1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/14/18 5:18 p.m.

BULLITT. IS. BACK.

Well, your hunch was correct. BULLITT. IS. BACK.

Posted by Ford Mustang on Sunday, January 14, 2018

Yes, please. 

David S. Wallens
1/14/18 5:19 p.m.

By the way, I liked that from Ford's FB page. I didn't see it on YouTube yet. 

David S. Wallens
1/14/18 5:19 p.m.

And some details from the Ford page:

Commemorating the 50th anniversary of the classic movie starring Steve McQueen and his 1968 dark green Mustang, the new 2019 Mustang BULLITT™ delivers a 5.0L V8 engine with a top speed of 163 mph and projected at least 475 hp. A Dark Highland Green exterior and unique front grille with subtle chrome accents provide a nod to the original and maintain the look that set the standard for cool. Each BULLITT™ comes standard with the GT Premium Content, as well as many of the performance features found in the GT Performance Package, the 12-inch digital instrument cluster with MyColor® and an active valve performance exhaust with a unique black NitroPlate™ finish.*

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/14/18 5:20 p.m.

I can't believe how good that plain black grille with the chrome surround looks. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/14/18 5:26 p.m.

The shifter looks comically large.

Other than that, it is a beautiful car. And normally I don't like dark green cars.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/18 6:11 p.m.

Too bad they couldn't have done it with the 2005 - ?.  When the retro Mustang actually looked a bit like the car from the movie.  Props to Ford for the performance they're offering now, but this current generation is an eyesore.  Bears no more resemblance to the '68 in the movie than the SN95 did.  Yeesh!  

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/18 6:31 p.m.

I like this commercial that pays homage to the famous chase scene:

The driver of the Bullitt is Molly McQueen, Steve's granddaughter.

Dark Highland Green is my favorite color of all time.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/18 6:54 p.m.

What would be even cooler if that was the original Beetle from almost every scene in that movie. cheeky

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/18 6:55 p.m.

The mustang and charger both look mean as all hell in that vid. 

David S. Wallens
1/14/18 7:07 p.m.
yupididit said:

The mustang and charger both look mean as all hell in that vid. 

Well done, Ford, well done. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/18 7:11 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Too bad they couldn't have done it with the 2005 - ?.  When the retro Mustang actually looked a bit like the car from the movie.  Props to Ford for the performance they're offering now, but this current generation is an eyesore.  Bears no more resemblance to the '68 in the movie than the SN95 did.  Yeesh!  

You mean like this, from 2008 and 2009:

There was also this in 2001

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
1/14/18 7:23 p.m.

you guys are missing the bigger story.... the bullit mustang from the movie has been found and apparently it spent some time a few miles away from where I live in Northern Kentucky....

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/14/18 7:37 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Totally disagree on the current mustang. I think it’s awesome and manages to look like a mustang while not being a carbon copy of an old one and while introducing some much needed freshness and refinement to the design. It’s up there with the ND Miata for awesome looking new cars for me. 

David S. Wallens
1/14/18 8:03 p.m.

On a semi-related topic, I have had this page bookmarked forever: How to "Bullitt" your Mustang. (My favorite part might be the Bullitt Celica.)

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/18 8:09 p.m.

In reply to plance1 :

Whoa. I knew about the one found in Mexico, but hadn't heard about this one. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/14/18 8:40 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Ya isn't that funny.  They pass that Beetle about 20 times. Always wondered if anyone else ever noticed that..........of course it's almost impossible to miss. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/14/18 9:08 p.m.

There's a documentary coming on the search for the original Bullitt Mustang

Iconic doesn’t even begin to describe it. The Ford Mustang from the movie Bullitt driven by Steve McQueen was featured in one of the most influential car chases in film history - and until recently was thought lost to the world. Find out the story of its incredible life in this upcoming documentary film, "Little Pieces: The Untold Story of the Bullitt Mustang," from the Historic Vehicle Association.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/14/18 9:25 p.m.

Every time I watch that Steve McQueen clip I tell myself I need to get a Mustang. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/14/18 9:50 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

Yeah.  Like that one from 2008 and 9.  I didn't know Ford did that.  The 2001 is the one I remember.  That 2008 is a whole lot better looking car in my opinion 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/15/18 5:22 a.m.

The other news I heard from Ford was that the Mach 1 name was coming back and was teased with this logo...

Leading everyone to assume that we were getting a new performance hybrid Mustang. Ford has now gone and stated that the Mach 1 is going to be an electric SUV.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
1/15/18 5:39 a.m.

With the large number of significant Mustangs over the past 50+ years I am surprised that they keep coming back to the same tributes.

STM317
STM317 Dork
1/15/18 6:40 a.m.

I'm having trouble adjusting to the new front bumper, but overall that's a really nice looking car.

STM317
STM317 Dork
1/15/18 6:46 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

It seems like "Lightning" would be the more obvious choice for the name of an electrified truckish thing with performance ideals, rather than using the Mach 1 name which is so synonymous with Mustangs. Maybe they have other plans for "Lightning".

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
1/15/18 7:39 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

In reply to Run_Away :

Yeah.  Like that one from 2008 and 9.  I didn't know Ford did that.  The 2001 is the one I remember.  That 2008 is a whole lot better looking car in my opinion 

I can't imagine how you missed it. I see the S197 versions all the time.  Granted, it is a rather subdued package so if you don't know you're looking at one then it'd be easy to miss/ignore. 

The 2001 version is the one I always forget about. I rarely see that one.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/15/18 7:49 a.m.
Ian F said:
A 401 CJ said:

In reply to Run_Away :

I can't imagine how you missed it. I see the S197 versions all the time.  Granted, it is a rather subdued package so if you don't know you're looking at one then it'd be easy to miss/ignore. 

The 2001 version is the one I always forget about. I rarely see that one.

What I find interesting is that both the '01 and '08 Bullitts were available in red and blue, as well as Highland Green. Has anyone ever seen a red or blue Bullitt? I certainly haven't

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J8xxV8TNbdYD62vmcbV3Nu0ZZ3ZFC6HcNZy3DDyaKcUDzcW6jRgLKPry8dzk7tGz