stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
2/16/13 8:28 a.m.

My 2001 z71 ZAVurban has over 220k, and being the crazy guy i am, i want to build an lq4 to replace the 5.3.

My number one concern is reliability, then low priced, then tq, then hp.

My so far my foggy plan is stock bore/ stroke , aftermarket rods and pistons (maybe just pistons) multi layer steel headgaskets ( what brand???) arp headstuds, "shorty" headers turned forward , and a 60-70 trim turbo. maybe a cam, trailblazer ss intake manifold , 90mm throttle body...?

it's kind of a crazy plan to have a "fast-ish" 4wd suv , and I lifted it a bit... but i figure it's a different path for me ...

ANY input is welcome....

Bumboclot
Bumboclot Reader
2/16/13 10:41 a.m.

Input? Do it!
And get yourself one of those $100 (LS9?) blower cams.

This from a guy who is going to DD a loud, lowered (to about 2WD height) 4WD Ranger.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/16/13 11:15 a.m.

And why aren't you done yet?????

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
2/16/13 11:19 a.m.

While I like your enthusiasm...

Just supercharge the stock 5.3L. Or, do nothing but bolt the itty-bittiest turbo onto it for insta-spool down low. You said reliability, then low priced. Mine maintains OEM parts, and will work out cheaper than what you are doing (unless you are a fab and tuning god). You can get 5.3L's for nothing with low km's, or get brand new shortblock for cheap as well.

I bet you could buy a well thought out kit for the stock 5.3L for the same cost (and waaaaaaaay less work) than your plans. Boost makes displacement irrelevant.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jbYriPepeZMtUCUuG2M4roCae4XOoBJn4zFFq1rHV6rCsPZwNxxMXkhqMtptvd6j