1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/17/16 12:08 p.m.

Porsche Cayman S

Even in white. All you need to do is update to the paddle shift wheel.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
3/17/16 12:26 p.m.

Exactly, 09 onward is direct injected 9A1 engine, no IMS, slight power bump.

I looked into snows on Vette, I think they're too low and the wide rears are an issue. S2000 has been fine with snows. It's really not truly snowy that much and I'm in the city so everything gets plowed, but still. If I do a two car solution, one has to sit outside on the garage apron in the alley... not ideal but I'd do it to put a GT3 or Viper in the garage and leave a WRX or something outside.

I also don't love the top down in summer, I get sunburned easily so it's more an evening/cool weather thing for me.

Long term plans are just daily driver, couple track days. Not gonna build this into a serious track car or autocross competitively.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/16 12:42 p.m.

Also, the Caymans with the IMS don't come with the replaceable one. You have to do a full engine teardown to swap it to a ceramic.

More reason the 09+ will likely hold more value. They really are not common though. I can't really find any within 100 miles of me.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/17/16 1:53 p.m.

There you go, with the exception of money seems like the Cayman is the car for you.

If you click the pic it takes you to the dealer page ;)

I would rock it in white with a little graphics...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/17/16 2:05 p.m.
LuxInterior wrote: The Cayman is just achingly gorgeous. I want to have one so I can sit in the garage, drink nice whiskey and *almost* impurely admire it. For me, it'd be worth the premium.

The Boxter is a very good car. The Cayman is just as good, but is beautiful as well. I have no real interest in a Boxter but want to park a Cayman next to my bed so it's the last thing I see at night and the first thing I see in the morning.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
3/17/16 3:53 p.m.

These are some great lines!

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 3:16 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
LuxInterior wrote: The Cayman is just achingly gorgeous. I want to have one so I can sit in the garage, drink nice whiskey and *almost* impurely admire it. For me, it'd be worth the premium.
The Boxter is a very good car. The Cayman is just as good, but is beautiful as well. I have no real interest in a Boxter but want to park a Cayman next to my bed so it's the last thing I see at night and the first thing I see in the morning.

You have your answer when do we get our pics of your new car?

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
4/11/16 4:10 p.m.

If looks sway you, perhaps a Boxster Spyder is in order

Seriously though, you can't go wrong with either car.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
4/11/16 4:56 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Oh yeah, you can add sport plus control without the clock on the dash. So all the go-go control without the premium in purchase price. About $1200.

Sport plus comes with central locking doors and some extra memory functions as well. At least on the Turbo's. To me is a required option period.

FYI both are great cars, I prefer the Boxster for the top down and extra space in the cabin when it is down. Track car no question Cayman.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
4/11/16 5:12 p.m.

Just did another DE with the S2000 and rode along in a 986 Boxster S. I loved the overall feel and dynamics. Cayman S is definitely it... I don't feel like I have to get a convertible this time around. I like them but it's not a love vs hate thing for me like it seems to be for a lot of people. Topdown time obviously limited in Wisconsin and i do enjoy me some track days. Now to sell the Honda!

ptmeyer84
ptmeyer84 Reader
4/12/16 8:25 a.m.

I will chime in about the base 2.9L in the 987.2 chassis. The 2.9L makes near the same amount of power as the 987.1 3.4L. Also, no DI in the 2.9L so carbon build up is a non issue. If you really don't need the extra power, seriously look at the base models. But don't buy any in the middle of the US, thats where I am looking!

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
4/13/16 11:36 a.m.

I kinda want the extra power. The fastest street cars I've owned are nearly stock E36 M3 and the S2000. I'd like to get a Z06 and experience a V8 but that is a no go for winter.

Car is now listed!

BUY ME

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/13/16 11:45 a.m.

In reply to turtl631:

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
4/13/16 11:59 a.m.

If you throw in a Cayman S we have a deal!

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/13/16 12:04 p.m.

OK, so, what exactly are the pain points for an '09+ Cayman or S? It's a Porsche. There is always an expensive flaw in there somewhere. It's almost like they do it on purpose.

If I'm shopping these - what am I avoiding or asking if it's been handled?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/13/16 12:58 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: OK, so, what exactly are the pain points for an '09+ Cayman or S? It's a Porsche. There is always an expensive flaw in there somewhere. It's almost like they do it on purpose. If I'm shopping these - what am I avoiding or asking if it's been handled?

Uncertain of the exact vintage it's applicable to, but one of the Cayman S I've paddocked next to would smoke like a real SOB on restart to head back out to the track.

Was told it was an air/oil separator issue, that there's an improved (from the GT3) part Porsche will sell you to address the issue.

"There's an improved GT3 part you can buy" seemed to be a common refrain.

After listening to Porsche folks at the track, I was starting to form the opinion that Porsches are German made cars with the kind of quirks folks would think add "character" to an Italian car.

But yes, I'd like a Cayman very much if I could manage the $s.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
4/13/16 6:25 p.m.

It doesn't look like the 9A1 DI engine has an obvious big failure point at this time. IMS is gone, oiling issues from the earlier Caymans are resolved. This engine is in all the Boxster/Cayman/911 cars since 2009 now? Lots of them out there. I'm sure there are some carbon buildup issues since its a DI engine. The 987.1 cars with the prior engine are definitely a lot cheaper and there are more of them out there for sale. I think I'm going to push for the newest/nicest I can swing though. It's another decent jump in price for the 981 generation, and while I do prefer the styling, I really don't want to spend that much. I think manual naturally aspirated Porsches are going to hold value just fine so if I end up selling it shouldn't be too big of a hit.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
4/25/16 1:17 p.m.

Few nibbles on the Honda but still listed. These 987.2 manual Cayman S cars are thin on the ground, <10 nationwide on autotrader. And most are white/black/silver. I love white cars but this time I'd prefer something not in grayscale. I would prefer to sell the Honda before I get the Porsche, but at this rate I may be waiting a while to find the right one so the timing will be tricky. I can't be carless so maybe my wife will just have to put up with an extra car hanging around for a while.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
5/12/16 1:08 p.m.

Pondering 996TT instead, similar price to the 987.2 Cayman, stout motor, way fast... But more of a GT car, and significantly older so more dated looks and more stuff will be wearing out. 12+ year old German car for a daily driver? Thoughts? There are just so few of the Caymans for sale unless I go 987.1 which I'd prefer not to do.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GMDKw1Y9YFS01tKI5yFV5R7PdW2NPXYC2L2knkIbD1UnQCoC0bAVMVAUuC54JASr