1 2 3 4 5 6
joepaluch
joepaluch New Reader
12/18/08 9:04 a.m.

Yep, Boxster = modern 914.

Back when they came out 1997 I saw an article and even most of the dimensions were similar between 914 and boxster. However for markting reason they chose to play it off as modern 550 spyder. Not really true.

I have seen 914 with 3.6L 993 Motors in them. Those motors were 282 hp stock with lots for torque. They fit nicely in 914 body, but need some chassis strengthening to handle the power. Any air cooled 911 motor will fit in a 914. The issues is always the gearbox however since it needs to be flipped to run in 914 since the engine is infront the rear wheels rather than behind it.

Now the 944 shares alot fo VW and Audi parts. In fact the 924 was orginally designed by Porsche for VW/Audi. Then VW killed the projected when it was 95% complete. At them time in mid 70's Porsche was in need of a new entry level car as the 914 was getting old. So for 1977 they bought back the EA425 (as it was called) design back from VW for pennies on the dollar and brough it to market as the 924 using a 2.0L audi derived motor.

Over the 12 years Porsche gradually moved away from VW/Audi parts bin items to more Porsche designed parts. In 1982 they came up with the 944 which was the 924 tub with a 2.5L Porsche designed motor based on 928's V8 and added flared fenders from the 924 GTS racer.

In 1985 they took the same basic tub and ditched much of the VW interior and replaced it was a nicer Porsche interior. At the same time they added a turbo model to the line up bring hp to 220. By 89 the turbo made 250hp and was just as fast as the top of the line 911 Turbo of the day. However prices had really gone up so due poor sales they ditchd it and replaced the 2.5L normally aspirated car with 3.0L 16valve motor with 208 hp. In 92 they revised the body work, added a variable intake bring hp to 236 and called the new moded a 968. By 95 the run was done and boxster came in 1997.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
12/18/08 9:56 a.m.

Those Spec Boxsters sound great, especially the silver one!

David

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/18/08 2:27 p.m.

What is a good forum to learn more about the Boxster?

Edit: I found www.boxsterspec.com. That is where those photo's came from. Cool stuff!!

GRM1964
GRM1964 New Reader
12/18/08 4:09 p.m.

Keep us posted on your car, I love this thread! I have been looking at the Boxster off and on for awhile, and I just can't believe you can get that much car for that little of money.

BBC

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/08 10:09 a.m.

Anybody who's thinking about a Boxster should pick up a copy of the December issue of Excellence magazine.

There's a great article by the late Jim Pasha that covers every detail of the M96 Boxster and 911 (996) engines, including fixes for common issues.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/21/08 8:24 p.m.

Wanted to bump this thread. I have been doing a lot of research on the Boxster since reading this thread. I have to say, I am getting more and more convinced that this will be my direction for my track day car.

Also looks like "Wayne at Pelican Parts" is coming out with a good book on projects for the Boxster. I am very excited about the abundance of these cars which hopefully means a cheap one can be found. Then swap in a decent motor and build her up nicely.

Hmm, wonder if an ls1 would fit nicely? Joke.

EricM
EricM Reader
12/21/08 10:36 p.m.

"third radiator"

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
12/21/08 11:34 p.m.

Most of the interior stripped down now to bare minimum for street use. Installing a set of track pads and an extra radiator and I should be ready to go. Found a free Boxster S nose (Its red LOL!) that has cut out for third radiator and will be installing 3rd radiator this week. I have new Wevo engine and tranny mounts that are supposed to be huge improvement. Fabbing aluminum pieces to hold window switches, etc. Car is gong to be fun!

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
12/22/08 12:14 a.m.

In reply to joepaluch: "A typically spec boxster build runs about 25k." ... not if you buy a sub $10K Boxster. Prices in the past 4 months have plummeted. $25K number was based on $15K donor car. We are starting to see $7500 Boxsters as a fairly common occurrence past couple of months.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
12/22/08 7:06 a.m.

boxsterbuddy, I would be interested in seeing some more pictures when you have a chance.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/22/08 8:01 a.m.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Third radiator? Anyone care to tell this noob where they are?

Well..wait. Two on either side and one in the nose? Is that right?

MikenOH
MikenOH New Reader
12/22/08 9:19 a.m.

Here's a link to a guy that documented his process of turning a "donor" car into a spec. boxster racer. http://www.barrickpickeringracing.com/_mgxroot/page_10733.html

EricM
EricM Reader
12/22/08 1:31 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote: Whoa, whoa, whoa! Third radiator? Anyone care to tell this noob where they are? Well..wait. Two on either side and one in the nose? Is that right?

yes,

Some of the tiptronix cars got them, some of the first Gen "S" got them.

Porsche has a "kit" for third radiator all OEM stuff. You have to cut a hole in the front lip, but nothing a dremmel can't handle.

Woody
12/22/08 9:17 p.m.
Rangeball wrote: Wanted to bump this thread. I have been doing a lot of research on the Boxster since reading this thread. I have to say, I am getting more and more convinced that this will be my direction for my track day car. Also looks like "Wayne at Pelican Parts" is coming out with a good book on projects for the Boxster. I am very excited about the abundance of these cars which hopefully means a cheap one can be found. Then swap in a decent motor and build her up nicely. Hmm, wonder if an ls1 would fit nicely? Joke.

From the Pelican board:

Hmm, I've been working on this thing for two years? Gosh, time flies. Well, it's due Feb 1st at my publisher, so I've been working on it quite a lot lately. It will be out in 2009, with a 996 book and a MINI Cooper book shortly thereafter. It's coming along nicely!

-Wayne

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
1/1/09 2:21 a.m.

A few more updated pics

Rear cage

KW Variant II, Tarret endlinks, Tarret swaybar

Center radiator cutout in bumper with wire mesh

GT3 control arm with shim for more neg camber.

Another of car

conedodger
conedodger New Reader
1/3/09 12:00 p.m.

Nice Grant! I didn't know you blew the motor on that thing on your first outing. Rob seems delighted with the Pirate Ship... I am curious though. He sold your old trailer. I wonder how he plans on getting that thing to and from events?

Good progress.

Having owned a Boxster and several 914's, I have to agree with Grant here. The Boxster is the successor to the 914 in terms of design. While the cheap-to-build mindset has a point to make, I believe the point is that Porsche made a rear mid-engined car from '70 - '75 and went back to that layout for the Boxster. I think the fact that they did not play on the family connection was a mistake and I think they will play to that connection with their marketing in the future. A recent press function at Willow Springs featured the Brumos 914, the #1 Gmund Porsche car, a Spyder, and the new Boxster was it? The point is they were definately playing up the heritage to the assembled press. In my mind, that supports Boxsterbuddys premise that the Boxster is the new 914.

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
1/5/09 2:51 p.m.

I also think people forget that the 914 wasn't cheap compared to 911. In fact the 914-6 was about the same price as a 911.

Having owned a few 914's over the past 30 years and owning 2 boxsters the cars share some very similar layout and handling traits. Porsche fixed the rust problem and has done incredible job with boxster suspension and brakes but to me the two cars share similar feel on track.

Base 2.5 liter boxster came with underwhelming power plant just as the 914 did. The boxster S shared similar price point as the 914-6 and still was underpowered. Boxster takes 996 powerplant upgrade just like the 914 took 911 engines. Boxsters were built by contractors just like 914. Boxsters have cheap mass produced parts that don't seem to fit the porsche image. Boxster shared 996 front suspension. 911 suspension bolts into 914.

Having torn down both 914 and now a boxster the 914 design heritage is evident.

This boxster is a blast! It is concieable to pickup a boxster with a blown motor for under $3k now. I have seen a couple examples. Used motors are as low as $2500.

B02S4
B02S4 Reader
1/5/09 6:55 p.m.
boxsterbuddy wrote: I...This boxster is a blast! It is concieable to pickup a boxster with a blown motor for under $3k now. I have seen a couple examples. Used motors are as low as $2500.

Thanks for your post. I'm saving it.

Which Boxster is currently the best bang for the buck from your perspective? I'm leaning toward a 2.7.

Woody
1/6/09 10:01 a.m.

The 2.7 engine seems to be much better at keeping the oil off of your garage floor, but they also are holding onto their value much better than the early cars. I haven't seen many that are priced too far below $20k.

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
1/8/09 7:24 p.m.

In reply to B02S4:

For a street car the 2.7 is a great car . I drove a 2002 2.7 for 65,000 miles with no problems. I have seen clean 2.7's go as low as $13K

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
1/7/10 6:19 p.m.

Well its a year later ...and car is going through a few more changes. This week I brought it to race fab shop to have a few things done. Cutting windshield out, removing dash, headlights are out, production race car style cage going in. Plan to get weight down close to 2000 lbs. Have also just finnished installing LSD in the car as well.

The car is flying at AX events now. Here is a little video clip of the car before it went in for major surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3uYEVnVf-E

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/7/10 6:34 p.m.

Holy crap! Is that just a mostly stock motor just freed up with some weight reduction?

ratghia
ratghia Reader
1/7/10 6:44 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
benzbaron wrote: Wasn't the 914 just a VW in any other guise? I saw a picture of one of those things with VW badges in a mag somewhere. Those things are light, once my relative ran over my foot accidently and it didn't ever hurt. I like the little meats 914.
It was joint effort between Porsche and VW. In Europe the 4 cylinder version was badged as a "VW Porsche." I don't know if they were sold through VW dealers, Porsche dealers or both in Europe. The 6 cylinder was strictly a Porsche. In the US, all 914's were marketed and sold as Porsches. Given its mixed parentage, I have ofter wondered if you could put high output late model VW/Audi engine in one and run it SCCA Street Mod 2 autocross.

If you look at the vin sticker on one it says Volkswagenwerk and all the parts have a VW logo.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 7:15 p.m.

In reply to boxsterbuddy:

hot E36 M3! that car is so friggin' sexy on phone dials!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/10 7:38 p.m.

Wow, those wheels do look right on that car.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rEIjhJ1Qh5UkOflnUwkeDdW5ain0IAf7WVLJJZOHPQENJ9P5kaeIlqr2m9gcd99d