1 2
mike
mike Reader
9/26/11 8:05 a.m.
aircooled wrote: There was an M5 at an AutoX I was at last weekend. They do have a rather bizarre sounding exhaust at full throttle, sort of a Banshee kind of scream. I wasn't a huge fan of it, some might be, but it was certainly unique. Didn't sound anything like a "traditional' V8.

I was there, too (Camarillo, right?) and I turned around several times as the M5 pulled away. I kept thinking that a V10 should sound better than that - it was kinda raspy, and it reminded me of plugged CATs.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
9/26/11 8:55 a.m.

Sounds kind of like BMW is trying to give us some sort of lifestyle experience with crap like this. I do not approve.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/26/11 9:06 a.m.
mike wrote:
aircooled wrote: There was an M5 at an AutoX I was at last weekend. They do have a rather bizarre sounding exhaust at full throttle, sort of a Banshee kind of scream. I wasn't a huge fan of it, some might be, but it was certainly unique. Didn't sound anything like a "traditional' V8.
I was there, too (Camarillo, right?) and I turned around several times as the M5 pulled away. I kept thinking that a V10 should sound better than that - it was kinda raspy, and it reminded me of plugged CATs.

About 3 years ago, i was at Edgewater, and saw an M6 and a new GTR, both with paper plates, running down the drag strip against each other.

WEIRDEST sounding drag race ever.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render New Reader
9/26/11 10:03 a.m.

Well if they're going to play engine noises through the speakers, they should have controls that let you change what engine you're hearing. I'd like to see TIE Fighter and X-Wing as options.

fritzsch wrote: I think the new mustang has something like that. I was talking to one of the company reps and he was saying they had some sort of sound enhancers or something, I dont really know. But the think the idea was the same as this BMW thing. I was wholly unimpressed and thus didnt pay too much attention

No, there is a "sound induction tube" that goes from the airbox into my cabin. My Mustang does not play engine noises through the speakers.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress Reader
9/26/11 10:57 a.m.
irish44j wrote: if only they had this feature on the E46 M3. Except with the speakers on the outside. So everyone at every autocross doesn't have to hear its disgusting stock exhaust sound (is a big rattle really a sound?). Pipe some good exhaust sound from a rear-bumper speaker. Win.

If we're going to this effort, I'd like it to play some Wagner, maybe Ride of the Valkyries. Or maybe Puccini's Nessun Dorma. That'd be badass. Kinda like at that BMW Film where he's taking the little Tibetan monk to a safehouse.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/26/11 12:14 p.m.

The E36 M3ty cooling systems and bushings weren't enough?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
9/26/11 12:43 p.m.

longtime BMW fanboi here, hanging head and slowly shaking it in shame...

pigeon
pigeon Dork
9/26/11 12:44 p.m.
irish44j wrote: if only they had this feature on the E46 M3. Except with the speakers on the outside. So everyone at every autocross doesn't have to hear its disgusting stock exhaust sound (is a big rattle really a sound?). Pipe some good exhaust sound from a rear-bumper speaker. Win.

That's a rasp, not a rattle! There's plenty of nice, loud, lightweight aftermarket exhausts that would fix this problem, although personally I don't mind the stock exhaust note on mine.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
9/26/11 1:15 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: The noise thing is ridiculously stupid, but that motor sure looks dead sexy in that engine bay!

Plastic covers, plastic ducting, and some tubing and wires is dead sexy?

My first thought was "looks complicated."

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/26/11 1:24 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
sethmeister4 wrote: The noise thing is ridiculously stupid, but that motor sure looks dead sexy in that engine bay!
Plastic covers, plastic ducting, and some tubing and wires is dead sexy? My first thought was "looks complicated."

I was thinking what engine?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
9/26/11 2:12 p.m.

560 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque and you're whining about them playing sound through the speakers.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 2:26 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: 560 horsepower and 500 pound-feet of torque and you're whining about them playing sound through the speakers.

You bet your biscuit I am. It's not even the actual sound of your engine, it's pre-recorded from a dyno room. You might as well just play a video game.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 2:26 p.m.

I like the sound of the V-10 in the last generation M5/M6. With an aftermarket exhaust, I think it sounds like a Formula car.

(skip to 0:44 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtJVbJEHZg

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
9/26/11 2:30 p.m.

TWIN TURBO, that's the important part.

Many people put on louder mufflers so they can hear the car better or because they think it sounds meaner, or . . .

What's the difference. If you don't like it turn it off. Now that's a good alternative.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 4:06 p.m.

I am not sure about the TT V8. I DO know BMW was doing electronic engine noises on their diesels... so you did not get that diesel clatter inside the car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
9/26/11 4:11 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Put your window down. Problem solved.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
9/26/11 4:20 p.m.

Problem is not solved if the exhaust note is quiet

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/26/11 4:27 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Problem is not solved if the exhaust note is quiet

Add fart cans.

nderwater
nderwater Dork
9/26/11 4:34 p.m.

Ch-ch-ch-Cherry Bomb

familytruckster
familytruckster New Reader
9/26/11 4:36 p.m.

3" turbo back exhaust should fix the problem. No mufflers, no cats.

Or what I saw on a dodge truck.... a 4" pipe through the hood....Still was rather quiet though.....

F' it just take the turbos off.

Though, it's just not an issue for me. I'll NEVER BE ABLE TO AFFORD ONE ANYWAY. The only reason I have a BMW currently was the price ....Free.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 4:39 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: In reply to Javelin: Put your window down. Problem solved.

For me, yes; for BMW, no.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
9/26/11 5:28 p.m.
pigeon wrote:
That's a rasp, not a rattle! There's plenty of nice, loud, lightweight aftermarket exhausts that would fix this problem, although personally I don't mind the stock exhaust note on mine.

It's kind of funny....I autocross with BMW club, so I'm frequently working the course with various BMW drivers (and non-BMW drivers). Whenever a stock E46 M3 runs, someone in the group always says "ew" or "Jesus, get an exhaust on that thing."

Right along with the wheel clicking on the 1-series when turning hard (anyone know what that is from, incidentally?)

That said, there's plenty of nice, loud, lightweight aftermarket exhausts that will be able to make the new M5 sound mean to the driver without electronic help as well.

My point was that with the e46 it should have been taken care of from the factory. It's like they said "well, the car is pretty great but that exhaust is nasty sounding. Oh well, nothing we can do about it. Let's move on to something else."

pigeon wrote: personally I don't mind the stock exhaust note on mine.

that's because you're in the car, not listening to it at WOT from the outside

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/11 7:46 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Right along with the wheel clicking on the 1-series when turning hard (anyone know what that is from, incidentally?)

well.. it's not front wheel drive.. so not a clue

irish44j
irish44j Dork
9/26/11 7:56 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
irish44j wrote: Right along with the wheel clicking on the 1-series when turning hard (anyone know what that is from, incidentally?)
well.. it's not front wheel drive.. so not a clue

it's really wierd, an ALL 1-series I've seen at autocrosses, whenever they turn hard from the front wheel there is a clicking sound.....it reminds me of putting a playing card in the spokes of my bike when I was a kid. And nobody has been able to tell me why it makes this noise.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LvCsv0XVVLcbwcKFqEhvlifWSaJpMKRFy50zWCFGxxIOeRPtv9N3c151hx1iKJPx