http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-bmw-art-car-unveiled/

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
4/6/10 5:09 p.m.

Art Cars ASSEMBLE!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/6/10 6:49 p.m.

at least it is hopefully prettier and more useful than the Hydrogen 7 art car that came out a year or two ago

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
4/6/10 8:00 p.m.

awesome art car (hotlinked and all)

and i can't wait to see it

motomoron
motomoron Reader
4/6/10 9:14 p.m.

Sandy Calder did my favorite one. If I ever crash my M3 track rat it's coming back in this paint scheme...

hotlinked for your pleasure..,.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
4/6/10 9:22 p.m.

In reply to motomoron:

The Calder car's my favorite, but I really like the Warhol M1 a lot. Good to see the return of the real (i.e., RACING) Art Car..I really don't care for the street cars they did.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/7/10 4:55 a.m.

Alexander Calder lived fairly close to me, though I didn't know who he was until after he had died and we studied him in art class. There were quite a few of his huge metal sculptures around when I was a kid. Big orange metal dinosaur shaped things. I still see some of his smaller works in the area.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
4/7/10 12:37 p.m.

"July 1st 1973" an important date in BMW racing history

for the lazy... hint: amendment by the FIA

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
4/8/10 1:28 a.m.
Woody wrote: Alexander Calder lived fairly close to me, though I didn't know who he was until after he had died and we studied him in art class. There were quite a few of his huge metal sculptures around when I was a kid. Big orange metal dinosaur shaped things. I still see some of his smaller works in the area.

The crazy thing for me was that I'd never heard of him before the Art Car. I didn't realize he was more into sculpture than he was into painting until I was an adult.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
4/8/10 1:30 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: "July 1st 1973" an important date in BMW racing history for the lazy... hint: amendment by the FIA

Don't call me lazy, just call me stupid. I can't figure out what you're teasing us with.

Spill.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy New Reader
4/8/10 2:15 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: "July 1st 1973" an important date in BMW racing history for the lazy... hint: amendment by the FIA
Don't call me lazy, just call me stupid. I can't figure out what you're teasing us with. Spill.

BMW had been getting its arse handed to them repeatedly by Ford and the Capri. July 1st 1973 was the last day in that season that allowed any changes for the rest of the year... THAT was the day BMW introduced the winged cars.... too late for Ford to copy them, and so the winged Beemers took the group2 championship that year

phaze1todd
phaze1todd New Reader
4/8/10 2:17 a.m.

CSL?

phaze1todd
phaze1todd New Reader
4/8/10 2:19 a.m.

Whoops. Too late. . . and wrong. Do I at least get a consolation prize?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
4/9/10 1:17 a.m.
phaze1todd wrote: Whoops. Too late. . . and wrong. Do I at least get a consolation prize?

No, I think you're right!

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OM54V7JDWfHzxL5x7vSvgYx1fqhxysHeB3sugYdwEZkY8eGlyLGbfUX5SqtfkrJW