1 2
Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
10/31/14 7:37 p.m.

I'm looking to replace my Accord. There's nothing wrong with it other than it's a four-door LX in Dismal Grey Metallic with the 2.3L ULEV and automatic and it has grey cloth interior.

I'm looking at a 1999 540 Wagon with 93K miles in a color that is perfect. Unfortunately it has a 4.4 that has the timing chain guide death rattle, though it goes away a few moments after start up. It also has an unresponsive rear SLS, possibly due to lack of use, possibly due to dead parts. I know nothing about BMWs with more than two wheels, not to mention the apparently notorious 4.4 problems. The price is $1950 and it's a 10 hour round trip to get it.

The other is a 1983 320i with a 1.8L manual with 191K miles in remarkable condition for the year. It needs an alternator. It's $1200

I really want a BMW wagon and I'm not too frightened with the prospect of changing the timing chain guides although I don't really have the time or ambition to do it. I also don't really want to do the road trip to get it. After failed talks with my wife regarding a wood paneled 1972 Ford Torino Wagon, the only wagon my wife will tolerate is a BMW, which is a close second to the Torino. I also like 2002s and a 320 is pretty close. This one has a manual, but only two doors and only 1.8 liters. I have three kids and while they're small now, in a few years, genetics will make each one roughly 7 feet 6 inches tall and 100-105 pounds. The wagon would be more useful.

I need guidance and possibly a cam holding tool for a 4.4 ... or maybe an alternator.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/14 8:09 p.m.

I'd go with the wagon. I'm considering one myself.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/14 8:23 p.m.

I could make you a hell of a deal on a 94 740iL (think Challenge money). Can't go wrong with a big black........V8 sedan :)

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
10/31/14 9:05 p.m.

I got my 320i because I wanted something "fun" that I could take the kids in. It was slow. But I couldn't part with it because it was so much fun to drive.

A couple of minor upgrades (suspension, ignition system, wp-driven fan delete, 2.0 air sensor plate, exhaust, pull out sound deadening from floor) and all of the sudden it was alive and fun!

Ten or more years on now, the kids now do their own thing, and I still have it.

Or, hold tight until the right wagon comes along.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/31/14 9:44 p.m.

I would say to wait until another wagon that's closer to you shows up.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/31/14 11:01 p.m.

How are the autotragics in these? It's hard to find a manual wagon.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
10/31/14 11:08 p.m.

I could be wrong, but if it's the timing chain, the sound would not be going away after a few minutes. That could be a vanos problem. Those are great cars, not many better modernish wagons out there if you have 3 kids. Fix the issues and you'll have a great car.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/14 7:45 a.m.

yes.. sounds like Vanos to me too.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
11/1/14 7:45 a.m.

I don't know a thing about the timing chain guide issue and I don't know what a vanos is. I'm just going by what Internet told me.

It's hard to find a BMW wagon period, let alone one that is local (Charleston, WV) and/or has a manual. The 320 is local, but I'm not sure I can stand to drive it in the salt and snow and I need reliability once the Accord goes.

I could live with a 740, but I'd rather have 4 more cylinders and no mufflers.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
11/1/14 10:09 a.m.

If you want reliability, you'll probably be disappointed in either of those choices.

Vanos is BMW's variable valve timing system, its operated with oil and the seals or solenoids are known to fail. Its a common problem well documented with fixes online. It would surprise me if the timing guides failed at 100k.

The 540 wagon is an amazing car, very fast, comfortable, roomy, but I wouldn't call it reliable at this point in its life.(unless you have records of its maintenance) There aren't really any killer problems with the E39, but at 100k you are looking at suspension bushings all around and cooling system stuff. But, fix that and you'll get another 50-75k of great use out of one of the best cars BMW has made.

The 320 is an ox cart in comparison. Its going to be loud, slow, and not really comfortable, but fun to drive if you have curvy roads where you live. It may have a leg up in reliability just because of simplicity, but the rudimentary fuel injection components on that car are now very old. Unless I planned to modify it a lot, the e21 320i would be the last BMW model I would buy out of the last 40 years of production. Especially if i had three kids to haul around.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
11/1/14 10:22 a.m.

In reply to bmwbav:

Agree completely. A 6 cylinder BMW wagon will be more reliable than a V8. And if you were very patient you could find a 528 with a manual.

The 540 OP is talking about is not worth the trip IMO. There will be more wagons that pop up. Check bimmerforums classified section and autotrader.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/1/14 10:28 a.m.

The E39 wagon came in a 530 that you should be able to locate less than 10hrs away if you can live with a straight six instead of a v8. They are very long lived motors if not as exciting as the 4.4. I have heard rumors of manual E39 wagons too but never seen one in the flesh.

A 320 can be fun too but it's an anvil. I'd pass it up for E30/E36/E46 cars at anything more expensive than free.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/1/14 11:46 a.m.

Patience - hold out for an e39 touring with 3 pedals. They're out there. Seen a couple decent ones starting to hit cheap money (4k range).

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
11/1/14 4:58 p.m.

Interesting choice. But if you want a daily driver kind of thing, I'd find a late e30. e21 is fun, but the stock engine is neither terribly strong nor terribly fuel-efficient in stock form. And junkyard parts are not easy to come by these days.

A late e30 (M42 318i or M42B25 325i) would be a far better choice for daily driving. Much more refined than an e21, and almost as much fun. With much better engines in terms of power and fuel economy (especially the M42 for the latter). Plus parts are readily available, there are usually several of them on CL at any given time, etc.

Just my 2 cents as someone who owns both an e21 320i and an e30.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
11/1/14 6:46 p.m.

There is one on stanceworks right now that is pretty good value at 5250, three pedals and all.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68280

Looks good IMO also.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/1/14 6:55 p.m.
turboswede wrote: I could make you a hell of a deal on a 94 740iL (think Challenge money). Can't go wrong with a big black........V8 sedan :)

Details?

nokincy
nokincy New Reader
11/1/14 7:17 p.m.

I wouldn't ditch my reliable Accord to pick up a $1000 BMW as a DD, but that's just me. However if I was going to do so, I would hold out for a local E39 wagon with the straight 6.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
11/1/14 7:59 p.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: There is one on stanceworks right now that is pretty good value at 5250, three pedals and all. http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68280 Looks good IMO also.

I wonder which Burlington the guy lives in.

turboswede
11/1/14 8:59 p.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:
turboswede wrote: I could make you a hell of a deal on a 94 740iL (think Challenge money). Can't go wrong with a big black........V8 sedan :)
Details?

I'll PM you, unless anyone else is interested and I can post details here.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
11/1/14 9:24 p.m.

Feel free to post them here, I'd honestly prefer if the opportunity was taken away from me by someone else.

turboswede
11/1/14 9:45 p.m.

210k, needs a front end rebuild, pads, quibo, tune up and a few things fixed in the interior (power seat and sunroof repair). I've already got the front end parts thanks to Rock Auto and I'll order the seat repair bits later once I dive in and see what all might need repair. Runs well and drives fairly well (except for the front end because it wanders badly). I still drive it daily because my 944 Turbo is perpetually broken. Please buy this and my 944 Turbo so I can join the ranks of those that partake in The Answer :)

Drove it from Modesto, CA to Portland, OR without issue aside from the steering taking a funny "set" from time to time (still better than my old Shelby CSX Turbo with the wallpwed out steering mounting holes. 1/2 turn of steering slop + 14psi = TORQUE STEER!).

I'm in Las Vegas this week, so I can get more pics once I get home next Sunday if anyone is interested.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/1/14 11:19 p.m.

E38 within 5hrs of you.

http://www.vadriven.com/forums/import-europe-67/2001-bmw-740il-sport-black-e38-487141/

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
11/2/14 5:26 a.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote: I wonder which Burlington the guy lives in.

Are there two Burlingtons in Vermont?

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
11/2/14 1:21 p.m.

I just got home form the store on one of those "Honey I need" trips. My 1982 320 reminds me of the old school cars that I am now hearing more people trying to find and add to their collection.

My current reference points include: 1975 2002 slowly being built to the new SCCA DP rules, 1982 320 that has been refreshed to complete in our local "Historic 2" SCCA H Stock with my oldest daughter, 1987 E30 NASA GTS2 running a M50 engine (just purchased and still sorting) and a 1994 325is M-Tech.

The 320 is my choice for just enjoying how and why these cars earned the tag line of "The ultimate driving machine". Having cut my teeth on the 1600/2002 cars and "fixing" them with a 5 speed, LSD, Recaros and electronic ignition I find the E21 the place to start when people ask where they should begin.

My only suggestions, stick to the stock softer springs and stay with narrow tires. Yes the car will lean in the corners, learning to pedal introduces you to the art of driving these cars. Enjoy!

We sold our 1999 Audi A6 Avant at 158000. We miss the capability of the car, not the constant drain on the wallet. Our Honda Element has taken its place and does its job extremely well. I can park it anywhere and not sweat the enviable door dings.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
11/3/14 6:09 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote:
Apis_Mellifera wrote: I wonder which Burlington the guy lives in.
Are there two Burlingtons in Vermont?

I don't know, but there's one in NC, CT, and NY to name a few.

I made an offer on the 320. It was low enough to make it worthwhile and the seller passed. I think I'll wait for a wagon with 6 cylinders.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uLd8T0tpNugvaTWdwiWIQNaoXw1co5RrVlRPXDXUDdQEG4JPF01IkayWhf46mNAO