1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/10/20 2:16 p.m.
feature_image

Although we currently have the Veloster N, the Sonata N-Line and the Elantra N-Line, Hyundai has confirmed there are four more on the way, all set to debut by 2022.

The first of the four, the Elantra N, is speculated to be powered by the same 275-horsepower, turbocharged inline-four currently found in the Veloster N. As well, the model …

Read the rest of the story

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:18 p.m.

First....

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:21 p.m.

OK, now that I've had time to read... they were developing a Kona N and now an Elantra N. I may have to risk a divorce in about 2 years

Also Inje Speedium looks like my version of heaven.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/10/20 2:29 p.m.

I looked at a new Veloster N - auto Tranny only and one power level now pushed it out the door close to $38,000 with all taxes.   Guy said I won't find a stick shift one for a while.   

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/20 2:31 p.m.

Wow, the N branding got watered down really quick.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
11/10/20 2:36 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Wow, the N branding got watered down really quick.

Is it Turbo to want more out of life?

Yep - I was wondering how seriously they could be taking the N-line if they have a Tuscon in it. Unless the Tuscon N-line turned out ot be either a very capable off-road package or something absurd like the Grand Cherokee SRT8, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:38 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I looked at a new Veloster N - auto Tranny only and one power level now pushed it out the door close to $38,000 with all taxes.  

Ummm.... what? https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/veloster-n Come standard with a 6-spd manual. The 8-spd dual clutch is optional. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/10/20 2:48 p.m.

You can buy one but manuals are rare for 2021 models.  Here is the cheapest one without taxes or plates.  

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/10/20 3:30 p.m.

Yeah that 2021 price bump is nuts

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/10/20 8:29 p.m.

I want a Kona N with a six speed since the Elantra hatch is no more. 

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/10/20 8:44 p.m.

N line or not, it's nice to see that Hyundai's styling has finally come into it's own.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/10/20 8:46 p.m.

Elantra N looks delicious in sedan form with a performance pack(LSD!!!!!!!). Might look better next to my Elantra Chump Car than my Fiesta ST?

I want, want, want, want, want, want, want x1000 an I30N so badly. Id sell kidneys and maybe a testicle for one in the US. Not both testicles....only one. Wife wants another kiddo so need something to make them.

For real though, the last two sheet covered ones could be a hatch and an SUV. Is the Kona the same size as the Elantra hatchback? If so, that is definitely intriguing. 

11GTCS
11GTCS HalfDork
11/10/20 9:36 p.m.

Stick shift option or “N” will translate to “Not interested” 

One of my neighbors has an Elantra GT hatch with a 6 speed stick and loves it.  It’s a nice ride however I think they dropped the stick option.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/10/20 9:50 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

There's actually two lines: N and N-Line.

N is the real, actual performance stuff that enthusiasts will care about. N-Line is the sporty appearance package stuff without the performance. Kia has the same deal with the GT and GT-Line. Yes, it's confusing. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/10/20 10:16 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine (Forum Supporter) :

Laughs in new Sonata 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
11/10/20 10:24 p.m.

I believe Kona is smaller than Elantra hatch was..

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/20 10:43 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Yeah that 2021 price bump is nuts

they eliminated the non PP trim, which was a good change, otherwise the price went up about $1500 over the old PP?

a bit much, but not as crazy as it might have looked at first glance.

jb229
jb229 New Reader
11/11/20 2:04 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to ProDarwin :

There's actually two lines: N and N-Line.

N is the real, actual performance stuff that enthusiasts will care about. N-Line is the sporty appearance package stuff without the performance. Kia has the same deal with the GT and GT-Line. Yes, it's confusing. 

The guy behind the N program was in charge of the M department within BMW for ages, it's absolutely the same thing as M8 vs M850i and easiest to understand it in that light.

If that Elantra N has the full-bore Veloster N engine and a stick at something vaguely competitive with a BRZ/86 that'll be a real contender.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 8:02 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

Elantra N looks delicious in sedan form with a performance pack(LSD!!!!!!!). Might look better next to my Elantra Chump Car than my Fiesta ST?

I want, want, want, want, want, want, want x1000 an I30N so badly. Id sell kidneys and maybe a testicle for one in the US. Not both testicles....only one. Wife wants another kiddo so need something to make them.

For real though, the last two sheet covered ones could be a hatch and an SUV. Is the Kona the same size as the Elantra hatchback? If so, that is definitely intriguing. 

So I'll donate the second teste if it means I can buy it used from you in 2 years. Not sure that's how it works, but I'm willing to try.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
11/11/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I've heard the term since junior high but is there a market for this sale or donation?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 8:55 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

In reply to bobzilla :

I've heard the term since junior high but is there a market for this sale or donation?

I don't know but if there is I'm'a be rich. I aint got no need for either of them! They been disconnected for years. Pulled the fuse.

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
11/11/20 9:09 a.m.

Lol.

If they were serious about carving out a performance niche, most of those models would come with a manual. I have no interest in a FWD, multi colored appliance with a DCT or whatever contraption they are using to control the driveline.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:21 a.m.

In reply to FatMongo :

In all fairness we are the crowd that "if it's not 2200lbs, rwd and makes 300hp for $13k I'm not going to buy it". And when they do bring out what we ask for still don't buy it. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/11/20 9:34 a.m.

Dear Hyundai,

Your engines and chassis dynamics have improved greatly since the launch of the original Genesis Coupe (model, pre brand split). Bring back a modestly sized rwd coupe with the 270hp-ish turbo lump, limited slip in the rear and let the new chassis engineering team work their magic.

Target RX8 levels of chassis goodness with an engine that you just need to turn sideways that will work wonderfully and bring all the giggles. There's a hole between the BRZ/86 and new Z and Supra that you could fill. That hole is also the sweet spot of price versus performance. The mustang would own this vacancy, except it's massive. Take it Hyundai, it's yours there for the taking. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/11/20 9:36 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Right? If they'd brought the Gen Coupe with this level of engineering available I can only imagine how awesome it would be now. It wasn't bad, it just wanst good enough.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krSZy4AfRiTXbB85cdBxrHVtaR36K61d263MO5uk5yYAW10kXCiJobhkb2XfrL37