Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
11/11/20 8:37 a.m.

You’ve seen it in cartoons: A feud is sparked, leading one character to threaten another with a gun. His nemesis quickly puts him to shame by pulling out an even bigger pistol. The two continue this game of one-upmanship, drawing ever larger and more threatening artillery until their weapons can be seen from the moon, barrels wrapping around the Earth. …

Read the rest of the story

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/20 10:10 a.m.

This was my dreamcar in highschool. I ended up getting a Galant vr4. An Evo 9 MR in grey would be lovely. I kind of like the X the most though. 

This is making me relive my evo dreams.  crying

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
11/12/20 5:53 a.m.
yupididit said:

This was my dreamcar in highschool. I ended up getting a Galant vr4. An Evo 9 MR in grey would be lovely. I kind of like the X the most though. 

This is making me relive my evo dreams.  crying

Same here! I never made the leap from DSM to Evo, and I still would like to some day.  Compared to the WRX or STI they were much more special, far fewer made and really no parts were shared with other Mitsubishi platforms (unlike the WRX/Sti which shared nearly everything with a base model impreza, however this makes finding parts far easier).

Very clean examples still go for nearly the original sticker price, and now even higher for pristine examples.  It seems like the market for these hit bottom somewhere in Mid 2000's, and has only been rising since.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-mitsubishi-evolution-ix-42/

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/12/20 9:24 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

I see the prices now and cry. I should've bought a clean stock ix when I could. One of the few cars I like stock,  most are modded to hell now. 

The RS is very special 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/12/20 9:33 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Exactly.  You have two choices: hacked to death or pay a pretty penny. 

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/12/20 10:34 a.m.

After driving a friend's Evo VI-Tommi Makinen Edition in '99 or '00 ... I was hooked on Evos forever. Bought the Evo VIII as soon as they hit the US market in '03.

It wasn't quite as cool as the VI-TME, but I loved it. Served as my daily driver, winter beater, track car, and ice racer for 5 years and 60k miles. Surprised a LOT of Porsche owners at Mosport and Tremblant.

I sold it for just a bit less than what I paid for it new. Even back then (2008-2009) it was tough to find a properly maintained, adult-owned example. I bet it would be nearly impossible to find one that isn't totally beat to E36 M3 today.

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
11/12/20 11:51 a.m.

In reply to LanEvo :

It definitely is! I've kept an eye out for one of these for several years now and there haven't been any that I want to afford. Prices are definitely going up for the nice ones and are nearing the point of many of the new 'competitors" in the similar class.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
11/13/20 6:08 a.m.

I have always been a Subaru guy but loved the Evos too.   IMO some of the best times in WRC were when Subies and Mitsus competed against each other. I am still shocked how far the Mitsubishi brand has fallen in the States.sad 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/13/20 8:56 a.m.

Give Subaru credit, at least they imported their wagon. Mitsubishi never exported the Evo wagon.  JDM only.

We did get a single year import of the Ralliart wagon in 2004. I've had mine since 2009. No comparison to the Evo, but it's been a fun and very reliable daily, and it's served as a backup for my ES Miata.

Still, I've always pined for that some of that all wheel drive turbo goodness.

Problem solved.

calteg
calteg Dork
3/12/21 9:12 a.m.

Looks like an Evo II is eligible for import right now. Might be a cheaper option

bmw88rider (Supportive Dude)
bmw88rider (Supportive Dude) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/12/21 10:18 a.m.

Up to Evo 4 is eligible and those run 20-25K on average. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/13/21 8:24 a.m.

Definitely not cheaper, about the same cost, depending on what model you're looking at. For some models, like an Evo 3, or Evo 6 TME special edition, you're looking at potentially $50,000 right now (guessing 6 figures for mint examples when they are eligible).

The issue with importing a JDM Pre-8 Evo is parts.  Yes, some parts were shared with DSMs and other USDM Mitsubishi cars, but a large majority were not!  Even the engine is not common, except for some block parts for Evo1-3 and DSM, after that they are totally different.

For example, on the IV model this was the first to come with AYC, no USDM Evos came with AYC until Evo X.  AYC has a unique rear differential and controls unit, if those were to have a failure, you would have to source parts from a JDM market.  Then you get into the topics of body parts, all of those have to be sourced from JDM markets as well (Evo1-7 included). 

Not a big deal if you plan to just drive on the street, but for a track car or rally car that will see potential damage, its a far better choice to stick to an Evo8-10.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/15/21 8:19 p.m.

I bought my 04 Evo RS the moment I found out they would come with the front LSD and no ABS. I had to go 90 minutes away because the dealers near me were simply not willing to sell me an Evo, very odd conversations. Bought from a great dealer in Bay City, Michigan.

Still own it. Went through a couple phases of almost selling it due to family life issues but it is still with me. 

I think the biggest praise I can mention about the car is, I met a gentleman that was a staunch 350Z performance guy and offered him a test ride he said "Sure!" Went to tell my wife I was going to leave for a few minutes and then he goes "Actually, I don't want to drive it, every guy in my club who drives an Evo sold their 350z/G35 and bought an Evo, and I don't want to sell my Z." 

The steering feel alone is magic!!!

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
3/16/21 5:56 a.m.
Advan046 said:

I bought my 04 Evo RS the moment I found out they would come with the front LSD and no ABS. I had to go 90 minutes away because the dealers near me were simply not willing to sell me an Evo, very odd conversations. Bought from a great dealer in Bay City, Michigan.

Still own it. Went through a couple phases of almost selling it due to family life issues but it is still with me. 

I think the biggest praise I can mention about the car is, I met a gentleman that was a staunch 350Z performance guy and offered him a test ride he said "Sure!" Went to tell my wife I was going to leave for a few minutes and then he goes "Actually, I don't want to drive it, every guy in my club who drives an Evo sold their 350z/G35 and bought an Evo, and I don't want to sell my Z." 

The steering feel alone is magic!!!

Now I'm interested, if you ever even remotely think of selling it you must poll GRM first!  Seriously would love to check it out sometime when the weather improves, stock speec Evos are becoming quick rare, especially an RS.

Prices are all over the place, but they seem to have really jumped up in the last few years. Just in 2015, you could get a 14k mile 2005 RS for $24k on BringATrailer:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-mitsubishi-evolution-rs/

Now, good luck getting one like that under $35k:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-mitsubishi-evolution-ix-42/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
S7HDI2mOXngBQH7l3xVdmt8TpEfHo18lchsAQ0bp0Z8Q2zXlpV8TGmD5dkXkFZu6