Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
11/20/20 8:00 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the February 2014 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

The original Mazda Miata is one of the most perfect driving tools ever created. Sure, other cars have more power, more style or more luxury, but few can tame a twisty back road and put a smile on the driver’s face more efficiently than the early …

Read the rest of the story

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/20/20 8:15 a.m.

If the cooling fans stop working don't trust the temperature gauge.  MSM's over heat easily for some reason, even if you aren't using boost a lot.

The engine is running to hot without the fans even if the temp gauge does not move past center and you are just cruising along. 

This slowly cooks the head gasket.  Which then leaks compression into the cooling system and blows up the radiator.       Literally.    

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/20/20 4:04 p.m.

Great to see the MSM covered. It is an amazing car, especially as a building block for a giant killer. My car has an FM built motor, basically the full FM catalog of go fast goodies installed and the performance is just amazing. Drives like a standard Miata but can kill Porsches on a track. Values are rising fast, so better act fast if you want in on the fun!

jhhyde
jhhyde New Reader
11/25/20 8:21 a.m.

I can vouch after having a fully loaded MSM that it's an amazing little car. For my needs doing some autocross and about to hop on track I'm really pleased with it. Regarding cooling issues perhaps this is only during hot track days and haven't seen the needle climb (yet) during car control clinics in summer and definitely not on highway. The solenoid is absolutely an issue, though is easily cleaned to get it back to rights. I did the FM Little Enchilada and honestly don't really feel a need to go past it. I had a buddy take a ride along so if you want to see some guy car banter as well as hear the FM kit, you can check it out here. (There are fact inaccuracies there for sure, though hey, we're not perfect.) It's a blast and I've had it for 11 years now, fighting rust every season though still loving it. If you can get your hands on one it's nice to see what the engineers can accomplish and yearn for the days when they try again.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/27/20 9:17 a.m.

Never knew that the block had roots from the Capri/323gtx days. Friend of mine had one of these a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
5/18/21 6:59 a.m.

Wow, both the cars pictured are beautiful. Forgot how nice the NBs can look.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
5/18/21 10:01 a.m.

Prices have appreciated significantly over the last several years on the MSMs... even before the current craziness.

They are a great platform, and can be serious performers with some minor mods.

gardnpc
gardnpc New Reader
2/23/22 7:29 p.m.

Had a 2004 for a short time and it was a fun little car.  I always liked the subtle updates to this car.  However, I found that I just didn't fit well inside an NB and sold it to my son.  For some reason, I felt even more cramped than in an NA.  Now I enjoy an NC but still miss the little 2004 MSM.  

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
8/21/22 10:53 a.m.

Hmmm...theres one for sale near me right now. I dont fit in them, but I didnt realize just how limited production of these was. Maybe if its stock, its worth buying and brining back to like new to sit on. 

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/21/22 10:55 a.m.

I always thought the tiny intercooler up front taking up 18% of the front fascia looked so silly on these.

First mod on these would have to be a fmic for looks alone. Other than that, I think it's the most exciting Miata they've released ever.

johnmtaylor
johnmtaylor New Reader
8/21/22 1:53 p.m.

I have owned one for fourteen years. I smile every time I start driving.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mYFOld9PBm25FZf3iVmENdK2PUgPOgoRKQmBZWYT7syKiIXbose14AbANJNSqf4h