (be seen in) a BMW and are pretty undiscerning about value or what reasonable expecations for a 50k+ luxury car are.

My thoughts exactly. That market segment is unfortunately larger than those of us who are looking for a serious sports sedan.

Aspen
Aspen HalfDork
8/29/19 11:50 a.m.

It's hard to justify why a stripper 3 series with plastic seats and boring paint is worth 10K more than say a Civic or Mazda 3 all loaded up.  What is so premium?  The dash material? 

Dootz
Dootz Reader
8/29/19 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Aspen :

RWD? Turbo-4 making more than 250 hp to the right wheels? 50/50 weight distribution? Amazing ZF 8-speed?

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
8/29/19 3:16 p.m.

All this does is make me hope that the rumors of an I6 RWD (or AWD) Mazda 6 are true. The BMW I knew and loved is dead.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/30/19 8:40 a.m.

I drove an E46 for 11 years and loved it.

When shopping for DW's car we test drove a 2017 330i and we both really liked it. Only two things kept us from buying one:

1. DW didn't like the all black interior with black headliner

2. Our budget meant that we would be buying a program car with 4k-5k on it to get the option package we wanted

But when I was shopping earlier this year, I didn't even consider BMWs.  Never even set foot in a dealer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
syflQuyWbGW6niTH9ov8YpZ5VcJeq9yvmwVAHKEQPfJBXLxsL4ily9yWlmBUKpRp