PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
11/14/14 1:13 p.m.

I have to replace some injectors on my 2010 BMW 135i. When they are replaced I have to code them to the computer. What cable and software do you recommend thats inexpensive and easy to use?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/14/14 4:00 p.m.

Interested in the responses to this as well.

I'm fairly disappointed in the capabilities provided by Bavarian Technic for my 2007 Z4 and my wifes 2008 328xi, so I really couldn't recommend that product.

It seems like the cool kids are now using bootlegs of BMW Rheingold obtained through either torrents or ebay, but getting a something up and running sounds like quite a bit of a project.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
11/14/14 4:08 p.m.

Are you sure there is an aftermarket cable/controller that can do that?

I only know of Autologic and factory ISTA-P capable of programming and coding. Those are only about $10K each

You'll need an iCOMM with the fiber optic MOST adapter.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
11/15/14 1:24 p.m.

Lookup "BMW remote coding", you can have them change all sorts of cool things while they're in there resetting the injectors.

Did you try resetting it with a normal OBDII scanner yet? It's worth a shot, if there's a check engine light this may take care of it.

Another option would be to take it to a BMW independent shop and have them reset it.

You can get the necessary cables on the cheap but the necessary software is either cheap and sketchy or very expensive. There are (techno savy) BMW owners that have successfully done it with cheap software off eBay but it is not headache free.

Mmadness
Mmadness HalfDork
11/15/14 1:26 p.m.
Karacticus wrote: It seems like the cool kids are now using bootlegs of BMW Rheingold obtained through either torrents or ebay, but getting a something up and running sounds like quite a bit of a project.

Some people have done this successfully, others have berkelyed it up and bricked their ECU.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
11/17/14 9:56 a.m.

I’m looking into the euautohaus cable and software package. I’ve read about a few people having decent luck with it and one guy who didn’t then decided to post a negative review on every forum he could think of because it did work with his laptop. For $82 shipped I’m going to give it a shot.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/17/14 10:55 a.m.

I've tried to get a bootleg setup going on a VM, but I've had all kinds of issues and haven't got it working at all. I'd love to be able to change some of the myriad setting in those computers, like the lights flashing on unlock, etc. but I can't seem to figure it out.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
11/17/14 11:03 a.m.

I've read about some people having issues with the bootleg downloaded versions of the software too. The euautohaus package has cd's with the software on them and I saw a YouTube videos of injectors being coded with it so I'm hopeful it will work for me. I can’t think of any other changes I’d make so as long as I can install the new injectors i'll be happy.

What else is worth coding on the car?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
11/17/14 1:40 p.m.

can someone educate me as to why one needs to do this?

can't believe the days of just swapping out an injector are gone....

unevolved
unevolved Dork
11/17/14 1:42 p.m.

I can't remember the list, but I'm sure it's buried somewhere on E46Fanatics. Basically, any setting you can think of can be turned on/off with NCS Expert (I think.)

I'm not familiar with the EUAutohaus stuff, and the software name doesn't ring a bell. What's the deal with his package levels?

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
11/17/14 1:47 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: can someone educate me as to why one needs to do this? can't believe the days of just swapping out an injector are gone....

Direct Injectors are a whole new animal. The precision of the timing of the injection pulse is insane. So much that the flow rate and resistance of each batch of injectors is very important to keep that precision.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/14 1:48 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: can someone educate me as to why one needs to do this? can't believe the days of just swapping out an injector are gone....

I also want to hear this. Great way to make me avoid any such BMWs in the future.

Edit: OK, read Cone_Junkie's post above. I still think there has to be a better way to give the ECU a few numbers. If they put electronics on each injector to communicate with the ECU, I might even consider that a better solution.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
11/17/14 1:58 p.m.

From what I’ve read the piezo design of each injector has different power and flow rates and you have to update the computer with the calibration numbers that are on each injector. Not sure why the BMW computer or direct injection is that sensitive but whatever.

I don't know what the difference is of each software package for EUAutohaus. I’m guessing different year cars take different software and there are some packages that come with all of it. I just sent them an email with what I needed to do. The only other know cable I know of not to have issues is $100 and it does not come with any software.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
11/17/14 2:07 p.m.
Cone_Junkie wrote:
Direct Injectors are a whole new animal. The precision of the timing of the injection pulse is insane. So much that the flow rate and resistance of each batch of injectors is very important to keep that precision.

They are indeed quite different.

But not that different.

We talked about having to do this for our 2010 program, but eventually figured out that we didn't need to do this.

The funny thing- the whole reason that one might need a custom calibration based on an individual injector is that the injectors are NOT as good as PFI ones. Which was the problem back in 2010- the Bosch injectors were not as consistent as their own PFI injectors. But not so bad that we needed to custom input each injector.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
12/26/14 3:16 p.m.

Just wanted to give a follow up. The software that was included with the cable was in German but I was able to code my new injector by following the included instructions. Even if I only use this once it saved me $1200 from not going to the dealer and my car runs great again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JJyo6y7UcN0sWYcKIz1C55oOEAsiR1upA4KRv8GA7cs6cnXNmqhOvrMZV0cR3BHv