Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/24/08 9:42 a.m.

My grandfather was a precision machinist / tool and die maker. I inherited all of his tools when he passed away.

Whenever I stripped the threads on one of my projects, I always had the proper tap to fix it, but it would take me forever to sort through everything to find the right size. Yesterday, I started to go through it all and get it organized into a single, larger tool box.

I found that I had every size that I needed, plus many, many duplicates. I decided to e-Bay some of it, but in the process of sorting and cataloging what I had (more than a thousand), I found a few handfuls that had broken teeth.

Back when I was an 18 year old gopher in a machine shop, I remember that I had to pick up all of the tiny, broken carbide cutters, as they were valuable and they were recycled separately from the other scrap.

I'm fairly sure that taps must be made of somewhat better than average quality steel, but are they worth separating out from regular scrap metal?

Incidentally, the newest of these are about 35 years old. Not only were they made in America, most appear to have been made within 100 miles of where my Grandfather worked!

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
7/24/08 10:05 a.m.

The short answer is no. Carbide is maybe $9/lb, though I'm not up to date. It would be worth separating. The rest would be some version of high carbon/ high speed steel, and not worth the trouble.

Put all the ones with broken teeth in a bag and sell them on CL. They may still be useful. Or you can grind them down past the busted part, and have taps for tight clearance apps. You can make a bottoming tap in a like manner. Grind the end off until you have a full thread on the bottom.

I bought a tool and die makers homemade tool chest full of stuff at an auction recently. I thought it was a Kennedy until I got it home and had a closer look. Full of a bunch of awesome homebuilt stuff, as well as 100's of taps and files.

Neat stuff. Some of the old timers could do amazing stuff.

-James

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
7/24/08 10:39 p.m.

broken taps can make good lathe cutting tools and home made boring bar cutters with the aid of a bench top grinder.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GGwVxxmvn5xeoT8OxFcJXdHHUOmACl1XNCukJo100yKE38Zgjezo5eblrmzNM1eb