Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/11/14 7:48 a.m.

nice buy!!! sharp truck

when you gonna..

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/11/14 7:57 a.m.
Driven5 wrote: I too have yet to see a single founded, logical, or intelligent argument against the simple physics of raising the crash impact structure, of a vehicle already mismatched in height and weight with the majority of passenger cars on the road, by another 8 or more inches...In addition to raising the center of gravity by the same amount, on a vehicle already mismatched in maneuverability and braking with the majority of passenger cars on the road, and putting it on tires specifically designed to sacrifice on-road performance in exchange for enhanced off-road capabilities.

I have no argument. I just don't care. I like stupid old Saabs, my 2WD diesel SUV, and various other misfit toys. She likes her lifted truck.

I want to encourage auto enthusiasm in any form.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/11/14 8:14 a.m.

Driven5, you have no idea of my wife's skill level, the trucks abilities or my ability to maintain this truck, yet you know plenty about this vehicles risk.

Why bring it here man, start your own thread about your pet hate.

Mine is people who stomp all over anyone else's happiness.

You were a dick man

rotard
rotard Dork
9/11/14 8:21 a.m.

As soon as I saw the pictures, I wondered how long it would take before someone drank the haterade. It took longer than I expected.

Nice truck.

aussiesmg wrote: Driven5, you have no idea of my wife's skill level, the trucks abilities or my ability to maintain this truck, yet you know plenty about this vehicles risk. Why bring it here man, start your own thread about your pet hate. Mine is people who stomp all over anyone else's happiness. You were a dick man
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/11/14 8:50 a.m.

So "The Ford F-150’s towing capacity ranges from 5,200-11,300 pounds, depending on cab style, engine, axle ratio, transmission and optional towing packages."

The brakes are ok to stop the truck plus a 5,000 trailer but bolt on some over-sized wheels and tires and the stopping ability is in question?

Ok I'm out (unless I think of something else to write)

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
9/11/14 9:12 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: You were a dick man

Regarding how I chose to word the first half of my first post, I can't disagree...And for that, I do apologize.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
9/11/14 9:12 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: I am not sure why everyone is getting in such a twist about what Driven5 is saying. Whereas their original post maybe was slightly harsh what they state is true. I know, I have owned lifted vehicles. And when I am sitting at a light in my Miata and the lifted truck behind me's bumper is level with the back of my skull, well thats a little disconcerting too. I think everybody here can at least agree that by raising a vehicles height you generally are not improving the handling characteristics. I didn't really want to jump in to the middle of this but I can see both sides.

I have a lowered 911 and a lifted Jeep among other things....plus I DD a motorcycle. Luckily I can't be on the road with myself at the same time otherwise I'd be a danger to myself!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/11/14 9:13 a.m.

Out of the literally tens of automobile accidents I've witnessed in 40+years in real-time plus the dozens I've seen after the fact, I've NEVER seen one involving a lifted truck let alone CAUSED by the lift or tires.

It's almost as if lifted trucks injuring or killing people is a strawman, hmmmmm...

I'm sure if I looked I could find pictures but all I seem to see is imports "racing", texting in passenger cars and generally everything BUT big, lifted trucks killing people.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
9/11/14 9:18 a.m.

So now you have a tow rig, to trailer stuff home with?....and it's your wife's. Nicely played, nicely played.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/11/14 9:21 a.m.

We can apparently turn anything into an argument here.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/14 9:25 a.m.
dculberson wrote: We can apparently turn anything into an argument here.

No we cant.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/11/14 9:27 a.m.

walks in, walks out

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/11/14 9:37 a.m.
Driven5 wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: You were a dick man
Regarding how I chose to word the first half of my first post, I can't disagree...And for that, I do apologize.

There comes a time when the only logical thing to do is shut up and leave the room with your tail between your legs.

You passed that time in your first post. Please stop.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
9/11/14 10:01 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

I typed out a giant post, and deleted it. I will bring back from part if it back from the delete. I live in GA. Every daddy's rich 16 year old is driving around on lifted diesels, competing in my truck is bigger than your truck. Let's give a kid who can't drive, a stupidly powerful block that will kill him and everyone else around him. Your tens of of automobile is in the wrong demographic.

We force auto manufacturers to spend billions ensuring the vehicles are as safe as possible, and throw that out the window when the car leaves the lot. Sure there is plenty of other unsafe things going on the road, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of my rear bumper being used as a ramp.

That being said, if you aren't driving like a 16 year old moron and are more cautious because of what you are driving, than drive on my friend.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/11/14 10:22 a.m.
logdog wrote:
No we cant.

An argument isn't just contradiction! An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
9/11/14 10:30 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I was at the mall today picking up some stuff.. the Local Chevy dealer has a bunch of cars inside on display. One is a Chevy 2500 that has the offroad package and all the goodies. I stand 5'11" and the hood was chin high on me and it stickered at almost $62,000!?!

Heck, the F350 dad bought last year was around $53k.....and that was a regular cab 4x4 xlt with the diesel. $70k+ if you wanted a crew cab dually diesel in a higher trim level.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/11/14 10:43 a.m.

Happy wife indeed.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/14 12:08 p.m.

With another tow vehicle in the fleet, team Aussie can now fetch twice as many project cars from the far flung corners of the Midwest in half the time!

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
9/11/14 12:41 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I apologize for apologizing?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/11/14 1:22 p.m.

Guys, do I really have to lock this thread?

Lifted trucks don't handle as well. Lifted trucks are not the answer for everybody's problem.

Look at my avatar. That's me in my Trooper, with 4" of lift, all-terrain tires, a 50-pound jack on the roof, and only one sway bar... lapping Road Atlanta's full course.

It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/11/14 1:25 p.m.

That was not an apology, and you know it.

It was a partial "apology" for PART of a single post. Your participation in this thread has been arrogant, condescending, and frankly full of E36 M3 in every post, including your alleged "apology".

My request for you to stop was much more universal than a single post.

Congrats, Aussie! I am excited for both you and Gina!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/11/14 1:27 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Not on my behalf, Tom.

I will not say anything more.

If you need to remove my posts, you have my permission (though I know you don't need it).

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/11/14 1:30 p.m.

I'm still giggling about hoedozer.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/11/14 1:36 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
logdog wrote:
No we cant.
An argument isn't just contradiction! An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

One of these days someone will get that reference.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
9/11/14 2:28 p.m.

Sorry if this needs to be deleted Tom, but I would like to clear the air on one last thing, since much of what was actually written by me has been badly mischaracterized. Regardless of how this too might get misinterpreted, I still want to let aussiemg know that the above apology was entirely sincere and that nothing I wrote or implied relating to you, your family, your truck, or lifted trucks in general after that first incendiary sentence that diverted your thread was written with malicious intent behind it.

I do wish you the best, and genuinely hope that you get many miles of 's out of your new truck.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bk7LZLY9RSKhwrfRBOvxCQPd5EvyiVSR4sz8xVHVwvJW01ggoPsnyIeFl300ysTs