Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
6/4/15 3:52 p.m.

The early 1980s were a trying time for auto enthusiasts in the U.S. Thanks to the oil crisis and government regulations, muscle cars were fat and slow, sports cars were festooned with giant bumpers and choking emissions equipment, and sporty sedans like the BMW 2002tii were simply not made anymore. The U.S. needed a miracle to keep the notion of the fun car alive.

Thankfully, Volkswagen was there to perform one. Nearly a decade after introducing the first front-wheel-drive econobox that Americans could actually be coerced into buying–the Rabbit–VW brought over the version that Americans actually wanted to buy, the 1983 Rabbit GTI.

Packing more power, improved handling and more attractive styling into the same practical shell proved to be a winning formula for Volkswagen, and the GTI sold exceedingly well. As one of our first real “hot hatches,” the GTI simultaneously created a market and dominated it.

Read the rest of the story

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
6/4/15 4:46 p.m.

Hey, I remember this story. What a fun car!

captdownshift
captdownshift SuperDork
6/4/15 4:49 p.m.

I thought it didn't see boost until 1999

noddaz
noddaz Dork
6/7/15 6:31 p.m.

Very nice! Sounds like lots of fun too...

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
6/9/15 7:31 a.m.

What a neat little ride. Thanks for the story.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/9/15 8:09 a.m.

Great Car. I had one Black on black with red badging. Even in to the mid to late 90's it was still keeping up with many of the "modern" cars.

DAVEG
DAVEG New Reader
7/9/15 4:58 p.m.

My current 1984 GTI more than keeps up with 150HP and gets 40MPG...that should be the story. An all around car that can haul stuff and move you out smartly weighing only 1900lbs.

Our Preferred Partners
KEp5xI6l2CXzYFVMp1heknrDBTawJ7aJ6j8h9dd2Y3KGe5fRHNYtHNMLREmbishi