gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/23/16 9:00 p.m.

SO this past weekend SWMBO needed an oil change and transmission fluid change. Being that her vehicle(2003 sienna) has had regular trans fluid changes every 30k miles since we bought it with 60k on the clock but never a trans fluid filter change, at 210,000 I decided to change the transmission filter for the first time ever on any vehicle in my life. (mostly due to the fact that I now have air and an air ratchet) Despite the fact that everything going smoothly, when I finally mated the pan back to the transmission, there was a totally unstoppable stream of fluid coming out one small area, I did the best I could. Lo and behold, when I got everything tightened back together, the leak stopped and has yet to reappear, so yay! We have a winner!

My question to you is, what new mechanical adventure have you embarked on that totally worked out as a win when you were sure you were going to fail?

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
8/23/16 10:08 p.m.

I have never thought I could not do it before starting. I have been overly proud when it DOES work. My Dad sat me down with a sprung framing square and taught me how to square it up...took 4 hours! I was always told that someone can do it...so just be someone! Just finished a convertible top and it turned out better and easier than I thought.

Had a projection TV that popped,turned off and poofed out smoke one evening. 30 minutes later, I had it apart, found a bad solder joint, fixed it and the TV lasted 3 more years! I was fully prepared to buy a new one so the stakes were kinda low.

I did fail to remove windshields 4 times before I got it right.

Had a girlfriend get mad because I kept repairing the dryer rather than get her a new shiny one. She ended up leaving me over installing an ice maker when she wanted a new fridge. I count this as a good outcome because she was crazy!

I started with broke, at worst I end up with broke!

Bruce

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/23/16 10:44 p.m.

I painted my car. It's obvious that I've never done it before, but the color is different so it worked?

There was a bit of blood and lots of swearing, so it counts as mechanical.

I wired up a proper sub panel in my garage last year, that was a first. I've always been scared of breaker panels, particularly old ones, but managed to do it up right. No fires, no shocks.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/23/16 11:00 p.m.

Never did an engine swap or a clutch. Did both by myself. Clutch worked flawlessly. The engine lasted 9 months before E36 M3ting the bed, forcing me to rely on my new found skill to stab another engine in. Successfully, I might add.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
8/24/16 6:12 a.m.

It wasn't all that long ago that I was barely comfortable doing an oil change. Seriously. I still have less mechanical skill than 95% of the folks on this board, but with a lot of help, I've learned to do a lot more than I would have figured I could. While I lack the skills and experience, I'm no longer as intimidated by it all as I used to be, so that's half the battle.

einy
einy Reader
8/24/16 6:19 a.m.

Re-routed the gas line to our fireplace, and didn't blow up the house in the process last winter .... I count that as a 'win' !!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/24/16 6:28 a.m.

Megasquirt. Sort of runs. Learning how to actually use a computer and tuning software for the first time. Kind of counts as mechanical.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
8/24/16 6:34 a.m.

Pretty much every major thing I've tried was at one point out of my comfort zone. The first engine I truly 'built', turbocharging an NA car, my first Megasquirt install, and a manual trans swap into something never sold that way all fell into that category. I did just buy a house though, and working on that is so different from a car that I never know how anything is going to turn out.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
8/24/16 7:54 a.m.

See here. lol.

TL;DR Just my chronicle of my home rehab. Most of the stuff I do is learning as a go and finding the right way afterwards.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/24/16 8:55 a.m.

Never built a V8 powered Miata Station Wagon before...will let you know how it works out.

On the "Stuff I have never done before" list I have working with AC. It is on the "To do" list for the Molvo.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
8/24/16 9:29 a.m.

Thanks to all the information that abounds on vehicle-specific forums I've been able to attempt tons of things that I might not have done otherwise (being afraid of getting stuck or not having the right tools). YouTube is a big help too.

Installing lifts, transmission cooler, brakes, etc. For someone with a simple tool kit and no garage I feel like I've been able to tinker quite a bit.

failboat
failboat UberDork
8/24/16 9:49 a.m.

I swapped springs and did a timing belt change on my hyundai. Both went smoothly but I attribute that to the car being simple as hell and there being good resources on the internet.

Before that I guess the most difficult repair tasks i had performed was replacing disc brake stuff and lots of oil changes.

Same goes for home repairs. I seem to attempt more and more in the quest to save a few $$ and learn something in the process.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
8/24/16 10:22 a.m.

My second 2.3t swap. It fired right up and ran compared too all the issues i had with the first one that caused the part out. Proper wiring diagrams for the harness repin make a huge diffrence.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
8/24/16 10:31 a.m.

The first engine I ever built was for money. I rebuilt a 1600cc FIAT twincam. Took me two months to get it done. Measured everything 862 times. Drove the machinist around the bend with questions. Was completely meticulous in cleaning and reassembly. The engine ran beautifully and the customer, while skeptical because I took so much time, was pleased with the result.

When you do stuff for the first time, most people with any brainpower are super-careful and the results show it. That care may extend into the second time you attempt the same job. However, watch out for lackadaisical attitude and corner cutting the third and fourth time you do something. The third motor I did had some "close" and "good enough" in it. Then I read an article that discussed stacking bad tolerances and I redid all the questionable stuff. However much it cost, time or money-wise, to redo the work was a lot cheaper than hauling a motor back out and fixing the problem later. It was a great lesson. Thankfully, I didn't have to learn it the hard way.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
8/24/16 6:18 p.m.

Dad taught me how to change motor oil. Everything else I've had to figure out on my own. The good news is, it's usually much faster and better the next time.

gunner
8/25/16 4:28 p.m.

Thanks for all the great responses! You all have inspired me to do the timing chain on the f150 when it hits 200k. If that goes well I'll consider doing the one on the e28, but probably will still pay to have that one done.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/25/16 4:59 p.m.

Transmissions are my "voodoo". Never been in them. Not sure I want to try. maybe some day. other than that? Meh, I'll try anything. I mean, hell, if it's already broke how much worse can I make it?

djsilver
djsilver Reader
8/25/16 5:13 p.m.

I've purchased either a factory service manual or a commercial workshop manual for every car I've owned for many years. That, you-tube, and forums will get you through!

Seek to understand. Then when A goes into B, but B won't go into C, you have some idea of what to look at at where to go next...,

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/25/16 7:29 p.m.

Rear axle rebuild and gear swap. Had 3.08s and went to 4.10s with a Torsen-style posi. In the process I also replaced the crush sleeve with a solid spacer/reluctor. 40k on it without exploding.

I thought for sure I would get the backlash or pinion depth wrong, but its quiet and all good.

gunner
8/25/16 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

For me it was that it wasn't broke, just needed maintenance and I didn't want to break it, though for about 10 minutes there I was pretty sure I did.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/16 10:04 p.m.
egnorant wrote: I was always told that someone can do it...so just be someone

That's awesome. I'm keeping that one

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hE8wQ1nL77fxtZNNsa6jEtDpMQeiTlxHNY8mA3j3qvJFB4vNHIx6TVHjVqtwMrKW