JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
11/6/14 9:49 a.m.

Winter is approaching and I have two cars that will need batteries.
I can install them myself, just looking for where the best deals are?

I used to have a good "hook-up" in that my B-I-L worked in the Johnson Controls factory that made car batteries. He could buy unmarked units (blems, seconds, whatever) for $15 each. Since he and my sister have divorced, the relationship is not strong enough to hit him up for a battery.

Specifically for:
'10 Mazda5
'95 Taurus

etifosi
etifosi Reader
11/6/14 9:53 a.m.

Wally world or advance auto online with $50 off coupon - HUGE50 worked 2 days ago for me.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
11/6/14 11:59 a.m.

I bought my last battery from Costco. 80-90ish $

Before that it was usually Advance or AZ silver batteries. That was when gold was, you know, the gold standard. Now they have platinum batteries, so i don't know what they say about Silver batteries now. I used to got to Advance Auto online and if you used the coupon, you could get teh silver battery for the price of the gold and driving to the store an hour later and picking it up.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
11/6/14 2:58 p.m.

I've used the advance coupon twice and think it's a hell of a deal.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/6/14 3:00 p.m.

Advance with a coupon, or find you an Interstate Batteries new you. We just got one for mndsm's Corolla for $40. Refurb, but has warranty and stuffs.

Our blue jeep seems to eat a battery every year or two, so i'll just start throwing $40 batteries at it instead of $120, since it eats them all the same.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz HalfDork
11/6/14 3:08 p.m.

I've been buying them from Advance with 40 bucks off over 100.00 coupon TRT41. Buy online pick up at store. If you need more than one at the same time you'll have to go through the online process for each battery, then take your cores and go pick them up.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
11/6/14 6:48 p.m.

I've had Optima Red Tops in my cars for about 10 years now, including the rallycross car, the tow rig, the GT6 that sits for months at a time (and always cranks right up) and my DD subaru with 110k miles on it. I've never had to replace one. Ever. It's worth the extra money in my book.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
11/6/14 6:51 p.m.

If you check with your local Interstate battery distributor they have "refurbs" which are batteries that they sold to dealers that weren't a battery problem so they took them back as returns.

I was buying most batteries between $35~$50

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
11/6/14 9:32 p.m.

Junkyard take outs available at most Pull-A-Parts. I never keep anything long enough to care about warranties and such.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
11/6/14 9:35 p.m.

Awesome tip on the interstate batteries refurbs!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/6/14 9:43 p.m.
84FSP wrote: Awesome tip on the interstate batteries refurbs!

Yeah, this was money. Saved me 40$ and being stranded in Indy. And the damn thing starts so who cares.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/6/14 10:56 p.m.

run a little bit east to rural king in elyria. they've got them on sale right now for $44-55. they carry exide batteries and they work great for me, i've got their batteries in everything that has needed one, and i've yet to have one die. i even run one down low and charge it back up on the 40 amp quick charger for my car hauler winch.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho New Reader
11/7/14 1:28 a.m.

I don't remember the last time i purchased a battery. Whenever i have one die on me i just put some Epsom salt in it, not as good as new but good enough to start my car every morning. A lot of people do it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
4/23/15 6:36 a.m.

Canoe?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
4/23/15 6:51 a.m.

sorta on probation for the time being

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/23/15 7:58 a.m.

Did hitting the "!" button work like it supposed to?

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/23/15 9:08 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: If you check with your local Interstate battery distributor they have "refurbs" which are batteries that they sold to dealers that weren't a battery problem so they took them back as returns. I was buying most batteries between $35~$50

I do this. They are $50 in my area. I've bought 8 so far and they have performed without issue.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
4/23/15 1:24 p.m.

I had two different Red Top Optimas die just outside of their short warranty period. Will never buy another red top. Now I buy the Advance gold with a coupon since they top out at Platinum now. I figure most of the places I travel have Advance stores fairly close so should always be able to get it taken care of with little fuss.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
4/23/15 2:24 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Did hitting the "!" button work like it supposed to?

what's it supposed to do ?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/26/15 11:49 a.m.

Go to your local Interstate battery distributor, ask for a refurb. Enjoy

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/26/15 1:43 p.m.

Batteries are batteries. If you don't live in -30c (or f I suppose) get the cheapest one you can.

I've never killed a battery in my entire life unless its been frozen. In warmer climates they should easily last 6-7 years.

drdisque
drdisque Reader
4/26/15 3:24 p.m.

up here in Chiberia, batteries last somewhere between 3 and 5 years max.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yn7TwYYoRUc0IjNEjS5AyXPTrButWqTwkRtLRJphH5tPtNZcJfeMPTLYN6gmCZXf