1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/2/16 11:59 a.m.

I took it for a drive last night. Remind me again, why am I selling it?

NickD
NickD Dork
12/2/16 1:59 p.m.

I remember one of my friends bought a really scruffy but original '89 coupe (It even had the HUD, although it no longer worked) for $800. They proceeded to do the Rustoleum paint trick (It came out good too) and hosed it down with about $2500 in trick suspension parts, while leaving the 12-valve KA and driveline alone. It also received the name Norm The Nissan somewhere along the line. He tosses the keys to me one time and we're driving and I remarked on how well it drove for being as low as it was (Practically worm-decapitating) and he goes "And it never bottoms out or rubs tire anywhere." He then adds "It does have a bit of bumpsteer though" right as I hit an expansion joint and practically changed lanes by itself. Yeah, a bit. That car kicked some ass at the Tail Of The Dragon, although the drivetrain wasn't particularly sporty or inspiring

It kicked around with them for a while and he pieced together a V8 swap kit and salvaged a Trailblazer SS LS6 but never got around to swapping it before selling it off to another friend who just let it sit and then sold it again.

Only photo I have is post suspension swap, pre-paint job when they jokingly gave it eyebrows and mustache. His road-race prepped DB8 Integra that he also never finished before trading it off is visible to the left.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
12/2/16 2:51 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I took it for a drive last night. Remind me again, why am I selling it?

'Cause you're a dope.

David S. Wallens
12/2/16 2:57 p.m.
OldGray320i wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I took it for a drive last night. Remind me again, why am I selling it?
'Cause you're a dope.

Pretty much. Too many cars plus not enough time.

t25torx
t25torx Dork
12/2/16 3:25 p.m.

I miss my '91 a lot. It was my third car and the first manual transmission car I owned. The digital speedo with HUD made it feel like a jet fighter. I didn't have the money to do much to mine except a 5 lug conversion with Q45 front brakes and stainless lines, anad a cheap ebay carbon fiber hood.

If this was an SE coupe I would gladly bid on it. Good luck with your sale and thanks for keeping it clean.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
12/2/16 5:42 p.m.

Only thing that would induce me to sell that car if I owned it was threat of divorce if it did not go.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/4/16 6:21 a.m.

Oooh, I think I know this one! Is it because whenever you go for a drive, you pick one of your other cars ahead of this one? Maybe one that is parked behind it, that would have to be moved out of the way to free the Nissan?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/4/16 7:10 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Too many cars plus not enough time.

And space. Pretty much what's keeping me from bidding on it.

Thanks to you guys, I now have an account at BaT (so I could bid on the Miata). Which has led me to bid on a Passat W8 6 spd wagon and a BMW 850i. Much like eBay, don't surf BaT while drinking.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/4/16 8:36 a.m.
Toebra wrote: Only thing that would induce me to sell that car if I owned it was threat of divorce if it did not go.

I told my wife, prior to getting married, that if she thought she might have the "it's me or the car" speech in her to back out now

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/4/16 2:39 p.m.

It's only up to $2,500 on BAT. I've seen drift hulks going for more.

David S. Wallens
12/5/16 3:41 p.m.

One more day to bid!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
12/5/16 5:36 p.m.

My past ebay experience is a 40% price lift in the last hour.

$2,600 with 22 hours to go.
I predict right about $4,000.

I have no idea if the sniping is as prevalent on BAT.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/5/16 6:33 p.m.

$4,000 would be a bargain for that car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/5/16 6:44 p.m.

I may have to register and pay attention. $4k will piss off Mrs. Deuce but not so much that I can't deal with it.

David S. Wallens
12/5/16 7:06 p.m.

Small update: a/c works!

David S. Wallens
12/6/16 11:09 a.m.

And the auction closes later today. Yeah, I'm also wondering what it will bring.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/6/16 11:40 a.m.

i logged in to bid and it hit my ceiling. not that i need another store it for the winter car.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/6/16 11:44 a.m.

@ $3K w/ 4 hrs. remaining. $5500 at close, my guess.

lurkers FTW

David S. Wallens
12/6/16 3:03 p.m.

Less than an hour remaining. We'll see the final price here.

Yeah, I'm really bummed about this one.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
12/6/16 3:36 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

LOL

And he follows through!

I'm surprised it's still so cheap

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/6/16 3:36 p.m.

So I'm high bidder with 4:00 left.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/6/16 3:38 p.m.

And it's over $4k. I'm out. Probably for the best.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/6/16 3:43 p.m.

This is the first time I've watched a BAT auction end real time. It's fun! $4800!

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
12/6/16 3:43 p.m.

$4800 noice!

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/6/16 3:46 p.m.

Auction sniper, that was fun. Reminds me of my ebay days.

Congrats on $4800... eeez good?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9zYHasfEOLSx3kT75oUHqR0eBJ5UPwjkupZz8tm6nf7GPqY9X7ZvkgyzEj26clT