Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/20 9:14 p.m.

So I've tweaked this stupid thing all I can.  Nothing works.  Anyone have any idea on what is needed to straighten it?  The horns weren't hurt when I got in an accident last fall, but the mounting points were a little bit wonky.  I straightened them out with a torch and they ended up nice and square.

Put a jack under the offending side? Go slow if you do.

I recently straightened my truck's bumper by sawzalling the mount and re-welding it where I liked lt. My truck is a POS, so this may not be applicable.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/22/20 6:14 a.m.

Brackets and bumper are bent. Those bumpers are flimsy junk even from the factory. Replace them both and you'll be able to get it straight.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/22/20 6:26 a.m.

Brackets, at a minimum. Any time a truck bumper gets tagged we usually end up replacing all the brackets on the offending side at a minimum. The time spent dicking around with them isn't worth the labor vs just replacing them.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/22/20 6:56 a.m.

Those are pretty simple, but as others have mentioned, your brackets are bent. 
They are still available to order new from Ford though! Although the bumper is not. 

Mr_Asa
7/22/20 7:38 a.m.

Brackets are brand new.  Bumper is brand new.  The mounts on the horns are what I straightened out, but they came out pretty good.  Maybe I need to revisit them to verify that?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/22/20 7:38 a.m.

My rule of making stuff line up that wont. Be it door, trunk or hood... or bumper.

With all attach points disconnected, offer the part into place. The best you are going to get is how it fits with nothing attached. If there is no way to locate the part, then the part gets modified. If the part can be made to fit properly, then work on the attach points. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/22/20 7:47 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Brackets are brand new.  Bumper is brand new.  The mounts on the horns are what I straightened out, but they came out pretty good.  Maybe I need to revisit them to verify that?

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's straight.

Mr_Asa
7/22/20 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Fair point.  I did go with a cheaper bumper as I was doing this on a budget

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/22/20 8:48 a.m.

The bumper and brackets may be new, but is the frame straight where the brackets fasten to?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/22/20 9:29 a.m.

If the two ends of the bumper are not parallel, then the damn thing ain't gonna fit until you twist it.

You can either twist the bumper by applying force to the bumper and de-reforming it, or you can modify the attach bracket to apply the force for you so that the bumper is deformed into the desired shape when the bolts are tightened. Two wrongs CAN make a right in this case.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sNaAUxvqK9vo5ClUIQNxe81ahAduZf8ENCDCDRLZWyTuZK5t9bwy80pKkjQ08zi0