kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/15/21 11:31 a.m.

Anyone have a clue on the CF ratings that are stamped onto the sides of brake pads? I know the basics of the two letters but i am wondering how that corresponds to ceramics versus semi-metallics.

I keep seeing that some premium pads that are semi-metallic have a lower rating in both nominal temp and higher temp than another ceramic pad that is a lower tier pad by the manufacturer. So im unsure of how they are graded if those letters dont correspond to what im reading.

My debacle, 2017 Colorado with the diesel. Truck seems to "warp" the front rotors quite a bit due to my idiot style of driving and towing a heavier load behind it. The factory GM pads are a ceramic compound rated with an FG on it. Id like to find a better pad but looking at options they either 1. tell you nothing about the pad and just say "its better" in the language or 2. the rating for a "better" pad is actually less than the factory rating(FG to an FF or FE).

I found the Raybestos Element3 Hybrid pads which show them to be a GG rating for both front and rear. This is rated higher than the OE pads but i am unsure if the compound difference would change the rating or not? They are not listed as either semi-metallic nor ceramic. Only states hybrid in the description.

Then there are the Powerstop Z36 tow rated pads which are ceramic with an FF rating for the front and an FE rating for the rear? That totally threw me off.

Can anyone shed a little light onto this for me so i can make a decision on what pads to put on the truck?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4DYQ4bCB9lOOlp2xRYEEqnKhOFxS1eD1Xvsk1tqyQvJgh6grywLULftHdMZxImB3