EricM
EricM HalfDork
8/18/09 3:04 p.m.

Photobucket

Whenever I see globby welds, I gotta ask "Is that normal" Take a look the part circled in red and is that normal?

I am thinking of buying this car and if that is a suspicous repair then I may just pass.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
8/18/09 3:08 p.m.

i had them on mine, so im assuming... yes?

walterj
walterj Dork
8/18/09 3:12 p.m.

It is a rubber "paint" BMW slathers over all sheet to sheet welds at a seam. I cant tell if that was re-done by someone but its not out of the ordinary.

BTW that stuff smells awful when it burns - clean thoroughly before welding near it.

chapel
chapel New Reader
8/18/09 3:13 p.m.

what year is it? my 88 was smooth IIRC... this looks like an 89+ 325i. It's got the T-shaped ISV

chapel
chapel New Reader
8/18/09 3:16 p.m.

I think the early M20 powered cars had the overflow tank on that side and it was more pill shaped

EricM
EricM HalfDork
8/18/09 3:29 p.m.

Thanks everyone.

It is an '89 325i with a 5 speed.

The resolution of the picture isin't the greatest so it looks rougher than it really is, and looks just lie the pics supplied by chapel.

I will test drive it tonight. (or tomarrow)

chapel
chapel New Reader
8/18/09 3:38 p.m.

Yeah, the early M20s kept a (very susceptible to explosions) overflow tank on that side. They upgraded it to the driver's side one in 87 (I think)

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/18/09 10:50 p.m.

The coolant reroute was for '88 models. Chapel - it's good to see that you've still got the E30 in the stable - you announced you got it on c:d a long time ago man!

-- ian

chapel
chapel New Reader
8/19/09 10:53 a.m.

I sold my E30 years ago. I had it from about 2002 to 2004. I helped Bentley update their manuals as well. Right now I just have the S6.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/19/09 10:55 a.m.

looks like normal seam sealer to me.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
8/21/09 8:23 a.m.

Seller out of town until Tuesday Grrrrrrrr....

I actually even have permission and funding from my wife ( I won't pretend I make the financial decisions in my house :-) )

Oh, and acording to the seller, the timing belt and water pump was done two years ago. I will inspect it to be sure though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2SgipaPRFG0SmLBKhbQYqJFPmc6zPkaLSq3uf6LemhY89QI6YZUq8APv0WBJZJEq