Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/18/18 12:06 p.m.

Last weekend I did a front brake job on my parents' 00 Tundra, including an upgrade to the 05-06 MY 231mm front calipers, and now the truck has remained stuck in my driveway all damn week because I cannot get the system to bleed fully. I've bled all four corners at least a half dozen times at this point, tried both the old fashioned way and with my Mityvac, even built a garden sprayer pressure bleeder this morning. All to no avail. Master never went dry or anything.

Pumping the pedel a few times builds just a hint of pressure, and the rear brakes do seem to be functioning at least to some extent taking it up and down the driveway, but the fronts don't seem to be giving anything at all. I'm seeing clean fluid and no bubbles out of the bleeders and no leaks anywhere that I can detect. The caliper swap seems to be a relatively common upgrade and I haven't heard of others having issues like this as a result of it.

So wtf? I'm beyond frustrated at this point and want the thing out of my driveway. Any thoughts, ideas, or tricks for me? Air in the ABS system maybe?

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/18/18 12:09 p.m.

Do the rears have drums or maybe discs with hydraulic drum parking brakes? If those are way loose you’ll get the symptoms you described. I’ve had it happen with a Chevy truck. Adjusted the rear drums and the pedal firmed right up. 

dhof
dhof New Reader
11/18/18 12:21 p.m.

Since you did calipers, make sure the caliper wasn't installed upside down, i did that once and car didnt bleed.

When you crack the bleeder is there steady fluid coming into the hose you attached to bleeder?

Also how long was the brake line unattached for? Possible air in AbS unit?

Is there a specific order to bleed toyota calls for? If not did you bleed furthest from the MC first.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
11/18/18 12:26 p.m.

Collapsed rubber lines.

tooms351
tooms351 Reader
11/18/18 12:33 p.m.

Did you reuse the crush washers? I did that just once.

Furious_E
11/18/18 1:01 p.m.

In reply to dhof :

E36 M3, we might have a winner, I think they are upside down. I did think to myself it was stupid of them to put the bleeder on the bottom, never occurred to me that that might indicate they were upside down blush

I'll flip them, bleed again, and see what happens, but first I need to eat something and warm up a bit.

Furious_E
11/18/18 3:05 p.m.

That indeed fixed it. Thanks everyone!

dhof
dhof New Reader
11/18/18 3:16 p.m.

Been there done that lol, frustrating,atleast its an easy fix.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/18 3:47 p.m.

I won't admit to doing that.  Nope, I won't.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/19/18 3:53 p.m.

Your brakes - "I ain't got time to bleed."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TCAdlHnbkyhxTMw090Y5WfTiZjytgIDnyyefBhloKtGh5F895EK3w3KNpHrasxgA