microsa1
microsa1 None
10/10/08 10:05 a.m.

I have an 84 BMW E30 318 which uses the older M10 engine. This one is equipped with Bosch L-Jet FI and I would like to convert it to MegaSquirt. I've found a few articles that detail installing one on an M10 as fitted to 2002s and 320s but not one installing one on an E30 w/L-Jet. I understand the basics of the conversion, but would like to retain as much of the stock engine harness as I can to let them control the fuel pumps and such. The plan is to start with the M/S controlling the fuel only, leaving the stock stand alone ignition in place. Future plans may include a turbo and a Ford EDIS. If it would be easier in the long run to build a new engine harness I am not against that, but would like to retain the stock one in case I sell the car with out the M/S.

I have a few friends in my area that are currently running M/S on their cars (Hi Jonny Pruitt and congrats on your participation in this years Challenge and a shout out the Matthew and the Red Mist) so I have lots of info on how to tune/set one up. The current plan is to use a M/S1 with the latest boards and firmware.

So I am looking for anyone out there who has done a L-Jet to M/S conversion to a E30 M10 car. And as an aside, I am an old carb. guy so this new fangly-fuel-injection is new stuff to me.

Don't ask too much for a first time post, huh?

TIA

Mike

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/10/08 10:17 a.m.

I've MS'ed 3 vehicles now: 4AGE 20 valve, 22R, Harley 883. I think that you will be better off just letting the MS do it all instead of trying to let it do half and your original ECU do the other half. Control of the fuel pump is a no brainer with the MS. Spark is easy too if you have a distributor. More complicated if you go waste spark or coil on plug. Get the DIYAutoTune harness, and get a V3.0 MS1 kit from them too, with a stimulator and get after it.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/10/08 10:21 a.m.

Why would you want to MS a m10? What a piece of crud engine...

microsa1
microsa1 New Reader
10/10/08 11:50 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Why would you want to MS a m10? What a piece of crud engine...

At least it has a functioning clutch and the brakes work......

The Red Mist on the other hand.......

I'm just sayin'

m4ff3w
10/10/08 11:55 a.m.

I think it will be awsome if you ever that thing MS'd and Turbo'd.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
10/10/08 12:50 p.m.

This is not a particularly difficult application - in fact, you can usually lop a connector off a factory ECU and make an adapter harness when you're dealing with an L-Jetronic. Just get a pinout of the M10 wiring harness, put it side by side with the MS pinout, and have at it.

microsa1
microsa1 New Reader
11/1/08 10:25 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: This is not a particularly difficult application - in fact, you can usually lop a connector off a factory ECU and make an adapter harness when you're dealing with an L-Jetronic. Just get a pinout of the M10 wiring harness, put it side by side with the MS pinout, and have at it.

That's what I am loooking for; the pin-out L-Jet M10 ecu connector, anyone??

carzan
carzan New Reader
11/2/08 10:57 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: What a piece of crud engine...

You're joking, right?

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
11/2/08 2:27 p.m.

I love the little m10's, I think the sound they make is beautiful to the point that I just removed the radio and then gutted the interior of my 320is. I often thought about MSing it but never did, good luck.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/2/08 3:57 p.m.

m10 piece of crud? First time I've heard that. BMW sure did some impressive things with that little "piece of crud"

m4ff3w
11/2/08 6:08 p.m.
carzan wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: What a piece of crud engine...
You're joking, right?

That was jest. Mike is a good friend of mine.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/3/08 2:03 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I love the little m10's, I think the sound they make is beautiful to the point that I just removed the radio and then gutted the interior of my 320is. I often thought about MSing it but never did, good luck.

I thought mine sounded great as well. timing a little advanced, no-cat, glasspack at the tip. I got awful mileage the way I beat that thing.

nicksta43
nicksta43 New Reader
11/3/08 7:53 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote:
I thought mine sounded great as well. timing a little advanced, no-cat, glasspack at the tip. I got awful mileage the way I beat that thing.

Yeah, timing makes a huge difference on these. There was a sweet spot I found in mine and if I went to far it would run a little warm if I went to little it would have no power but in that sweet spot it was magic.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
11/3/08 7:56 p.m.

Mine wouldn't run warm advanced too far, but it would kick-back when I tried to start it.

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
11/3/08 8:11 p.m.

If you're an old carb guy, then grab an old carb distributor and do a fuel only setup at first.

If you get a pre built wiring harness (you still need to terminate the engine end, though) then most of the hard work is done for you. Personally I'd take the factory wiring harness and pitch it, since a lot of it is superfluous and it's 24 year old wiring. 24 year old European wiring.

carzan
carzan New Reader
11/4/08 6:16 a.m.

Not really helping much with your information needs, but this is what I want to do to mine:

http://store.666fabrication.com/m10-4-into-1-tubular-turbo-mani.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H5sVBmMirKM71D4NVKNgMwbr4womFi3Yfm5M9NVzyGNWDYRk2dYnYt6IlyNJdKZ6