1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/14/14 11:42 a.m.

Yeah, the Challenger is built on the Pajero chassis from what i understand.

I think all the Monteros i've been looking at that aren't first gens are actually Sports. I don't really have a preference between the two. It seems the Montero will fit 33" tires from factory, and the Montero Sport requires a lift to do that.

Something to think about if i end up getting one and hanging onto it long term, but i'm not afraid to lift my SUV.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/15/14 3:33 p.m.

Less budget, more awesome?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/4680878865.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/15/14 3:37 p.m.

Too much 3F-E motor for me.

When i buy a J60/J80 (not if, but WHEN), it'll be one i want, not one i settle for.

This thread is merely me looking for something somewhat cool for $2k or less that i can throw away after two years.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
10/15/14 3:50 p.m.

Personal experience with a 99 Amigo V6 4WD (same mechanicals as the 2nd gen Rodeo). Mine was a 5-speed manual. Loved it. During the 120,000 miles I had it, it was dead reliable. Got 22 - 24 mpg highway, all I did to it was a 2" lift (reset the front torsion bars, ordered rear springs from Valley Spring Works in California - just called them, told them what vehicle and how much lift, they sent me the springs - $200 back in 1999 - took about 4 hours to do the whole lift. These had a Dana 44 rear end, and a limited slip. Very rugged, well built, capable off road, comfortable for a SUV, I loved it. If I hadn't had a stupid accident with it I'd have it today. So I'd look real seriously at the Rodeo on your list. That said, I have no idea about parts availability.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
10/15/14 3:51 p.m.

I'm happy I could bring this thread to a resolution for you!

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4633693138.html

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/15/14 3:52 p.m.

will to live fading...

Just buy something already.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/15/14 4:09 p.m.

In reply to Cotton:

What... in... the... world....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/15/14 4:09 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: will to live fading... Just buy something already.

Hush, you. The original plan was to buy something after the Challenge, but the MX6 is dead, long live the MX6, so now i'm trying to scrounge another $500 then i'll go buy something.

Jim Pettengill wrote: Personal experience with a 99 Amigo V6 4WD (same mechanicals as the 2nd gen Rodeo). Mine was a 5-speed manual. Loved it. During the 120,000 miles I had it, it was dead reliable. Got 22 - 24 mpg highway, all I did to it was a 2" lift (reset the front torsion bars, ordered rear springs from Valley Spring Works in California - just called them, told them what vehicle and how much lift, they sent me the springs - $200 back in 1999 - took about 4 hours to do the whole lift. These had a Dana 44 rear end, and a limited slip. Very rugged, well built, capable off road, comfortable for a SUV, I loved it. If I hadn't had a stupid accident with it I'd have it today. So I'd look real seriously at the Rodeo on your list. That said, I have no idea about parts availability.

Thanks Jim. I didn't know a damn thing about those, but they sound like they're pretty stout. SWMBO likes the way they look, too, so that's good.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/19/14 2:27 p.m.

The MX6 is dead?! I thought they were un-killable!!

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/19/14 5:13 p.m.

I actually really liked the 2g Montero i had. If it got decent MPG i would not have let it go without buying a nicer one first.

If i ever find a cheap and suitable diesel swap donor i would strongly consider getting another 2g montero and building it as a 'keeper'.

Crazy thing, too.. my SWMBO and my brother's SWMBO both grew really fond of driving the one i had, and it's not an especially 'civilized' vehicle. It's very truckish, but also very endearing.

I kind of want to try a Vehicross now but they cost enough that i cant buy one without SWMBO being onboard with it, and she doesn't like them.

I also had a 1st gen Rodeo with the GM 3.1 TBI/5spd and it was a GREAT vehicle as well. But, mine was not 4wd so it had no real way of justifying itself vs the cars i already had. I flipped it for 3x the purchase price after i couldnt figure out a good reason to keep it. It was still a great vehicle.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
10/19/14 7:04 p.m.

I daily drove a 91 rodeo with a 3.1gm/5 speed combo for a while and loved it. even after turning it into a trail truck it never had any driveline issues. was the factory xlt with 31 10.5's and 4.30 gears. it survived me and another owner who used it offroad only. id daily another one for sure

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/19/14 8:16 p.m.

I really think the early GM motor is the one to get because a TBI 3.1 is ludicrous cheap and easy to work on and the extra power from the later motor isnt really worth all the extra parts that can fail. My .02.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/19/14 8:36 p.m.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4721867201.html

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/4701516895.html

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/23/14 2:24 p.m.

Alright so... since this is a thread about SUVs that aren't Cherokees, and i hate hate HATE red cars, naturally i'm...

...looking at a red 98 Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr 5spd on Saturday. SWMBO's stepdad has one that he's had for a few years, and now he thinks the oil pump is on the way out, so he's wanting to sell it to us for $2500. Two things: 1) I'm not going to pay $2500 for it if i get it, maybe $2000. 2) There's no way the oil pump is toast after 170k miles. More likely, the sending unit went bad, as ours is on its 3rd one since purchase, and the clusters are absolute garbage in the later Cherokees.

So Saturday, i'm going out there with a mechanical pressure gauge, checking it, finding out that it has awesome oil pressure, not saying a damn thing, then driving home with it.

At least... that's the smart theory and really, the best idea from a "this is smart" perspective.

But it's also boring. I'm hoping that the motor is hosed so i don't have to buy it.

What i'm looking at tomorrow:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4712854169.html

Yep. That's a beat up 94 Land Cruiser. I already trolled car-part.com and found replacement hood, fenders, and door for about $550 already in the correct color all within 2 hours of my location. If it's not bent and looks like i can get it looking even halfway presentable with a BFH and some nut/bolt work, i'll be buying that.

Also: the latest TGUSA has got me really wanting a Montero, so i'll probably end up with one of some sort if both the Land Cruiser and the Cherokee are a no go.

In the meantime... what exactly should i be looking for to see if this Cruiser is a lost cause vs. a bolt-on-parts-and-roll scenario? Owner says it runs and drives well, and i'm of the thought that if something as stoutly built as one of these was truly bent/messed up, the body damage would look a LOT worse, but that's not just gut feeling.

Halp?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/24/14 12:11 p.m.

Leaving in an hour to go look at the Land Cruiser.

Hoping it's not bent.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/14 12:26 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Alright so... since this is a thread about SUVs that aren't Cherokees, and i hate hate HATE red cars, naturally i'm... ...looking at a red 98 Cherokee Sport 4x4 2dr 5spd on Saturday. SWMBO's stepdad has one that he's had for a few years, and now he thinks the oil pump is on the way out, so he's wanting to sell it to us for $2500. Two things: 1) I'm not going to pay $2500 for it if i get it, maybe $2000. 2) There's no way the oil pump is toast after 170k miles. More likely, the sending unit went bad, as ours is on its 3rd one since purchase, and the clusters are absolute garbage in the later Cherokees. So Saturday, i'm going out there with a mechanical pressure gauge, checking it, finding out that it has awesome oil pressure, not saying a damn thing, then driving home with it. At least... that's the smart theory and really, the best idea from a "this is smart" perspective. But it's also boring. I'm hoping that the motor is hosed so i don't have to buy it. What i'm looking at tomorrow: http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4712854169.html Yep. That's a beat up 94 Land Cruiser. I already trolled car-part.com and found replacement hood, fenders, and door for about $550 already in the correct color all within 2 hours of my location. If it's not bent and looks like i can get it looking even halfway presentable with a BFH and some nut/bolt work, i'll be buying that. Also: the latest TGUSA has got me really wanting a Montero, so i'll probably end up with one of some sort if both the Land Cruiser and the Cherokee are a no go. In the meantime... what exactly should i be looking for to see if this Cruiser is a lost cause vs. a bolt-on-parts-and-roll scenario? Owner says it runs and drives well, and i'm of the thought that if something as stoutly built as one of these was truly bent/messed up, the body damage would look a LOT worse, but that's not just gut feeling. Halp?

The late cherokee 2 dr + 5spd is very rare as I understand, had to be factory ordered.

I believe it should have the awesome AX-something trans and the 4.0 is the 4.0 as far as I know. I agree with you about the oil pump. I'd be all over that jeep if I were you. Actually, I'd have been all over that comanchee pickup in the classifieds first if I were you, but then, I'm not.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/24/14 12:33 p.m.

Oh dont tell me that... I want a land cruiser.

I'm sure for whatever reason the Cruiser wont work out and i'll have to get the Cherokee anyways, though.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/24/14 2:37 p.m.

Land Cruiser was rolled. Could probably get it mechanically good within my budget but it was just on the wrong side of ugly for me.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
10/24/14 3:03 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Land Cruiser was rolled. Could probably get it mechanically good within my budget but it was just on the wrong side of ugly for me.

you would think that would qualify under "pertinent information one should post to their car add".

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/14 3:31 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

Ive already sold the Comanche, to a guy from VA with a rusty Cherokee that he was going to swap parts from.

also Sidekick/tracker/x90 > all

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/24/14 3:31 p.m.

You'd think so, but.... insert ethnic comment here.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/24/14 3:44 p.m.

96-2000 RAV4. I just bought one. Manual 4WD's are a biatch to find, but auto's are easy. Look for one with 3 buttons over the radio. The left button is the center diff lock. FWD cars only have 2 buttons. Or look for one with a 4th character in the VIN of 'H' for a 4 door or 'Y' for a 2 door, as those would be 4WD.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/14 3:48 p.m.

Then do this with it:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=329874

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/24/14 3:51 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/24/14 3:52 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: will to live fading... Just buy something already.

I will post this again.. This thread is stupid..

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wSxRsCygXieIAPjwIqtPuhSwBZwr7OOBLb37ZLdyK0d6AU5XXDU2HfQENP7oppZ3