1 2
Wicked93gs
Wicked93gs New Reader
1/18/20 11:41 a.m.

Honestly, I think those lego kits are a waste of both time and money:

I built a set with minimal waste simply by doing one piece at a time...first header build at that. I ended up with almost no wasted bends....just a bunch of small straight sections I cut from the 180s. In tight engine bays like mine its not incredibly difficult to build, but it is time consuming installing and removing 50 times. The tubes ended up equal length to within 1"(The hardest part is actually getting a good consistent measuring method which I guess the lego kits might help with)

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/18/20 12:31 p.m.

Could you buy a 3D printer for less than the plastic kit, then print out (and later sell) your own "blocks"? When you're done - you'd have a 3D printer for other stuff.....

I've never used the blocks, but my labour is free.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/20 12:42 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

Could you buy a 3D printer for less than the plastic kit, then print out (and later sell) your own "blocks"? When you're done - you'd have a 3D printer for other stuff.....

I've never used the blocks, but my labour is free.

I don't know how much the header kits are, but you can get a small printer for stupid cheap. I actually bought two, one larger and less DIY kit (ender 5 plus, thank you black friday!), and the cheapest delta type diy kit I could find that was complete.  That was under $150, but I believe would do these Lego bits well. There's other consumables involved of course to make them.

Edit: Ender 5 Plus and Cheap Ebay delta kit

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/20 10:25 a.m.

Well we did not spring for buying the lego kit or printing a copy with a 3D printer, but we are happy with the first header and will duplicate the process for the other side soon. Used a kit with pre-welded stubs and collectors to simplify the process. These are tacked only, we will have them Tig welded and then jet-hot coated.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 10:40 a.m.

BTW, if you have a 3D printer you can print out your own "lego" kit:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2634399

There are other diameters available.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
2/28/20 11:53 a.m.

When I did mine I used foam pipe insulation and put a stiff wire in between the foam split where the adhesive is. Merge collector and parts came from Cone Engineering

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ysOEjf6Z0dKoHabKNaYMkLr1XW4syiTXKgR3OmR9Lo7P4Hca9Bubf4SDsutE2jI