Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
3/1/17 12:43 p.m.

The 24 Hours of LeMons is infamous for its weird, ill-advised race cars. Volkswagen TDI-powered Porsche 911? Check. Slant-six powered E30 BMW? Yep. Ford Explorer themed like a Jurassic Park attraction? Naturally.

One of the weirdest yet is this 1959 Studebaker Silver Hawk, and NSF Racing drove it to an overall win. Yes, a Studebaker claimed first place over the …

Read the rest of the story

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
3/2/17 8:28 a.m.

One of the things that has always attracted me to racing was the preparation of the cars. They were meticulously crafted and looked after, almost works of art. Precision and fastidious care were evident everywhere and details were not overlooked. When I look at crapcan racing cars, I just can't give a, well, a crap. They are just way too ugly and unappealing to be even remotely interesting. But that's just me, to each his own I guess, but even a dirt track stock car makes these things look terrible by contrast.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
3/2/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to HapDL:

sure, but you have the opportunity to DRIVE a crapcan racer and actually be on track instead of just paying for tickets to watch and WISH you were on track.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/2/17 8:41 a.m.
HapDL wrote: One of the things that has always attracted me to racing was the preparation of the cars. They were meticulously crafted and looked after, almost works of art. Precision and fastidious care were evident everywhere and details were not overlooked. When I look at crapcan racing cars, I just can't give a, well, a crap. They are just way too ugly and unappealing to be even remotely interesting. But that's just me, to each his own I guess, but even a dirt track stock car makes these things look terrible by contrast.

I agree, but you might want to look past the sheetmetal. There is a lot of talent at these events, both under the hood and behind the wheel.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/17 11:54 a.m.
HapDL wrote: One of the things that has always attracted me to racing was the preparation of the cars. They were meticulously crafted and looked after, almost works of art. Precision and fastidious care were evident everywhere and details were not overlooked. When I look at crapcan racing cars, I just can't give a, well, a crap. They are just way too ugly and unappealing to be even remotely interesting. But that's just me, to each his own I guess, but even a dirt track stock car makes these things look terrible by contrast.

Racing has never a beauty contest it is about winning. If you want a beauty contest go to Pebble Beach.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/7/17 9:35 a.m.

Love the Studs! I wish I still had my old '53 Starliner Coupe. And the supercharged Avanti, not the Avanti II, was a ball to drive.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/17 9:39 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Racing has never a beauty contest it is about winning. If you want a beauty contest go to Pebble Beach.

It's about attention to detail - every detail. It's no coincidence that winning teams usually have the best prepared cars.

I'm tired of the celebration of cars that look neglected and abused. Although I do love the creativity it takes to put an oddball like this on track.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/7/17 9:40 a.m.

If pretty paint and shiny chrome is what attracts you to racing, then you definitely don't want to come to a LeMons race. And believe me, many LeMons cars are meticulously crafted, very much so. Who cares how they look, it's all about how they drive.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/7/17 9:46 a.m.

There are plenty of "pretty" cars at Lemons races. They actually don't usually win. The truly wretched looking ones don't, either - unless it's a judge's choice award or something.

sosp197
sosp197 New Reader
3/7/17 9:50 a.m.

It's a Studebaker Hawk, gotta love it. Amazing how little rust it has after sitting in a swamp, maybe photoshop (nah). I think $800 was a decent buy.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
3/7/17 10:27 a.m.

I like the looks of that car. I had always mistakenly assumed the 289 found in the Studes was a Ford 289.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
3/7/17 11:08 a.m.
Internethero
Internethero New Reader
3/7/17 12:10 p.m.

I had a 57 Golden Hawk, blower and all. Back "in the day" it was quite a car. Sho nuf wish I still had it. Had a 54 Commander coupe back when I was a kid and that was fun also but with limited space to "be a teenager". Can't afford a Hawk now and don't have enough room even if I could, what with all the LBC's I now have. SOMEDAY MAYBE. 5.0 Triumph TR8's can also be fun

sosp197
sosp197 New Reader
3/7/17 9:13 p.m.

I had a '53 coupe V8, '55 Commander coupe V8 and a '55 coupe 6cyl, the V8's are a lot more fun. If I shoved the '73 B out I'd have enough room for one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dF1E7xwWC7LnFR9JZrR0jHmVe9odLBjyqMkGZoXpftfFKTyowJkkWpLhbPeT25L9