1 2
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/14/08 3:37 p.m.

sold the turbo grand prix, in process of deleting the caprice wagon, bought a 99 P71 today.

i was not expecting it to be as quick as it is, certainly surprised me.

it's not much to look at right now, it is black/white, needs one door repaired and the whole thing needs painted because they took the decals off with razor blades, and it is freaking filthy.

however, it is a clean body. no problems from the drivetrain that i could tell on the test ride, exhaust looks good, limited slip works, and it only has 64k miles. fun things are it still has the ticket light, the ticket pad(taking out so i can put in a radio), console, laptop mount, rear cage and window bars, and shotgun mount. it was a sergeant's car and apparently he liked push pins instead of post-it notes because there are pinholes all over the dash in front of the driver.

picking it up tomorrow, pics will follow.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/08 3:45 p.m.

Congrats.

Jealous Johnny says bite me.

I want one.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
8/14/08 3:57 p.m.

The good news: The power is going to the proper wheels. The bad news: Blue ovals and lack of boost.

Bryce

Dan G
Dan G Dork
8/14/08 5:34 p.m.

Good buddy at work just bought one of these yesterday for $2300. The thing is ridiculously awesome to hoon around in...

We're looking into a set of 4 "Sabotage" glasses/mustache kits to be worn in the car at all times.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/14/08 5:52 p.m.

dont forget to pick-up some donuts when you get your P71!!

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/14/08 6:53 p.m.
Dan G wrote: We're looking into a set of 4 "Sabotage" glasses/mustache kits to be worn in the car at all times.

Awesome. I have a set of similar sunglasses, and all I can think when I put them on is "SAAABOTAGE!!"

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
8/14/08 6:56 p.m.
Nashco wrote: The good news: The power is going to the proper wheels. The bad news: Blue ovals and lack of boost. Bryce

It's a Mustang GT motor, so at last count there were, what, 14 bazillion kits to get boosty with one of those? Yeah... me is jealous, too.

patgizz
8/14/08 7:19 p.m.

craptacular pics off the online ad since it hasnt been deleted yet

i've already ordered the 03+ grille, marauder spoiler, and adapters to put my 17" bullitt wheels on

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/08 7:38 p.m.

Welcome to the club!

The P71 is the ultimate cheap hoon-mobile, that's a fact!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/08 7:55 p.m.

Sigh I want one. Too bad I already have two cars and live in an apartment complex and am still in college. Maybe one day when I have more money and space...

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/08 8:44 p.m.

What year did the P71 designation for the Police Interceptor package begin?

hotrodfatboy
hotrodfatboy New Reader
8/14/08 9:01 p.m.

for those of us that are hoon-wannabes...what are the good years to look for and the bad years to stay away from?

what am I to look for in a used cop car, aren't they all beat up when they are sold?

hotrod (cop cars rule!)

P.S. is it really sick to want to be pulled over by a copper in a new Dodge Charger Police Car so I can talk to him about his car?

P71
8/14/08 9:04 p.m.

P71's started in like 92ish IIRC?

The good years are 01-02 (239HP "Performance Improved" engine vs. 175HP DOG) or 03+ (identical brakes/wheel backspacing to 05+ Mustangs).

Find the cleanest unit you can and get all of the paperwork. As a general rule of thumb highway patrol cars are in better shape then city cars.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
8/15/08 1:05 a.m.

I WANT ONE FOR THE CHALLENGE!

patgizz
8/15/08 8:23 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: I WANT ONE FOR THE CHALLENGE!

it's right up by you in mentor. he has an all white one next to it that he said he's going to list soon for 1600-1700, and he has a black/white 98 up on craigslist right now for 1900 with brand new tires and 70k miles. that one had some bubbles on one dogleg though, the one i bought is clean.

http://www.emergencyremarketing.com/

pigeon
pigeon New Reader
8/15/08 11:15 a.m.
hotrodfatboy wrote: for those of us that are hoon-wannabes...what are the good years to look for and the bad years to stay away from? what am I to look for in a used cop car, aren't they all beat up when they are sold? hotrod (cop cars rule!) P.S. is it really sick to want to be pulled over by a copper in a new Dodge Charger Police Car so I can talk to him about his car?

A neighbor is a NYS Trooper Sgt. He drove a Charger cop car for a couple weeks. I didn't get a ride in it but I asked him about it. He said it drove well but was too tight in the interior with the center console and other "stuff" added and all the crap they have to carry/wear. The trunk was packed with equipment too - I wouldn't want to have to pull the spare out, or have to get anything larger than a pack of gum into it. He likes his cop Tahoe much better.

Scott

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/15/08 11:34 a.m.

The insanity on this board must be spreading. I really want a P71 now too. I would attempt to drift it while eating a donut... while wearing a helmet and aviator shades.

Any word on whether decom'ed cop cars are more or less likely to have people vandalize them?

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
8/15/08 2:15 p.m.

When I was getting ready to paint the 510 race car I was trying to come up with a different paint scheme. I was thinking that a black and white police car scheme would look good on the trailer behind the ambulance but when I sprayed it with black and white primer it just didn't look that good on such a small car. I was even looking into getting a light bar I could magnets on for use in the paddock.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
8/15/08 5:07 p.m.

I've owned around 15 CV, GM and TC vehicles I love em, very reliable and fun to drive especially with LSD

patgizz
8/15/08 11:24 p.m.

carkid he said since i referred you he'd sell you the 98 with 74k miles for 1500. it needs a little more work than mine but it looks like a good straight car with low miles. everyone knows for the engine miles mean crap on a cop car because they sit and idle, but i guess it's better than a 130k mile one.

Luke
Luke Dork
8/15/08 11:30 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I've owned around 15 CV, GM and TC vehicles I love em, very reliable and fun to drive especially with LSD

How would you say they compare with our own 'town cars', the Holden Commodore/Ford Falon?

Are Aussie motoring journalists justified in bagging out American car handling and build quality?

patgizz
8/17/08 1:52 p.m.

pics!!!

detailed interior except floor. used engine brite on that, and i think i killed #6's coil pack with water since it misses now and sets cyl 6 misfire since i washed it. which one is #6? i know on GM the passenger side is evens but not sure of fords and don't have the book yet. going to do all plugs and that coil, all fluids and filters.

P71
8/17/08 5:03 p.m.

I'll take that cage off of your hands...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
8/17/08 11:41 p.m.
patgizz wrote: carkid he said since i referred you he'd sell you the 98 with 74k miles for 1500. it needs a little more work than mine but it looks like a good straight car with low miles. everyone knows for the engine miles mean crap on a cop car because they sit and idle, but i guess it's better than a 130k mile one.

Whats the stroy on the 1998 one? is it straight? clean?

patgizz
8/18/08 8:29 a.m.

its straight. it had a few rust bubbles on one of the quarter panel doglegs behind the back door. i didnt look it over all that much, it needs just as heavy a scrubbing as mine did. it's missing a headlight but he'll pull one off another car for you, and it has brand new tires on it. it'll need paint as well or at least some touchups. the PD scraped off the decals with what looks like a plain old steel razor blade so they took a bit of paint with them. mine was the same way. it has the cage in it as well but i dont think it has the console or laptop mount or any of that. call brett (216) 965-6999 he's got a bunch of them at a storage lot off tyler and 306 in mentor and tell him pat that bought the 99 last week told you. he said he'd take 1500 for it and he's got it listed for 1800 or 1900.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Oi2iaktAYvLzaThXFAV7ntCBiF9lQBK0yVa0SZyr0nypzCRdcVyBuIpCU35tNAT