boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/21/20 8:09 p.m.

Thanks to the winter, a new house purchase, and the quarantine, my new neighbors have no clue how loud my racecar is. I'd like to keep it that way, so I'm thinking of building a quick and dirty bolt-on muffler that I can attach to the back of the car for when I'm rolling it around the driveway and loading it / unloading it from my trailer.

Does anyone have any tips / tricks for building something like this?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
4/21/20 8:13 p.m.

V-bands are your friend

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
4/21/20 8:25 p.m.

Depending how your muffler/exhaust is made you might be able to use a slip in baffle similiar to a motorcycle.  Just slip it in and secure it with a wingnut or screw. Usually called a "DB Killer"

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/22/20 9:21 a.m.

Just to be pedantic, Laguna pipes usually refer to a way to send the sound to the left of a car to avoid the sound booth on the right of the track. 

turn downs aimed sideways or up are often what you see.   

Rodan
Rodan Dork
4/22/20 9:39 a.m.

I had to do this with our Camaro to pass sound at our local track (with the stock exhaust!).  

Some V-bands and turn downs did the trick, and I can rotate them as desired.  During my experiments I discovered 'up' is louder to most nearby ears.  In the driveway 'down' had a pretty significant effect when idling around.  Only modified one tip on each side, because in 'track mode' all the exhaust comes out through those tips.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/22/20 11:12 a.m.

These are somewhat effective and can actually be left in place since the overall flow area is actually greater than the diameter of the tube it sits in.  You could probably fab one from a conical seive like grandma used to strain the seeds out of her blackberry jam recipe.

Summit Racing SUM-629020 - Summit Racing® Exhaust Insert Cones

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/20 11:21 a.m.

Back in the 70s the IMSA RX 3s would come off the track and they'd pop a glass pack in the end of  the exhaust they were held in place with bungee cords, and yes they'd be sticking out the back. It quieted them down in the paddock.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/22/20 1:42 p.m.
Rodan said:

You'd definitely want to point them the other way if you were going to Laguna. :)

boxedfox (Forum Supporter)
boxedfox (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/22/20 2:34 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) :

Well, thanks to the unique geography of my neighborhood and my driveway, if we can turn the sound up and to the left it would actually point the loud noises away from anyone who might complain. : )

But these are great suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
4/22/20 2:40 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Yup.  Orientation shown is for Arizona Motorsports Park.  Sound meter is on the left.  wink

Nugi
Nugi Reader
4/22/20 2:50 p.m.

Personal (kinda ghetto, very cheap) methodology:

I drill a hole a few inches from the tip long enough to get a wire through the middle of the pipe. I stuff 2-4 stainless scrubber pads in, and secure them with some random wire thru the hole. Kills a decent amount db, and easily removed/tuned with different number/type of scrubber pads. 

$5, but my neightbors consider it priceless. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ahwOeHYMkFZe8Nt8kT5amt4lRVmyIKxzzBk3FSPReo0HEqcS1PwbN7Cyyj1YANdN